• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: Bounty Hunts [Interlude 3.2] Interviews 3: Interview With a Vengeance

Foxtrot 813

Prettiest Member
Inactive Member
Dawn Station, Sector Nine - Ted's Pub, Late night cycle

Desmond casually stubbed out the butt off the cigarette in the ever-increasing pile of the ashtray. He pushed the small object away from him with an unpleasant sound of metal screeching against metal, which went almost unnoticed by the other patrons due to the loud sound of a vidscreen nearby. The insides of the pub were spartan in their decoration, almost barren with only the bare minimum. Everything was made of metal which was slowly corroding with rust on its border, but at least, no one would give him bad looks for smoking in such a place, provided he kept paying. At least no one that mattered; the yammies were hellbent on a sacred crusade to ban all smoking and bubble-gum chewing in their territory, in the most heavy-handed worlds.

His usual and battered attire was replaced by new, although still utilitarian clothing. The gray jacket was replaced by a desaturated blue, with leather patches covering the areas prone to extra friction like the elbows, sides of his torso and shoulders, under it, he wore a simple white T-shirt, sporting a few dark spots from grease and lubricating oils used to maintain a ship. A dark rigger belt pressed against his waist, keeping the dark grey cargo pants from falling down too much like the punks in Nepleslia liked to wear them, and those were tucked under sturdy work-boots.

The bounty hunter pointed to his empty glass once the bartender walked past, and idly scratched the stubble on his cheeks, paying attention not to scratch on the sensitive and bruised skin. A face that would have been less amicable at most times was rendered even less friendly after the violent climax of his last job in Delsauria, and sported its mosaic of fresh cuts and bruises; even his nose had a bandaid laid horizontally across it because it had been split in the crazy melee in the factory.

He watched the orange, slightly pinkish liquid being poured into his glass again before taking it and turning his attention back to the news being displayed on the vid-screen.

Behind him, with her tongue pinched lightly between her front teeth, a pretty, brunette woman with an all-business face and intimidating metallic eyes stood watching him hesitantly while he took his next drink in hand. She was dressed almost entirely in snug-fitting black clothing, a short-sleeved, mildly low-cut T-shirt tucked beneath a steel-colored belt encircling her little waist, her lower body covered in black leather pants and sturdy-looking dark boots. A very modest amount of makeup was applied to her face, accenting her eyes, lashes, and lips, but not so much as to be ostentatious. In her hand, she held a nondescript Datajockey, which she lifted up to look at, comparing something on the display to the rugged-looking man she saw sitting at the bar several paces in front of her. Ignoring a cat-call from a nearby patron, she drew a deep breath and pushed her shoulders back, clearing her throat, and idly rubbed a spot at the base of her skull, beneath her full head of long hair falling over her shoulders. When the insistent patron whistled at her, she turned her steely-gray eyes towards him, a smarmy-looking, rail-thin rat of a man with a wispy, boyish beard despite his older, grizzled features, and gave him a withering glare. Her striking eyes and upswept eyebrows, coupled with the disapproving scowl on her face, caused the chauvinistic pig to pause momentarily, unable to hide his reaction to her unspoken but very clear demand to leave her alone. She held her piercing glare on him for a second before turning to purposefully head for the bar, paying no mind to the grumbled speculations as to her sexual preference.

Walking up behind Desmond, the young woman cleared her throat softly to get his attention, and stopped just shy of the seat next to him. "Mister Stroud?" she asked, trying to sound resolute and confident, but the hesitation in her voice still peeked through slightly, and the query had already shown that it had a visible effect.

Desmond turned his head around to regard who had called him, one hand reflexively reaching inside his jacket. Realizing that a crowded bar in a very secure station might have been one of the last choices to ambush him made his hand quickly withdraw from the holstered pistol. "What?" He grunted, setting the glass down on the metal table.

