• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

How do SA NCOs get their commissions?

mizunoyoroko

Inactive Member
As the question implies, how do non-commissioned officers in the Star Army get their commissions? In general this is an IC question vs an OOC question. I understand that OOCly there are several factors that come into play but I'm not really interested in those at the moment, just the IC part.

For instance, can they apply somehow for a commission? Attend classes (CO School), if so can they attend them remotely (while on deployment)? Like the military is there more than one way to attain a commission?

Do you mean how to enlisted become commissioned officers? If so, I would think by recommendation by an officer inn their chain of command and then transfer to OCS.

If you mean how does a junior enlisted become a NCO, I would imagine by a similar process (recommendation by other NCOs and Officers to the commanding officer). If the second one here is what you where going for be aware that, as the name suggests, NCOs do not hold a commission.

Also, as a note, a commission is not something that another officer can just handout (at least IRL). In the US, I believe it is required that Congress approve any new commissions. Battlefield commissions being a different thing (as the are administratively unofficial).

Actually, during a time of war, as declared by the duly recognized government, a battlefield commission is considered legitimate. And since Yamatai technically never ended their war on the Misshu...

Anyway, You get your commission normally today by being selected by a superior. Upon selection, you're sent to OCS, where you specialize in something or other, though usually the OCS specialties are still fairly broad. Once you graduate, you receive your commission. At least, that's how it used to work in the Army. Only reason I know, is because that's more or less exactly what happened with my dad. Only reason he didn't start out as an officer is that he'd never known he was smart. :)

NCOs don't get commissions...that's why they're non-commissioned officers.

Well, so far, we've had them either go to the Kyoto War Collage or just get promoted there by moving through the warrant officer ranks.

Basically, what you do is request being able to attend Kyoto War College in your orders thread, get denied, then wait to get into a plot where the GM will make your character an officer.

I'm not even joking.

Wes said:
Well, so far, we've had them either go to the Kyoto War Collage or just get promoted there by moving through the warrant officer ranks.

Well, it's how it's been happening around Miharu. I try to have my players get some downtime around the point where they either get to NCO rank, Warrant Officer ranks or officer ranks.

It helps motivate timeskips, at the very least.

raz said:
Basically, what you do is request being able to attend Kyoto War College in your orders thread, get denied, then wait to get into a plot where the GM will make your character an officer.

I'm not even joking.

We've had a couple characters in Miharu go through the war college. Timeskipped mostly, but it's happened.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back