• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

High Output Nuclear Energy

Kai

Retired Staff
Inactive Member
The name's probably not exactly correct, but it sounds cool. This is Origin's take on presenting Fusion as a power source, with added flair. Effectively, it's just a power source that glows when in use and sparkles when it overheats.

HONEY

I do not see how just because the outer surface glows various colors it makes this a more efficient reactor.

There is nothing that I see in the article that explains why this is as powerful as a comparable sized Aether reactor.

It's made out of metamaterials that can handle higher temperatures and pressures, allowing it to have higher output than standard fusion reactors. I figured if i was using unexplained metamaterials, I'd at least make them stylistically pleasing.

Also, I worte this article on the major assumption that Aether reactors don't have that significantly higher of outputs comapred to Fusion and antimatter, just that their power is limitless in terms of the total amount you can get per unit of fuel (seeing as aether is fuelless)

I came to this assumption after Wes telling me that Aether generators generally have a ceiling on their outputs that aren't much higher than the maximum outputs of other reactors, which is why other energy sources could power FTL travel as well as Aether.

If that's too much, I can just remove it and say that they simply have higher output than comparable standard fusion reactors.

The problem is, Fusion is by its nature a degrading process. Your fuel is converted into a new element, which does not 'burn' at the same temp as hydrogen. So you have to add more fuel to maintain the reaction, but you keep building up waste, (aka Helium), then you either have to change the parameters of your reactor to burn the Helium, or eventually you have to shut it down and flush the helium.

So your metamaterial will not affect how the hydrogen burns, but could said that it allows a reactor to be made lighter and thinner, since a good portion of a fusion reactor is thermal shielding and containment.

And while its glow is a 'cute' concept. In military applications such as mecha it becomes a liability, as it creates a wonderful thermal source for the enemy to lock on to.

Did not say it wasn't cool, nor allowed. Just that it does have a down side in military applications.

Actually, as a self-maintaining power system (it uses the energy it produces to maintain the reaction), an aether generator would be slightly larger per unit of energy compared to other reactors, its only advantage should be unlimited power, which in the essence of scifi logic, should be balanced by something; a larger generator size would make sense. Aether being a deadlocked system, meaning it cannot be technically be improved upon in any entirely useful way, serves as a good measure against which other power sources can be compared.

Using a stylistic metamaterial that allows thinner shielding on a fusion reactor would increase this size-to-power gap, making it an attractive if expensive choice for smaller ships that require an uprated generator but do not have the space to house something larger such as a normal fusion reactor or aether tap. In example, I recall the typical Mobile Suit having compact fusion plants that lasted for a few weeks, this is suitable for any typical starship in the SARP and is more than enough for a mecha or power armor even without accounting the need for an eventual return to the home base.

The only downside compared to aether is the limited run-time, but that's an issue with any non-aether powerplant. The advantage would be smaller size for the same output, a technically and militarily useful option.

Nash- This is not a submission changing how fusion works, it's just simply a somewhat stylized version of the fusion reactor. I am not changing how the fusion process works, or what happens to the fuel after it is used in the reaction. I don't want to go that far, I don't need to, it is not necessary to know that in order to understand that this is a fusion reactor and it makes power.

Seeing as very few if any other fusion reactors go into detail about how it burns the fuel, what it does with the leftovers, etc (maybe yours does, I don't know, but seeing as I'm an auto mechanic and a fiction author, not a nuclear physicist, it's kind of beyond me to explain) I don't feel that it's required of me to explain the basic functions of a fuel that is already commonplace in the setting.

As for Military applications, it'd be rally easy to just hide the thing underneath armor or hull plating, seeing as an exposed reactor is a dead one. As I said before, the glow is mainly a stylistic addition, and has no effect on how the reactor functions, though the reactor's function does have effects on the glowing.

In any case, I changed the end of the topic sentence in the article to clarify that it is more compact and reliable than contemporary fusion reactors- Not Aether. The comparison to Aether was simply its output.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…