The woman didn't flinch as Desmond reached for his gun, but her eyes followed his hand very carefully with practiced attention. "Sorry. I didn't mean to startle you," she apologized with a disarming smile, folding both of her hands across the Datajockey she held in front of her, just below her belt buckle. "I found you in the public dock registry. I understand you own and operate a privateer ship," she explained, and eyed the seat next to him. "Do you mind if I sit?"

The bounty hunter gestured towards the empty seat. "As far as I know," he started to say, scanning the woman as she sat down, "I don't own it. I am the proud mechanic of the Iron Ferret, a cargo ship." He glanced around the bar, looking to see if anyone had heard what she had said, but ultimately turning back when he assumed no one had.

A brief look of confusion crossed the woman's face as she tilted her head slightly, and she looked around the bar as well, trying to see what he was intent on finding. When he didn't press the matter further, she eyed him again for a second before tucking a bit of hair behind her ear with her fingertips, and nodded imperceptibly to herself. As if reassuring herself, she softly cleared her throat again and stepped around the stool at his side, gracefully lowering herself into it as she placed her Datajockey on the bar. "Kira Denere," she introduced herself with renewed confidence, offering her hand in greeting.

Desmond slowly returned the handshake. "And what would you want with a ship mechanic?" He asked, his voice in the same, casual tone but with the addition of an edge of caution behind it.

"Well--" Kira began, swallowing as if something were caught in her throat that cut her word off near the end of the single syllable. Glancing around the bar quickly again, she looked back at him with a faint hint of uncertainty, and leaned in a touch. "I don't mean to sound like I'm trying to unnerve you," she said, lowering her voice, "but isn't the Iron Ferret a bounty hunter ship?"

'You already have, the bounty hunter thought. "Bounty hunting is a strong word," he commented, taking another sip of the strong drink. "What would someone like you want with such a job?" he asked, half joking.

Taken aback a bit, Kira's eyebrows raised and she leaned back in her seat slightly. "Someone like me?" she repeated with a downward inflection, halfway as confirmation, and halfway as subtle, hesitant defensiveness.

"You heard me," Desmond said, staring transfixed at the woman.

Kira swallowed again, licking her lips for a brief second before clearing her throat yet again. "Well, as a matter of fact," she replied with barely palpable indignance, "I served with the Nepleslian NPF for seven years, for starters." She turned slightly in her seat, leaning her elbow on the bar and tucking her Datajockey beneath it as she continued. "I was first in my class on the rifle and handgun range, and a member of a crisis response team for more than half of my time there. I'm no stranger to scumbags, I have a strong back, and I can handle a rough situation. And I need to pay the bills like anyone else," she concluded a bit more resolutely, holding her gunmetal-colored eyes on Desmond's.

"And what's a cop doing looking for a shady job like this?" He asked her, somewhat amused at the story. Whether the veracity of it was true or not didn't bother him.

Kira opened her mouth to reply, but hesitated for a second before closing it again, and slightly drew her lips in between her teeth in thought. Finally, she sighed and glanced to the side in slight submission. "Okay," she started to explain, shaking her head at the bartender when he motioned towards her with raised eyebrows, politely rejecting the offer of something to drink with a gentle wave of her hand. "You're obviously smart enough to put two and two together, so--"

"Wait," Desmond interrupted, raising one hand and finishing his drink. He slid a generous DA bill on top of the bar before jumping off his stool. "I need to stretch my legs outside," he added, feeling every muscle in his body protesting in a dull ache once he stood up again, then began to walk towards the exit, motioning for the woman to follow him.

For a moment, Kira wasn't sure how to react to the rather sudden (and more than a little rude) interjection, and sat there frozen in her seat as Desmond got up suddenly, watching him in slight confusion. As he motioned for her to follow, she didn't move for a second, her eyebrows raised, but finally she shrugged to herself. Standing up, she picked up her Datajockey and hurried to catch up to him. The bounty hunter was waiting for her outside of the pub, right next to the entrance.

