• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Integrated Configuration Prototype for CFS

Andrew

SARPiverse Culture Dreamer
Retired Staff
Submission Type: Design Configuration Prototype for CFS
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=st ... _cfs_array

Faction:
FM Approved Yet? Yes, Wes has ok'd
For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? (Yes/No) No
Previously Submitted? (Yes/No; explain reason if rejected) No

Notes: The actual CFS functions have not changed, just the actual construction configuration.

If this is meant to more soldily repurpose CFS - the Combined Field System - into the solely defensive role, I am in support of this.

However, if this is just meant to repaint the CFS as something that no longer has a signifiant engineering component to just more broadly integrated it as part of a ship's hull, then, I'm not.

Not to mention that the CFS was meant to be gradually reduced in role to shed the weaponry and propulsion aspects - the former being left to weapons, the latter to fold propulsion.

While this was a technological orientation decision that had been taken before and supported by Wes, for a couple of years now nothing was done about it. Approving this submission as it is merely prolongs that situation.

I, for one, would be happy if Andrew would be willing to be the forerunner for a change that should've happened a long time ago.

@Fred, I think you and I are on the same wavelength on this issue. However a change like that would be up to Wes.

@Wes. What do you think?

My opinion

I think it makes sense for the weapon aspect to be removed from CFS, out of the mere fact that the directed energy weapon is a massive drain on the system (states so in its own description). My goal here very much so was to modify the CFS so that it became a more "modular" component, plus it also defines how player engineer would conduct repairs on the units *The field generator/control modules* themselves - this provides legitimate work for PCs to do in-character It also tasks HSCS for the repairs to the grid structure, giving more legitimacy to HSCS-3 fluids for the purposes they were designed for.

Well, I can say that the Geshrinari Shipyards version of CFS is primarily for shields, and on ships that do not have a dedicated CDD can be used for that but at a loss of shield strength.

@Nashoba

I like the Geshrinari Shipyards version for civilian applications. I kind of hope that civilian ships keep the traditional "coil" type assembly, so that the higher grade military versions remain differentiated.

I do think the propulsion measures of the CFS should remain, even if the weapon aspects are removed.

I can see it for CDD but not for Fold. Our Fold is the super fast mode of travel. I think it should be a dedicated system to get that kind of speed.

Fold features and Weapons features have been removed, moving the CFS to a fully defensive system. Waiting for Wes's take on the edit.

I see no real issue with this. Just need Wes to give his nod to it and I can Approve it.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…