Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Ichabod

Is there a reason that the Ichabod looks so much like the Gecko from Metal Gear Solid 4?

There are two main reasons why this looks like the Geko.

The big one being that the body is made up of a single part from DOGA that worked really well for what I was trying to do. Originally it was used as torso for the original Ichabod. By the time the model reached the current state the part had been stretched a bit, and had a nice extended nose to mount sensors, a great place to put the leg’s ball joints, a flat top to mount turrets on, a slightly angled front to give it that tank look, and enough complexity to keep the top of the model from looking boring. This part also happens to look a lot like the top segment to Metal Gear Rex.

The designs are also both trying to have that plausible near future look. The sensor domes on styled after those on a modern day tank. The over/under placement of the sensors also makes sense for a walker because unlike with a tank, the walker’s height gives it a much greater close in blind spot for any sensor mounted on the top(See: Piloting a walker in battlefield 2142). Both have a turret style weapon mount on the top (because that is how you’d really build a walker, flat top with a turret mount so you can shoot in any direction quickly). Smoke launchers look like the smoke launchers you’d see on a tank.

So I like to think they only look the same because they are the same type of thing, and use similar themes. Kinda like how certain tanks look very much alike despite being made by different manufacturers because they are trying to do the same things.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back