"That is a wretched place, I couldn't stand being in there," Desmond confessed, and started walking down the street next to the many stores and residences. "So, you were saying?" He asked.

Moving up to walk alongside him, clasping her tablet in both hands folded in front of her again, she looked over, not saying anything at first as if she expected him to interrupt her again. A number of thoughts were going through her mind, not the least of which was whether or not she was doing the right thing approaching this rather brusque, although admittedly not unattractive, man. She cleared her throat again and continued. "Well, I had a bit of a... 'misunderstanding'... with my superiors earlier this year," she explained, sidestepping a rather obese pair of men walking the other direction who were too busy chortling between themselves to watch where they were going. "Long story short, there was a scandal involving a few other officers in my unit. I don't know any specifics of how, but somehow I ended up taking the fall for them. Nobody could prove anything, so I didn't get in any legal trouble, but to save face, the chiefs ended up dismissing me anyway." She tucked some hair behind her ear again, turning her shoulders to squeeze between a small crowd idly chatting in the middle of the walkway. "So now I have that blotch on my record, and no legitimate law enforcement agency will touch me. And now here I am." She looked up at Desmond, nibbling her lower lip in slight apprehension. "Sorry," she offered after a beat.

The bounty hunter considered what the woman said, twisting his head around and making the tired bones in his neck crack. That wasn't too uncommon in Nepleslia, and from what she was telling him she too had had a similar outcome as he had before he took on bounty hunter. He saw the brief link of kinship in that, saw the opportunity to use that common ground, saw how the same feeling of being wronged and having a career destroyed was all too similar to what he had gone through. He could have said that it had been his greatest idea so far, a freedom of sorts, but instead, he just grunted. "I see," he simply said, swallowing the blood that he tasted in his mouth.

Kira watched Desmond's reaction for a moment, still with her lip between her teeth as she waited for his response. When two noncommital words were all the answer he mustered, she waited another several seconds to see if he would say anything further, her lips slowly parting as if she were trying to hold back the desire to speak for him. When nothing further came, she knitted her brow. "So..." she said in a questioning, leading tone. "What does that mean?" she asked.

"It means," Desmond started to say, turning his head to face the woman, "That I am willing to give you a chance."

The brunette exhaled in relief, as if a huge weight had just been lifted off of her shoulders. "Oh, good," she replied, a bright smile spreading across her face. "I promise you won't--"

In the middle of her sentence, Kira walked squarely into the back of an ID-SOL that had abruptly stopped in front of her bouncing off of the hulking giant as if she'd just walked into a light post. With a soft "oof," she stumbled backwards and fell onto her rear end, her Datajockey landing with a clatter on the ground between her legs. The ID-SOL turned around and looked at what had happened, regarding the incident with aboutas much concern as one would think of an insect flying past, then looked at the bounty hunter. Desmond simply stopped next to her, both hands inside the jacket's pocket, and watched.

Her cheeks flushed bright red, Kira kept her eyes on the ground for a second, too embarrassed to think of anything to say, and knowing she was far beyond the point of pretending it didn't happen. Clearing her throat softly, she picked up her tablet and tucked one knee beneath her, pushing herself back up to her feet as she brushed her knees off with her palms. Giving the back of the now-walking-away ID-SOL's head a venomous look, she turned her head back towards Desmond, but kept her eyes pretty much anywhere but on him. "Um, ahem," she continued hesitantly. "I was saying, 'I promise you won't regret it.'"

"I would hope not," Desmond answered. "I would show you the way to the ship but I guess you already know where it is," he added, fishing out the pack of cigarettes from his jacket. He gave the pack a small tap from below with a closed fist before realizing that he wasn't inside the pub anymore, and promptly put it back in his jacket's pocket again. "You can show up there whenever, just tell them I sent you," the bounty hunter said.

