Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: ISC Phoenix [Interlude 5] - The Making Of

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luca

The Ultimate Badass
🎖️ Game Master
Inactive Member
INTERLUDE 5 - START!!

One of the things which separated independent vessels from registered and licensed army vessels, be they Nepleslian, Yamataian, Iroma or even NMX is the fact that each of them have a support net under them. If something goes wrong, there's an excellent chance someone is there to catch you. Not quite the case with an Independently manned vessel, since at best you had some shaky favours, good intentions and dumb luck.

Furthermore, a lot of things were missing in Independent ships. In an army, you had weapons, armour and a spiffy looking uniform provided free of charge, and possibly retirement and dental plans. On an independent vessel, the closest thing to a dental plan will involve a sledgehammer. Chances were that the sledgehammer was yours, too.

Second, if you had a complaint with the behaviour of certain members the crew, you could take it up with a human relations consultant and he'd get something done, maybe tell the bugger off and fine him or put him on probation. In an independent vessel, you'd pay tickets to watch people 'settle their differences' like civilised gentlemen/women/its.

Finally, you were expected to wear your uniform proper or face scolding. Whereas on the ISC Crimson Kestrel, home to the crew of the ISC Phoenix, it was a very, very different story.

-

It'd been only a couple of minutes since the crew had successfully retaken the Lady of the Night, belonging to Enzo Bortelli, resident miscreant, rogue and all around loveable do-badder. The crew had decided to take some form of rest after this brain-heavy mission.

"Hey pops," The captain told his father as he walked over to the kitchen on the second deck of the Kestrel and got himself something to eat, idly assembling a salami sandwich.
"Hey so-whoa," Sebastian walked past the kitchen, and decided to keep walking. Luca walked out and went the opposite direction, snacking on the sandwich in hand.
"Hey John," Luca said as John walked past, who stopped dead in his tracks, did a double take and continued walking.

"G'day Mel," Luca mimicked a Delsaurian accent as best as he could.
She was sitting in the lounge watching something on the TV and turned around, "G'day b-WAH," She turned the other way with a blush on her face, "Cripes, boss."
Luca continued on unperturbed and sat down on the couch to Melissa's left, leaned over and grabbed the remote, switching the show to some kids cartoons, then flicking over to a re-run of Dave the Marine III, then over to something that caught the captain's interests.

"Are you feeling deprived of energy? Do you need a fix in a hurry? You need THRUST! Thrust will deliver electrolytes and Protein! Now in MANLY flavour!" The ad then continued in a de-soto voice, "Warning, drinking too much of this will make you become morbidly obese, if that happens to you get a body transfer 'cos we aren't taking responsibility for it."

"Wot are you pondering?" Melissa asked, trying not to make direct eye contact with the captain.
"I have an idea. Call the others. I'd like to discuss this idea with them," Luca decided to tautologise as he finished his salami sandwich and crossed his legs on the couch.

"Yeah, I'll do that, but there's a slight problem, y'see?" Melissa said, finally making direct eye contact with the captain, "Y' can't conduct meetings arse naked!"
Luca looked down at himself, hairy chested, hairy armed, hairy legged, lightly athletically toned and naked as the day he was born, then looked up tilted his head at Melissa with a sidelong grin, "Are you questioning my logic?"
"No shit! Do I sound like I'm discussin' Yamataian Philosophy?!" She stood up and stomped off for a moment before returning with a pair of heart print boxers and threw them at the Captain, getting him in the face, "Put 'em on or yer idea gets unloved."

Luca sighed, "Fine..." He stood up, turned around and put them on, then sat back down, putting his arms over his head in a stretch, cracking his neck then cracking his knuckles.

A certain young engineer was found to be slinking around the kitchen (thankfully) soon after Luca put on some garments. Seiren had spent the last Ketsurui-knows-how-long time working on his shiny new LEAF, modifiying it and learning how to pilot it. How he avoided getting wrapped up in the conflict of the previous chapter is anybody's guess. But other than the piloting, he made more candy - particularly chocolates, which is why he was in the kitchen now. The grease-covered inventor peered into the oven, grinning a grinful grin as he grabbed a glove and pulled the sheet out.

"A-hah! They're done!" He cheered, setting them out on the counter to cool. They were molten hot, and wouldn't be suitable for eating for at least a few hours.

Robert, after realizing he couldn't sleep, walked into the kitchen shortly after Seiren proclaimed them done. He looked over the young inventor's shoulder. "Uhhhh looks kinda hot Seiren." he said as he reached for the tray with one dirty, greasy cybernetic arm. "You sure they done?"

"Well, of course they're not DONE done. They need to cool!" Seiren chided, slapping the hand away. "No chocolate for you!"

