Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Ibesh Subterranean Tank

Might want to modify the radar to ground penetrating radar. Standard radar bounces off the ground and wouldn't be much good to a tunneling tank.

How does the tank move the dirt and rock the grinder breaks up so that the tank can move forward?

Keep in mind that Ground Penetrating RADAR would be ineffective for detecting objects above ground while the tank is underground unless it somehow changed the frequency band of the radiation after it left the subsurface. Also, GPR is incredibly difficult to interpret without extensive training in geophysics (or at least, specifically, in the interpretation of GPR imaging) and is extremely limited when used in clay soils or soils contaminated with large amounts of salt. In addition, it's very different from regular RADAR because it's used as an imaging device, not a detection device (although it can be used to "detect" stationary objects, like unexploded ordnance or mines, because they would interrupt the image). It really would not be effective as a tool for detecting enemies and such from underground, you'd be better off using something like a multispectral sensor array, like you'd see on a starship.

As for the latter part of Nashoba's question, why not just have a bulldozer carriage behind the grinder to push the particulate matter out of the way? I imagine it would look something like the sherman tanks in WW2 that were equipped with giant spinning arrays of flails to destroy mines.

For reference: aep_yimg_com_ca_I_yhst_94511236631939_2164_19452776_.gif

I added a scoup to the image so it can push all the junk out of the way, I also added a better scanner more suited for this line of work, and a Sonar device. Sounds travels through dirt, and the device can pick up sounds from the surface.

I would imagine the tank crews of this machine are highly specialized for this vehicle. They and their troop squads would no doubt be very attached to the individual tank. I envision them being very competitive towards Iske tank crews too.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back