Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

"How To" Information for Articles

Should a "How to use" section be required in technology articles?

• Yes

Votes: 5 62.5%
  • No

Votes: 3 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
Discord Booster
🎨 Media Gallery
I recently received this feedback by PM:

There is a huge amount of things, ranging from starships to fighters, intergalactic communications systems to small datapads and a vast range of clothing, personal items, weapons, spare parts and so on. Some of these just need a little common sense, like clothes, everybody knows how to put on clothes (I hope). Others are not so easy. For instance, how does one command a ship’s systems? Do they sit behind a view screen tapping in command on a keyboard, do they mentally speak with the AI’s and computer systems to issue commands or is it something entirely different? The problem is that a lot of things have an explanation of technical specs and how this works, but not enough of how can I work with it.
I agree with this; technology articles do need information on how to interact with the technology, both in terms of using it normally and in maintaining and repairing it. Alternate uses might be good, too.

I wouldn't go so far - as it'd drastically raise the barrier for entry of intrducing setting elements - though I do believe that such would indeed increase the worth of said submission.

I mean, I'm fine with it, but that's mostly because I wanted to do something like it anyhow. I'm just not sure it's a good idea to require it as an additional 'submission tax'.

I can see providing a basic 'usage' or 'operation' section, but maintaining and repairing. I personally do not want to have to start writing technical manuals.

This could seriously become a deterrent to folks submitting stuff.

Wes, you yourself seem fine in doing this aslong as these are bite-sized update. The Plumeria article did not start as detailed as it presently is today.

I do believe this is a thing to encourage - especially for 'lived-in'/'frequently used' article as players and GM interact and help flesh them out. A submission including this likely would have a lot going for it too.

But, yeah, Nashoba and I seem of the same mind on this. We already poke people about getting art, and that already can seem steep to some. Adding something else on top of that and the usual thoroughness tech moderators already display could be tedious.

Also, adding how-tos would increase the amount of reading required in reviewing tech too.

This just makes makes the already daunting task of making a technology article all the more daunting.

Mmmm.. I can see some uses with this but to be honest isn't something like this already basically part of the submissions already? When we write up certain types of technology, such as weaponry and such, we basically explain how those weapons work so something like this wouldn't really fit with that.

Plus, it wouldn't be easy trying to figure out 'which' articles would need this. Not to mention that some people may have problems trying to explain how something works, so it would deter some from creating articles.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back