Kira appeared at least somewhat relieved that either Desmond wasn't bothered by her little mishap, or he was kind enough not to call any further attention to it. She nodded and started tapping away on her tablet with one hand, cradling it in the other, in part taking notes, and also to keep her furious blush at least partially hidden. "Well, I do know where it is, but I'm not sure--" she began, then paused in thought, her finger hovering above the tablet's surface for a second before she shook her head and resumed. "No, never mind. I can find it," she said, changing course. Finishing tapping out her memos, she looked up at him, obviously trying to force an expression of complete control of herself, and lifted her chin, smiling reassuringly. "What do you like to be called?" she asked.

"Just my name," Desmond said, starting to walk away. Kira was left awkwardly wondering just which name Desmond was referring to, unable to form words before he walked away, so she just pressed her mouth closed after a nod.

The bounty hunter paused for a second, as if struck by an afterthought, and turned to face the woman. "And Kira," he started to say, waiting for compliance.

Kira jumped almost imperceptibly, lifting her chin again. "Hm?" she asked quickly.

"If I find out that you're lying, I'm not gonna be only problem you'll have," Desmond said casually, as if the phrase was something uttered like it was the most normal thing, but not curbing the seriousness of it. After it was said, the bounty hunter simply started walking down the street, mingling with the moving crowd.

The ex-cop's eyebrows raised a little more, and after another brief pause, she nodded again, watching the scruffy-looking man vanish into the masses. While she did understand the man's caution, she couldn't help feeling just a little slighted by what he might have been implying. Deflating a little once he was out of sight, she sighed and rubbed the side of her neck, rotating her head as if trying to work a kink out of her spine. "Sure," she said quietly, mostly to no one. "Sure thing."

Dawn Station - Sector 8 - Iron Ferret's Docking Bay

The dull, greyish orange of the rusty hangars from Maharombi were replaced by the more vivid white of Dawn Station, which only served to outline the state that the Iron Ferret was in. The scorch marks and other signs of bad maintenance showed on the outside of the formerly pirate-owned ship, and keeping it working on a desirable, or even higher, performance was a long task that both the ship mechanics. Currently, the top cover of the ship's engines had been removed so that these two could do the regular maintenance to it, and all the parts that were to be discarded had been stored on a large metal bin right besides the landed ship.

Further away from it, several boxes were piled, containing the few new parts that had to be replaced and whose functions couldn't simply jury-rigged into working, even by someone like Desmond. The humming of the hangar's air scrubber was rhythmically interrupted by loud clangs as the bounty hunter and Sam worked on the exposed engine, flinging the discarded pieces into the open bin.

Kira, still clad in her black outfit and boots from before, stepped through the access airlock and out into the berth, laden with her belongings and obviously ready for an extended stay. Across her back, a forest green, stuffed-to-the-gills canvas duffel bag was slung by a hefty-looking strap. In her left hand, she carried a long, metallic rifle case, and in her right, an animal carrier of some sort, big enough to accommodate perhaps a small cat or oversized rodent. Her steely eyes turned upwards at the partially dismantled Jinsoku, and the hint of a frown pushed her brow down as she took in the sight. Not only did the ship look positively horrific, especially against the pristine white backdrop of the well-maintained docking bay, but the way it laid wide open before her made it look like it might not even be spaceworthy at all. Drawing her lips between her front teeth, she slowed to a stop and waited for a moment, considering whether or not she should even waste her time approaching the beat-up old ship. Had she become so desperate for work that she was seriously considering signing on with... this?

Finally, with a resigned sigh, she concluded that yes, in fact, she was that desperate, and that the only viable option left to her after this was to degrade herself enough to dress in a swimsuit and serve drinks and snacks to tactless, crass, nasty old spacefarers and dock workers at a skeezy bar someplace. At least taking this route, she could put her skills to good use, and maintain some of her dignity while doing it, provided she didn't die when the hull of this ugly eyesore catastrophically failed as soon as it took off. Resuming her walk, she approached the ship, heading for the clattering noises she heard coming from the stern. "Hel--" she started to call, but her voice cracked audibly, and immediately she felt her face grow hot as she quickly cleared her throat and tried again. "Hello?" she called again, in a more sturdy voice.

