Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

"I like swords"

Kai

Retired Staff
Gamerofthegame Post subject: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:23 pm

Oh fighter, you gift us with such wisdom...

Anyway. Here is the question; Beside the Ketsuri Samurai, are there any other organizations that have sword wielders? (I'm not talking about any PAs with swords either. I'm talking about sword wielders.)

I imagine Mishhu would have at least some Samurai likes, as they are supposed to be similar to Neko. I also imagine Eylsians (Spelling) to have some sort, although primarily because I can't get the image of Valkyries out of my head.

The Neps would probably only be for historic culture I imagine, and the Freespacers wouldn't know what a sword was I am betting.

Miss Strangelove Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:44 pm

"Swords? Bah." The machine foreman picks up a 100 lb rivet gun and a high-powered cutting laser. For good measure the foreman also calls over several Junker drones for their armor-rending claws. "Who needs elite fighters when you have the pride of the working class at your disposal? For it is Proletarian might that forges vast empires and fleets! The strength of Samurai, even factoring their mighty ego, cannot compare to our might." </freespacerpropaganda>

Actually, swords are a bit cliche on SARP. Nearly someone in every race uses them; they're common on Lor, I know more than a few Yamataian / Genshin / Neko / Nepleslians players have them, too. Also, for some explicable reason...everybody's swords are made out of starship-hull (or at least high-grade military armor) materials. I guess some people like the "cool" factor and don't realize that anything strong enough to break high-grade steel could snap your arms in half even if you blocked their attack using a superalloy sword.

Edit: Typo fix.

Last edited by Miss Strangelove on Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total

Fred Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:59 pm

Swords are a bit redundant in the SARP, seeing a gun will typically do a better job (see the first Indiana Jones movie).

Some sorts may be owed, but those are only good as long as someone else plays by your rules... which is not often under my watch. I know Kotori doesn't carry her swords around mainly because she sees them as a bit impractical.

Exhack Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:02 pm

The only material that seems to be viable as a sword material would be durandium, simply because it's very light in comparison to starship plating. Sure, it's not exactly starship-grade, but it's better than steel, in most respects.

Gamerofthegame Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:09 pm

We aren't supposed to talk about the silliness of melee combat in a sci-fi setting outside the rare improvised use of things. Although by a RP stance its more fun to play our a sword fight/training then just going "Lol I point and shoot lololol."

But, Fredley... Do the Mishhu have Samurai/equivalents?

Doshii Jun Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:41 pm

Exhack wrote:
The only material that seems to be viable as a sword material would be durandium, simply because it's very light in comparison to starship plating. Sure, it's not exactly starship-grade, but it's better than steel, in most respects.

Ketsurui Samurai carry swords of Zesuaium. They are specific to the samurai; no one else among the Yamataian citizenry can carry them.

Exhack Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:48 pm

Doshii Jun wrote:
Ketsurui Samurai carry swords of Zesuaium. They are specific to the samurai; no one else among the Yamataian citizenry can carry them.

I was avoiding mentioning that. It's fairly common knowledge that they carry them, as is the fact that being in possession of one is an offense punished by execution. I don't really care about that. But since it was defined as an exceedingly dense material, isn't Zesuaium prohibitively heavy to be used by anyone, or am I underestimating the strength of an NH-27?

Soresu Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 4:55 pm

The core of the blade could possibly be hollow.

Doshii Jun Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:06 pm

NH-27 are that buff. Trust me. The blade isn't hollow, so far as I know.

Gamerofthegame Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:25 pm

Are 29s that buff, too? Because they can become Sammies, too.

Soresu Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:55 pm

That or they use swords of a different make (i.e material).

Doshii Jun Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:02 pm

NH-29 are extremely weak in comparison. They're tough as far as humans go, but they're no Schwarzenegger.

Gamerofthegame Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:09 pm

Which leads to the conclusion that either 29s are the most adaptable Katana users ever, or its at least some what hallow or something.

Doshii Jun Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:53 pm

The weight of Zesuaium was never really determined for a long time. Only recently, with its phasing out, did we kind of decide as a community that Zesuaium's real fuckin' heavy.

So when you see a 29 use a Zesu katana, it's probably a plothole. Just ignore it; they go away pretty quick.

Yangfan Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:42 pm

You could just line the cutting edge of the sword with Zesuaium. You don't have to make the whole sword out of it. :p

Doshii Jun Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:28 pm

You could, but the Ketsurui don't do that.

Abwehran Commander Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:50 pm

Abwehran Nightdwellers use swords, but that's only ceremonial and civilian-defensive weaponry. The military/law enforcement really just allows swords so Nightdwellers won't complain about leaving their swords behind.

Gamerofthegame Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:47 am

Actually... Unless Zesu was really OMGWTFBISH heavy... I think that a Neko 29 at least could wield a Zesu Katana. Its not like Katanas are poles or anything, much thinner...

Soresu Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:49 am

You'd be weilding a few feet of heavy starship armor grade metal as a katana gamer. I think for NH-29 nekos they would likely use a lighter one with Zesuaium welded in a strip along the blade's edge.

Zakalwe Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:42 am

Elysians make very heavy use of swords in their infantry, along with an array of spears.

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=xi ... ary_blades

I can't currently find the Spears, but Elysian infantry are very highly trained in them - with a rather different style to the Yamatians. Sekiko will explain more - she's trained in sword fighting.

Wes Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:38 am

O9 Taisho (Site Admin)

No, they are not.

Also, one cannot become a samurai (except by Imperial Decree); samurai are born into their profession as NH-27s.

Avatar of Kohana Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:43 am

Unless of course you decide to become a Kohanian.

The Kohanians rely heavily upon swords, shields, bows, staves, maces, etc. So you can see that it wouldn't be a stretch of the imagination to create a samurai of the Dy'Unnar or Sha'Nai, or just a swordsman/woman from any tribe.

Gamerofthegame Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:58 am

Wes wrote:
No, they are not.

Also, one cannot become a samurai (except by Imperial Decree); samurai are born into their profession as NH-27s.

I know that, but it says 27s and 29s... So that must be changed!

Mishhu bit still stands, though.

Soresu Post subject: Re: "I like swords"Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:16 pm

I don't think there are Mishhu samurai Gamer. Unless you feel like imagining a Mishhuvurthyar in a samurai uniform and wielding a sword going, "HU HU HU I'm going to cut you."

Which in any event seems unlikely.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back