• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Inconsistent Starship Speeds Documentation on Wiki

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a hard post to respond to.

There's an implicit "...and if you don't like it, you can leave" in some of that message that I think isn't intentional, but if that's the site's stance I think I may be in the wrong place. It just doesn't line up with the SARP I have in my mind and I'd rather not stir up problems if I'm that misaligned.
You couldn't be more wrong, man. I spent a whole post talking about something I really love and why and you took away from it that I think if people don't agree they should get out. I think people should stick around and have the cool reasons it's cool retained!!!

You put words in my mouth and a handful of people agree. Continually here people show just how little they care for my opinion. People transpose what they think I said over what I really said, please don't do that to me ever again. I just want to share in what I love, not be put down for your misinterpretation. It's fucking frustrating. I would really appreciate if people show me the respect I show them because I'm tired of giving so much to have people choose cruelty and misrepresentation for me time and again.

To keep it on track, we all agreed in discord that a gun exemption for Nep would add to the faction flavor but Alex didn't agree.

For what it's worth, I re-typed that post several times and checked with a few other people about how they felt about your message before putting my own response together. No one thought you were trying to be mean and neither did (/do) I.

I think pretty highly of you, so I apologize for giving you a different impression. I have a lot of respect for you, the plots you've run, and your general place on the site. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, I was sharing my honest take and made it clear that I didn't think that my take away was intentional.

If your stance is "it's literally in the name, of course it's better", then I can't really argue with that. It would be like going into a KFC and complaining about the lack of burger options. It simply isn't what the place offers. If what I want is a place that sells both, I'm better off going somewhere else instead of trying to change KFC.

Trying to change KFC might get me what I want, probably not, but if I did I might end up ruining it for the people who deeply care that it's a place that is solely for chicken. It still has different types of chicken and the sides are good, they just aren't as important. It's in the name, after all.

And that isn't bad! KFC is successful because of its focus. SARP may be the same way. It might be important that the Star Army has an advantage built into the rules; it might be part of why SARP has been as successful over the years as it has been. I don't think this is the case, but I may be wrong.

This is what I meant by "... And if you don't like it, you can leave." If my wish to see everyone operate on a level playing field is directly counter to the name of the site and what it stands for, then there's no point for me to argue about it. I either have to accept it - or leave. You feel strongly enough about it that it's something you feel is worth repeating. I can't argue with that. I don't want to diminish your enjoyment of the site or your time spent on it.

I feel the same way about the other arguments given in favor of restricting the best guns or the best speeds or whatever else to Yamatai only. To me, the faction's success and identity doesn't require an in-built gate on what the other factions can do. Yamatai, to me, is great without it.

As for the rest - I honestly don't know what to tell you. I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, disrespect you, or behave cruelly. I'm more than a little caught off guard and I hate that I've made you feel this way. It wasn't my intention. I apologize again.

I'm going to see myself out.

Let me put it this way: The Speed Standard is an OOC Rule that places limits on speeds so that creators don't go overboard on ship speeds. It was created as part of a reduction of speeds that helped keep the sector from feeling too "small." The rule is faction neutral. Any faction with the same IC tech level as Yamatai can have the same speeds as Yamatai's ships. The only speed exception Yamatai has ever had was I gave the Plumeria a unique special speed which has been copied by Yamatai's other gunships over the years.

I frankly feel that enjoyable roleplaying and writing is always going to be way more important than numbers on ship stats pages, almost to the point of them not being worth arguing over. Which is why I decided to let Nepleslia have its exceptional speed category that has bugged me for years (like it's been literally been on my "to do" list for at least 5 years) but I've never found it worthwhile to make an issue of it.

It is my stance that the rules should be applied more or less equally to all factions; because submission rules include the speed standards, starship creators deserve one clearly written standard that everyone uses. While the site is primarily about the Star Army, we have and will continue to keep our long tradition of supporting our secondary factions in the best way we can, a tradition I started with the establishment of Nepleslia. Anything that looks or feels like a punishment or penalty for playing in the NDC or Nepleslia instead of Yamatai is simply not what this site needs so I'm not in favor of codifying those in the rules at all.

- - -

@Whisper Please don't give up and go. To me successful means keeping great roleplayers like you around. You're important to me. I'm listening and my PMs inbox is open if you want to talk about it.

To everyone else, just Star Army feels big because it's old, but really it is a tiny community so please don't go shooting inside our spaceship because hostility has a way of ricocheting everywhere. Be kind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back