• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

How Do YOU Envision Starship Combat in SARP?

Sigma

Inactive Member
After two (!!) years on SARP, I have come to a single conclusion about how starship combat is portrayed in our role play. That is: everyone has their own style and no one follows the actual guide on the wiki written by God knows who. Not saying that's a bad thing. We all know that this is a website that caters to the individual writer's various stylistic quirks.

I cannot claim to have read many plots' threads and become an expert on each GM or player's expectation of starship combat. To make up for that, I'm going to share the various approaches I take to writing starship combat and hope someone else shares theirs as well so that we might all learn something from each other.

1) The Star Wars Method: I love Star Wars and the ship battles are always fun to watch. But they're horribly dumb to write. From my understanding, Star Wars ship combat takes place at relatively low sublight speeds at visual range. Space being as vast as it is, that basically means you have to get really really REALLY close to your enemy. Weapons in the setting are also super short-ranged. The Death Star probably fired the longest shot in any of the films. And aimed fire is ... not very well aimed. Ships don't maneuver, they just fly towards each other, firing badly as they go.

An excellent example of someone using this method is the Mass Effect 3 ending fleet battle when the two sides are closing. Despite the countless reminders about how you gotta aim your guns properly, a lot of those opening shots tend to miss that front rank of Reaper ships. And not because of jamming or anything. After all, those kinetic rounds were just going in a direct line from their origin, which means that those dumb warships were just pointed at the wrong bloody angle.

Speaking of weapons, I note that Star Wars weapons tend to be energy based while missiles come in a distant second. Most warships don't have large magazines full of missiles. They just have a lot of laser guns. SARP differs with a broad range of weaponry from guided missiles, plasma, laser, aether, and good ol' railguns to name a few. Hence, our combat would be far less "simple" than the style pioneered by George.

Visually, it's a good style cos it puts us in a position to view the action. In SARP terms, I consider it to be the "melee" part of starship combat when both fleets have just gotten too entangled and are going at it ship to ship without any formations. At that point, it's every ship fending for itself first consider the ranges.

The David Weber Approach: I don't know if everyone knows who David Weber is but I think he's actually more fun to read than Jack Campbell. More of the latter author later. Weber has written a prolific amount. I've only read three of his series (and only completed one thus far). His most space centric series (that I've read) is definitely the Honor Harrington series of novels, based around a female sci-fi version of Horatio Hornblower.

Ships are sleek and designed with a missile heavy armament. And he favors broadside combat, partly to equate with the 19th century ships of the line that Mr. Hornblower partook in. But he does feature laser weaponry as both main and CIWS armaments since he does acknowledge that missiles cannot be used through out a long battle since they are large and take up lots of space. After several exchanges, both sides will have to close and finish each other off with lasers making things more tense.

While Weber does involve a fair amount science in his novels, they relate more to how ships work than the hows and why of a ship's maneuvering or firing of its weapons. He leaves that more to the reader's suspension of disbelief. I find it makes for a more dramatic read because it allows him to drag these combats over the span of hours.

This is the style I try to emulate most in my writing starship combat because it is fun. I don't want to worry about the physics of things so much as whether that idea makes for a good story. I'm not saying neglect the physics but I don't choose to emphasize it.

He does focus a little bit too much on the "how many missiles each side fired" mathematics a bit too much but, no writer is perfect for everyone. Which brings me to the last type which influences me.

The Jack Campbell Doctrine: For those of you who don't know, Jack Campbell (a pen name) has penned a very engrossing sci-fi naval series called, The Lost Fleet. CadetNewb and I are big fans of it and his writing is really good.

Combat in Campbell's universe is both long and short. It is long in that the battlefields are large and the ships take a long time to traverse them (much like Weber's vision). But when the sides clash, that particular fight ends within a minute or so as the ships fire at each as they approach, then fire as they pass and then they're way past each other. This basically means that computers do all of the aiming, diminishing the human element somewhat from the combat. It also makes things a little less dramatic because it means less writing is devoted to how the combat works and more is given to how the strategy of each battle and its maneuvers go.

But it is useful to note that Campbell heavily emphasizes the maneuvering of ships rather than just straight on bludgeoning attacks the way we see in Star Wars. It shows an intelligent and well thought out method of realistic space combat, albeit one a little too firmly grounded in reality and slowness that I enjoy writing about. I do enjoy how he describes the maneuvers and purposes of each ship, though he remains very vague about the details of each ship (sizes, total armament, crew sizes, etc.)

Another interesting point is that he has the most varied arsenal I've seen so far. Missiles, lasers, railguns and a super short range positron gun that pretty much is a one-hit KO if you can get into such short range. His combat works like Weber's but favors the prow over the broadside. Ships rush at each other so broadsides aren't as important to him and if you can point your front at an enemy's broadside, you're in the advantage while the opposite is true for Weber. Missiles have the longest range, then come lasers, then the shotgun-like railguns and finally that hold-out positron cannon in case nobody was paying attention to you.

As I mentioned, I don't enjoy the combat quite as much Weber's work but the characters are just as enjoyable. So, that's where I'm coming from with my writing for Starship Combat. Anyone else have anything interesting to share?

