• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

How are Power Armors stowed?

Aendri

Inactive Member
Just like the title says, I was wondering how we stowed them in the PA bays of ships. We can't really strap them down, because then we wouldn't be able to get at them fast enough, but we have to restrain them somehow, otherwise and ambush that hit us would knock them everywhere. So, do we have something that explains how to store your PA, or do we just have a general assumption?

The first power armors used here, the NDI's Phalanx, Golem, Ect., Are built on the spot by quantaconstruct pads IE: When they are needed they are built around a soldier and when they are done being used they are deconstructed.

It hasn't been extensively detailed yet, but for the most part tie downs are used in Nepleslian ships to keep power armors from falling about. If time really is an issue the power armors are strong enough to break any restraints they may be placed in.

On Miharu, we have power armor racks. I think most modern KFY bays function similarily. Here's my stab at your question:

Basically, one such rack is a sturdy metal frame with robotic components which holds a power armor like the Star Army's M2 Mindy or the M6 Daisy upright. The framework's hold on the power armor is well secure enough so that loading arms coming from the nearby armory can swing by and lock into place the appropriate modular components.

When a user intends to board an armor, he typically removes the power armor's helmet. The power armor's shoulder armor will automatically swivel open to each side and the chestplate will over up in two halves - a bit like a clamp shell.

From that point on, the person boarding the unit can leave the helmet to hang on the framework (there are handles for hanging handheld equipment while you board the power armor, or emerge from it) and either float herself into the power armor, or otherwise just use horizontal handbars above the power armor to help heave herself up in or out of the power armor.

When the person enters the power armor, she has to wiggle inside the interior insert of the armor - seeing the power armor is upright, it's a relatively straightforward process for the legs. Then sliding your hands into the armor's armored sleeves from the shoulder and up to the power armor's hand manipulator is the next part. From the point the suit senses that both upper limbs are in place (through the SPINE hardware in the back - even for a non-neko) the interior insert will start adjusting to the bulk of the user, going for a snugger fit before securing the power armor's armor plate around him.

By then the suit is mostly operational and ready to go. This'd be the ideal time to don the helmet. Armorers would typically have either already loaded modular components on the power armor before it is boarded. If not, then the power armor has to be properly secured for the mechanized loading arms to do their job properly... as it is far harder to do manually.

Once all that is done, the pilot uses his on-board computer to wirelessly communicate to the support framework to release the restraints on the power armor (the process also has a manual release in case of electronic failure). Power connectors and restrains will pull back, letting the power armor move on its own power.

When a power armor returns, the process of securing it back to the framework is fairly straightforward: simply hang your handheld weapons aside and step back into the framework (there are helpful marking for feet position to that end) and operate it either automatically or manually - the manual process only anchors the upper part of the armor to help an user dismount, making it only a partial process to the automated mode which tightly secures the armor.

The nearby armor has a console which operates the loading arms to grab on pre-prepared modular packages which will then be ferried over to the appropriate armor framework to be installed - this console can be operated remotely, allowing a Mindy II pilot with depleted modular equipment to jettison his old gear, get back into the framework, get secured and then automate the reloading of another modular package... the process takes around 30 seconds, allowing the Mindy II considerable mid-mission versatility.

For more custom loadouts, the loading arms need to have the modules attached manually, or be operated to select and pick components that were already prepared for the occasion for the pilot by technicians before the sortie.

I think that about sums it up. :)

Actually, I'm pretty sure for most KFY armors (or at least the Mindy and Daisy) that they don't swivel open at all. Instead you remove the helmet (or it's already off, I don't know which) then you run your finger down an invisible 'seam' in the armor. Once you do this the armor opens down the center, the left peeling to the left and the right to the right. Then you step backwards into the power armor and it seals back up around you, adjusting as necessary according to size. Then you plop on the helmet and you're good to go.

The racks though, as both Fred and Abwe indicated are what is used onboard YSE ships.

Thanks a lot guys, that helps a lot. And yoroko, that's what I got out of reading the 3A's article, so I think you're right. But, is there any Wiki article on this? If not, I think I'll throw one on,as an attachment to the PA main page. It's something that will probably be questioned again.

mizunoyoroko said:
Actually, I'm pretty sure for most KFY armors (or at least the Mindy and Daisy) that they don't swivel open at all. Instead you remove the helmet (or it's already off, I don't know which) then you run your finger down an invisible 'seam' in the armor. Once you do this the armor opens down the center, the left peeling to the left and the right to the right. Then you step backwards into the power armor and it seals back up around you, adjusting as necessary according to size. Then you plop on the helmet and you're good to go.

I dunno Yoroko. From seeing Hanako and Yui 'train' another person on the YSS Nozomi, and how artwork on the Mindy II showing the frontal breastplate to be a pretty solid thing and the SPINE interface in the back, I figure that it was heavily inspired from the way the hardsuits of the Knight Sabers opened up.

The beginning of the youtube movie I linked to ought to show what I mean, though in truth the internal insert would probably prevent the power armor from opening so widely as Linna's hardsuit does, or to have the legplates this open while boarding. The interior insert is probably stretchy to a point, but I don't think it goes this far seeing its essentially flesh-like... or a synthetic version thereof. The pauldrons would probably need to be attached to the armor's backing instead of the chestplate to allow a more direct connection to the SPINE interface.

When the armors are stowed the neck portion of the Daisy and Mindy II can secure the helmet on. Usually, the signal to signify that you're ready to use the power armor is to remove it - the AIES then proceeds to slide the shoulders outward, out of the way, and open the armor at the neck, probably having the breastplate pivot sternum level to allow room for the pilot to slide in, while keeping the backing straight. Fitting the arms is the easy next step and secures the pilot for adjustment and closure of the armor.

I don't recall there being any seams. I figure that without the benefit of much precedent like me other GMs might have devised thier own way. Seeing I designed the Mindy II, though, I'm just giving the benefit of my educated take on it.

Fred: Could you create a new wiki page for this system you've come up with? It would be a good replacement/supplement for the standard "strap to the wall" method.

Nepleslia also uses something akin to racks, with an automated loading system that places empty armorsuits on the deck to be accessed. Lots of loud metallic noises, grinding gears of big swinging mechanical arms, and sparks.

Lots of sparks.

MoonMan said:
Lots of loud metallic noises, grinding gears of big swinging mechanical arms, and sparks.

Lots of sparks.

Sometimes, I just can't resist going
"Nepleslia! FUCK YEAH, TESTOSTERONE!"
(awesome quote courtesy of Cipher)

Also, Soresu, yes, it probably could. I belong to another RP that uses a rack system to pack fighters into bays.

Hmm... How am I gonna stow my armours? My mission is about to wrap up.

Cipher, have Vincent order some very strong coathangers, pronto.

Oh, sorry Wes. I missed your post requesting I put it up on the wiki.

It looks fairly good... though I think it might be a good idea to create a link in the Daisy or Mindy 2 pages leading to this place (on how to board and outfit a power armor).

I guess that's one piece of technology tested on the Himiko prototypes that bore fruit. ^_^;

RPG-D RPGfix
Back