• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

How Wes deals with spam

Doshii Jun

Perpetual player
Retired Staff
Basically, we have to delete spam on our own. Marking it doesn't really help. I dunno about the other OOC mods, but I know I'm deleting a lot of it.

We need to delete it, instead of mark it, so Wes can go back to all the players with zero posts and suspicious names and delete them from our ranks. I dunno if there's much else we can do.

I suggested the idea.

It would entail a bunch of mods sharing an inbox and being notified by users when spam is on the forums.

Users mark the thread and mods lay the smackdown.

I'd also like to see a sticky explicitly defining what is and isn't spam so spammers see it and thus the concequences of said spam.

Personally, I don't know if the inbox would be helpful (I only check e-mail once a day, at most) but I like the idea of appointing janitors.

I think most human spammers, however, know what they're doing. A sticky really wouldn't turn them off.

I delete spam on sight as well.

I need you to delete all spam posts so that the users will be deleted as I delete the zero-post accounts (which I do every few days).

I'd like to delete it when I see it too. (No hint hint on me being a mod just yet. I'm busy enough.)
I work the 'nightshift' of 'Starmy because of the timezone difference.

Probably, I'm back in school, so I'll be quite busy with homework and such.

If it's fine with everyone else, I have a pretty lacking schedule and can janitor some places.

I think I've been around enough to prove I'm not a spammer. That or I'm very persistent... Ok no, I don't spam. But I can go around and sweep up some garbage off the forum's floor, if no one sees otherwise.

I think we're okay for the time being.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…