You said it yourself Siggy; as writers, we all have our own iterations of how space combat goes.

For me, I utilize varies different artists and their methods and how they percieve space combat, and wove it into my own thoeries of how it goes. On SARP, the way I handle space combat depends entirely on the range of the ships when the engagement starts. Missiles, and long range beam cannons are traditionally used. But, as the range decreases, the weapons used changes.

For example, at medium and short range, plasma based weaponry would be used to great effect but missiles wouldn't. At such close ranges, missiles could be picked off almost the second they are fired.

Not only that, but I strongly favor broadsides (as some on SARP know) mainly because it is my personal opinion that the power of a broadside is more devastating that that of a turreted weapon on a mount located on the top or bottom of the ship; this reason is because you can't bring every one of your ships turrets to bare on a single target due to movement limitations. However, broadside based weaponry don't have that weakness, not to mention that because they don't have to worry about the mechanisms needed to 'turn' the weapon, they have more room for additional components to increase upon the firepower of said weapon.

This is why, at least back in the old days of wooden sailing ships, broadside firing was an incredibly effective tactic in taking down a ship. You usually had ships being destroyed outside in the first volley.

Also, something to note, in the third Star Wars movie, a broadside attack 'was' used on General Griviouses ship to great effect; nearly knocking it out of battle.

This is how I picture combat, at least for me and my faction, here on SARP. The most devasting weapons won't be those that are turreted, but rather, it'll be those that are fix mounted - in one direction - they may sacrifice the ability to track their turrets, but if you get caught in a broadside you WILL be hurtin.

Starship combat depends on the many factors. Range, Scale, Environment, Weapons, and lastly the GM's style.

Range
Most combat in Star Wars takes place within line of sight. Which is really close. Why, because it looks cool on the big screen. Star Trek movies have fallen prey to the same mind set.

But why wait to get to so close to fire, we have weapons that can shoot 2-3 light seconds away. Which means those are fire and forget. You fire a beam and it is on its way. Technically the enemy can not see it until its hitting them because the light from the weapon gets there at the same time.

So at long range combat is about predictive nature. Ship A is moving this fast along this path. Fire where it will be 2 seconds later. Of course the counter to it is to have the ship make small deviations. Reduce or increase speed.

Scale
Are you talking a single ship or a squadron of ships fighting an equal number of enemy ships, or are you talking about huge fleets. Large fleets require coordination, to bring maximum fire power against the targets, and to avoid shooting each other or getting in each other's way. Fleet tactics are typically overwhelm the enemy by superior firepower, numbers and position.

If you are dealing with a small scale combat. surprise becomes a big factor. Whoever gets in the first good volley, could very well win. Get as close as you can without detection, and then emerge and fire for maximum effect. Classic naval strategy.

Environment
Most space battles take place in open space. Asteroid fields 'sorry star wars' are really spread out. They are not tight packed like we saw the Falcon dodging around, nor are they moving about.

Some things that could create an environmental factor. Doing battle in a system with a pulsar, or extremely powerful magnetic fields, while they won't hurt your ship, they can play havoc with sensors and targeting, even create pockets where ships could possibly hide.

Weapons
We have an incredible arsenal of destructive weaponry in SARP.

Missiles are typically cheap, and abundant. Want to try to overwhelm a ship, fire hundreds of them. But if you are going to do that do it close. Fire them at a light second and most ships have weapons that can clear the sky, the Plumeria for example its Main Array can be set to a cone, bye bye missiles if they are coming from one direction. This kind of assault is good in a story for a shock and awe. The PC watch in horror as a nearby ship is hit with missiles from multiple vectors.

Energy Weapons, got to love them, as long as you have power you can shoot. But you have to take into account where they are mounted and their arcs.

-------

So all that being said, I envision Starship Combat as a mixture. I prefer to keep it scaled to a single squadron just because it provides more focus on the players.

But if its a fleet operation I try to make sure that I use the items above to make for good background scenes that the battle is set against. I use strategy on both sides, after all no one goes into a battle intending to lose. Like Kyle I love the concept of a broadside, and have used the method I just managed to refrain from call out, "Given a Broadside and send them all to Hell.."

Starship Captains are well aware of their ships capabilities, and will always work to use every advantage they have. The enemy if they have encountered that kind of ship and survived, is going to work to deny them that advantage. I would say starship combat is a deadly dance off.

The two relevant articles we have so far are the work-in-progress Starship Combat Guide and Derran's ancient article A Guide To Space Combat. In the former, we have SARP's range guidelines, which right away tells us that we're not always doing combat in visual range. I will probably be adding some of the comments in this thread to the SARP space combat guide.

I can't really talk for RP but narrative style I like the style of Mass Effect or the climax of Serinity with multiple ship coming at each other. With each class of ships filling a specific role: Dreadnaughts and Battleships hammering away from the back while frigates and fighters ducking and weaving to disable the flagship and force a surrender.

That being said on smaller battles I'd want to see something more in favor of Webber with the tight naval battle format for combat with 1 or two ships per side.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back