There was a last, clattering sound as a dog-sized piece of machinery was discarded into the bin, followed by a rather awkward pause. Eventually, a female face poke out from over the hull, somewhat stained with engine grease and staring with her green eyes at Kira. The other woman brushed a strand of ratty black hair from her face before turning to the second person who was also working on the ship, exchanging a few words that were too low to be heard from where the woman was. The other female moved out of sight, back to the task, and was soon replaced with the lovable, frowning face of Desmond.

The bounty hunter had ditched the jacket that he had been wearing at the bar, and instead only wore the grease-stained white t-shirt over the work pants. A heavy toolbelt hung loosely from his weight, one side being lower than the other because of the heavy pipe wrench and crowbar there. Exhaling a soft cloud of smoke from his nostrils, the bounty hunter flicked the cigarette stub into the open bin and sat down at the edge of the upper hul, turning his back towards the female mechanic. "You handle this from here, Sam," he said, before jumping down onto the metal decking of the bay.

Walking closer to Kira, the smell of lubricants and engine oils was only stronger as he approached. Desmond wiped his face with the back of a gloved hand once he stopped in front of the new arrival. "You weren't lying about carrying your weight around," he noted emphatically.

Kira's lips parted slightly as her frown deepened for a moment, and she looked more than a little taken aback, but at a loss as to how to defend herself. "What? I'll have you know th--" she started, then suddenly looked down at the load she was carrying, and an embarrassed look of realization flashed across her face. "Oh. Oh, this!" she exclaimed, turning red, nervously chuckling slightly, and turned her metallic eyes back up towards him. "Um, sorry," she added apologetically. "Well, you did make it clear what you'd do if you proved me a liar. Or actually, no you didn't. You kind of implied there'd be a problem, but didn't actually..." she continued, and then paused as she realized she was starting to ramble. Clearing her throat again, she shook her head. "Never mind,' she said with a hesitant smile. "I'm here now, and you'll be happy about it, I promise."

"Right," Desmond stated again, still staring at the newest crewmember. He took off both of the heavy work gloves and tucked them in between the toolbelt and himself before turning around towards the ship. "I'll show you where you'll be bunked," the bounty hunter said before starting to walk towards the open loading ramp.

Adjusting how her duffel sat across her back with a shrug of her shoulders and a slight lurch, Kira nodded and followed the bounty hunter up the ramp, looking around her as she did so. She was no expert on spacefaring vehicles, so she couldn't say for certain what tricks that the rusty bucket before her had hidden within its ugly exterior, but she surmised that, despite her preliminary judgments, the ship must have at least a few, if this Desmond fellow was anything like his hazy reputation made him seem.

The rusty and unkept exterior of the Jinsoku betrayed the interior of the spacecraft. What was pockmarked with incidental damage and lack of maintenance was replaced by the clean and well-organized interior as the pair moved inside and reached the ship's circular halway. A particular spot of the corridor closest to the cockpit was discolored and more clean than the rest, and it didn't take long for Desmond to remember that it had been the place where some pirates had been shredded by Lapas' gravity mine. The cables that had otherwise snaked freely throughout the decking when they had taken the ship from its former owners were orderly pinned against the walls and ceiling in a neat fashion, and the vents thrummed as the air scrubbers exhaled the cold air into the inside of the craft. Not being on the scalding heat of Delsauria meant that they could leave the loading ramp down and not have it turned into a sauna due to the station's friendly artificial weather.

The bounty hunter led the way further down until the rear port airlock, which led into the cargo bay. Desmond pushed down a switch and waited for a bit as the airlock's inner engine unlocked and the door slid open into the sides of the wall, revealing the cargo bay inside. Not being a transport ship meant that the Iron Ferret could allocate most of its modest cargo space for other things, and because of that half of the cargo bay's space had been converted into extra quarters, with a row of cabins to either side, and the cargo was left on the middle . Each quarter was divided much like office cubicles that went along either row, by a thin sheet of durandium that gave the occupants of the six cabins visual, but not auditory privacy, besides being smaller than the ship's three original quarters because they were meant for a single occupant. Being also converted to something different from its original purpose, the room's scrubbers struggled to get rid of the telltale smell of occupation, and the tint of sweat and lubricant oils was still present in a small level.

