• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[Hidden Sun Clan] - Plasma Drive

The wiki is wrong then, and should be fixed. Because you found an error in the wiki is no excuse to keep perpetuating the error.

This is also, by definition, not an inertialess drive as it relys quite heavily on inertia to function.

Zack, effective mass and actual mass are not the same in this case.

Gravity has no bearing on either.

For example if you produce enough anti-gravity to counter act all the gravity your ship produces then you still have all of the mass and inertia that goes with it.

For example: Just because you are in zero gravity, that doesn't mean you can pick up the space shuttle with your hands, it will remain fairly motionless. Or, if the shuttle and the ISS were about to smash into each other, you couldn't stand between them (because they both have effectively zero gravity) and push them apart, you'd be crushed because of their inertia imparted by their mass.

Inertialess drives on the wiki don't even use anti-gravity to generate this effect, they in essence cancel out the mass of the ship with particles that have negative mass (Tachyons). Of course this wouldn't work in real life either, but that doesn't matter because this device does not work in this way.

By generating an anti-gravity field (which is what this device does) the only result it would have would be to push everything away from the ship. It would not be able to accelerate the ship without help from the thrusters nor would it help reduce the effects of acceleration on the crew because it can only uniformly push them all away from itself, not distribute a gradient of force to help reduce the shock of being accelerated rapidly.

Bottom line: You are both confusing Weight with Mass.

To change mass and ultimately inertia, it's better to reshape surrounding space because you get the same sort of general desired effect - even if only in the form of a field not even a picometer beyond your hull's exterior.

Ultimately however if you want to affect inertia, you'll need to affect time or the way in which particles and forces behave through the passage of time which is where I think sub/hyperspacial drives could be used.

How you would make it work however, I have no idea, since altering time in a pocket of space has stark risks and will likely upset the GMs.

It is better if you declare what functionality you're chasing then find ways to attain it.

Since I am tired of the debate about the inertialess component of this drive. Even though it is an established canon tech in the wiki. It is not essential to the drive. The other aspects are fine, and the inertia reduction was only intended to increase the efficiency.

So to eliminate more debate and delay I have removed the interial aspect.

I see nothing wrong with this. I recommend this for approval with my non-existent recommending powers.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn moreโ€ฆ