Desmond stepped away from the airlock and moved into the room, the rows of cabins to either side, added with the crades in the middle created two small alleyways so that the crewmembers could exit it. The cargo of the Iron Ferret was tailored to meed the needs of its crew; A group of wooden crates with a flammable warning was piled in the middle with the precious, precious ammo that had remained from the last mission on Delsauria, while other, less important crates were scattered around with the extra rations and clothins that the crew could need. There were no weapons visible, even though it didn't seem that the ship had an armory.

"The entire left row is already taken, so you have the chance to take your pick on the right one," Desmond said.

Kira stepped into the makeshift hallway right behind Desmond and looked around, trying to hide her slight disappointment at the accommodations. Slowly her steely eyes scanned the surroundings from the doorway, still holding all of her belongings for a moment before stepping forward to the row of crates positioned between the rows of doors on either side of her. Lifting her rifle case and the animal carrier atop the nearest crate, she turned to the side and leaned against it for a moment, by all appearances in thought as to which of the cabins on the right she'd prefer to have. After a few seconds' consideration, she looked at Desmond again, and placed one hand on the hip she had canted slightly out towards him. "And the bathroomss?" she asked politely. "Also, is there any schedule in place I need to know? Mess time, cleaning duties, that sort of thing?"

"Lavatory in the main halway, wake up earlier if you want to use it for a longer time. We already have three keepers to take care of cleaning, and if you need to eat you just go to the pantry and grab what you need," the bounty hunter said, turning around to face the woman, "but if you want any of the fancier shit you buy it yourself. You are also free to take anything from these crates within reason, and all your personal effects are to be kept in your quarters, even your weapons." The bounty hunter walked closer to the first pile of crates, tapping it, "the ship currently has spare clothes, food, extra ammo - for a limited number of weapons -, explosives, a crate full of Ripshots and most of the weapons we scrounge after the job," he said, turning back to regard Kira, and noticing the expression on her face for the first time. "It isn't a luxury cruiser, but it gets the job done," he added. 'And won't be used for long,' he also thought.

Nodding along as Desmond spoke, Kira adjusted the strap on her duffel idly, shifting her stance to rebalance its weight. At his last statement, her eyes widened slightly, as if she'd just been caught doing something she wasn't supposed to. "Oh, no, it's fine," she commented quickly, pointedly looking around the converted crew cabins. "It's..." she continued, trailing off as she searched for the right word, then looked back at him with a pleasant smile. "It's... nice. And I like that everyone has their own private space."

The bounty hunter didn't show any reaction to the comment, and simply crossed his arms across his chest, leaning gainst the piled crates. "And what do you got there?" Desmond asked, nodding towards the animal carrier that the woman had set down.

"Huh?" Kira asked, looking around in puzzlement for a brief second to see what Desmond was referring to. "Oh, this?" she asked, settling her gaze on the carrier, and her smile grew as she reached forward to open the latch on the little door, and pulled it open. Reaching inside gently with both of her cupped hands, she clucked her tongue softly at whatever was inside, puckering her lips affectionately. "C'mon little guy... it's okay... come to mama. There you go..."

Withdrawing her hands, she turned and showed him what appeared to be little more than a seven-inch (or so) ball of soft, downy, chocolate-brown fur, punctuated by a cute, buttony face with big brown eyes and a tiny little nose. The creature looked around at its environment as it nuzzled into Kira's hands and wrists lovingly, and started to run a tiny little pink tongue over and over again across her palms. Kira looked up at Desmond, still with the smile, and cradled the little furball under her chin as she turned it to face him. "This is Ozzie," she said.

The bounty hunter stared at the furball with a disconcerted expression. The pain from the small bruises, cut and bandaged split nose only twisted his face further, making the disconcertment seem more like he was annoyed. "Just be careful with it, Haures can mistake it for food, even though he's well trained," Desmond said.

Kira's face fell a little, replaced by concern, and she seemed to hug the little creature a little tighter, eliciting a soft, calming purr from it. "Who's Haures?" she asked.

The bounty hunter chuckled softly, smirking at the question. "Oh, you'll know," he said, still watching the little furball that Kira was holding.

"Okay..." Kira responded hesitantly, still protectively cradling her pet. "Well, I'll make sure to keep him out of everyone's way." Her slightly worried look changed a bit to one of concern. "It won't be a problem to have him around, if I do, will it?" she asked.

Desmond shook his head. "No," he said, uncrossing his arms and standing up straight. "Do you need anything else?" he asked.

Stroking the top of the creature's fur, she shook her head. "Not right now," she replied, eyeing the door on their right, nearest to the entrance. "I'll probably take that cabin, if that's okay."

"It's fine," the bounty hunter said dismissively, and then started to move away to atten back to his duties, but stopped at the entrance of the cargo bay. "By the way, we're all off-duty right now after a very, very stressful job, so don't get too expectant on going for a new job soon," he added.

"Oh, all right," the woman said, again trying to mask her slight disappointment, but smiled a bit anyway. "Well, that's probably good, anyway. It will give me time to meet and get to know everyone." She scratched the furball's "head" with two fingers for another second before making a few soft kissing sounds at it while gently placing it back in its carrier. Ozzie purred a few seconds more before obediently hopping back into its little house, an action that was more than a little suprising to see from something that didn't appear to be anything more than just fuzz. "This might sound silly, you know," she continued as she closed and latched the container's door and turned back to face him, "but I consider myself good company and a good listener. At least I think so, anyway. If anyone is having a tough time with... whatever... just wants a friendly ear, I'm always happy to help." Her cheeks flushed slightly as she looked away for a moment before looking back at him with a shrug. "Just something to consider is all. I'll be ready to go to work whenever you are."

Desmond stood by the doorway mulling over the words for some moments, until he raised his head to stare back at Kira. "Alright, cool," the bounty hunter said, then moved out of the cargo bay and closed the airlock by pulling the lever.

Kira sighed and allowed her shoulders to slump as she rolled her eyes at herself, pinching her lips together. "Stupid, stupid," she chastised herself, shaking her head. Chewing idly on her tongue with a sideways-cocked jaw, she blankly stared at the rifle case and Ozzie's carrier sitting on the crate on which she had one hand resting, before finally deciding to reach forward and pick them up. Moving towards the cabin door she'd selected, she stood the rifle case up on its end on the floor, and turned the handle. The room inside was dimly lit by a small fluorescent lamp on the ship's ceiling, revealing the small cot inside against the wall on the opposite side from the door, hanging by two thin metal rods and splayed sideways in relation to Kira. The empty cabin was very spartan, with a metal chair to one side and a double door metal locker to the other, and since it hadn't been used for a while, dust accumulated on the corners of the small room. Despite the furniture, it was still possible to navigate it without trouble, as well as ample room for her to store her belongings. "Well, he wasn't kidding," Kira sighed, twisting her lips to one side, and pulled her rifle case into the dingy cabin, laying it flat on the ground as she nudged it beneath the cot with her foot. Dropping her duffel bag on top of the bed, she set Ozzie's carrier down on the chair and popped open the door. Sitting down and shoving her bag towards the wall with the small of her back, she leaned back on her hands and smiled as the little furball sprang out of the cage and onto her lap, waddling up onto her stomach as she reclined. "It's not terribly homey, is it, little guy?" she cooed. "That's okay. We'll get it straightened up."

RPG-D RPGfix
Back