"Candy hog." Robert replied with a good-natured horn on his face. "So how are those modifications going on your LEAF?" he asked after a moment of watching the cooling chocolate.

"Well, I got the extra generator secured and powering the weapons, while the main generator powers movement and stuff. The extra generator is also covered and protected by that plate! And I put a bunch of cool stickers on it too!" Seiren told Robert excitedly, childish glee showing in abundance.

"Really? So you're a billboard now huh?" Robert laughed. He sat down at the table and spread his hands back behind his chair.

In the time Uriel had left the commons, picked up a notebook and pen from his room, and returned Luca had managed to startle a quarter of the crew with his antics. The Patrician would be no less unsettled and Luca was in his boxers at the time.

Upon entering the room he froze. His surprise turned into a stern glare. "Captain, would you care to explain why you've decided to display yourself in such a manner in such a public position?" It was evident the Angel was none too pleased with this turn of events.

For the first time in what seemed like decades, Enzo was emerging from his own home freshly cleaned and shaven. The Lady of the Night was placed on the outer edge of the hangar, it's cargo door open to the ship's interior. Enzo stretched as he walked through the threshold, careful not to spill a cup of whiskey he'd poured moments earlier.

Another first since their last visit to Nepleslia Prime, when he was fresh from the escape pod, was that Enzo had left his well-worn duster behind, switching out for a simple sweater and a pair of black slacks. His revolver still hung ominously at his hip, as it always did. The smuggler stretched one more time and trudged on into the corridors of the Kestrel, sipping his whiskey along the way, signature trail of smoke lingering behind him.

Eventually, he found himself in the commons area, passing by a flustered Melissa on her way out. He stopped to say something nice to her, but decided against it as memories of her rifle pointed directly at him filled his head. Then, there was the anger. Why did everybody have to let bygones be bygones? Were they operating on his terms, Enzo would've stuffed Beau out the airlock and felt just fine doing it.

Spying Luca on the couch, Enzo didn't hesitate to plop down next to him.

He didn't savor that moment at all. In hindsight, he wondered something along the line of 'Why did I even do that?'. Too late though. Smith's business shoes brought his business dressed self through the commons area. The Origin Rep didn't pay any attention to the people there though, and instead thoughtlessly grabbed himself a bottle of water from the bar fridge. An why didn't he enjoy, even relish the moment? Smith thought back as he took a seat at a nearby chair, bringing the drink to his chapped lips. 'Last time I got back at one, I didn't enjoy it either.' the young man recalled.

Then and now, he didn't understand why.

Nevaraon said:
"Really? So you're a billboard now huh?" Robert laughed. He sat down at the table and spread his hands back behind his chair.

"Hey, I LIKE Yami NekoNeko!" Seiren defiantly yapped at the man, sticking his tongue out. "Even if the Nepleslian version is absurd."

Robert smiled and raised his hands in surrender. "Ok ok, I believe you." he patted the inventor's shoulder.

Zeta sat in car for few minutes before slowly getting up. Last few swigs kicked in and she could feel alcoholo quickly getting upper hand now. Also her blood circulation went up, as she started moving which only made process faster. By the time she stumbled into the lounge she was even drunker then when she talked to Rob.

She saw Luca and Enzo on couch and Smith on chair nearby. She finished her Gin in one big gulp and walked to the couch from behing, leaning against it. She put one of her armour over Luca's shoulder and other over Enzo's. "Boss, boss, boss!" She started talking all drunkily. "Ahm out of booze, do we have more?" She finished.

She then had a proper look at Luca seeing that he had only his undies on. "Boss? Did somone stole your pants? Or are we having strip-poker night? Cause I dun seen any cards anywhere?" She asked. Maybe it would be proper for her to strip too? Her drunk mind was not sure know what is happening.

"Zeta, Zeta, sit sit sit," Luca asked as politely as he could, "I just figured I'd get the team together to make an announcement or two."
As he watched more people pour in, including the previously absent Seiren, Luca smiled.

"Ladies, gentlemen, I have a pair of ideas I'd like to run by you," The captain said as he leaned in and rubbed his hands together, the wheels of thought turning in his head.
"'Is head seems t' breathe better when 'ee ain't wearin' pants," Melissa snarked, pointing a thumb to Luca's groin and rolling her eyes in distaste.

"My first idea is a fairly simple one, its something which will prove infinitely useful - but we just have to build it ourselves," He then looked over to Seiren and passed him some graph paper with a quick sketch of a right arm with what appeared to be some sort of forearm length glove over it. On the glove were boxes, compartments and tubes, allegedly classifying the item as a 'Grapple Stunner'.

A little date on the top said that this item was first sketched in YE 31.
"I've had this rattling around in my head for a while, and I want to see if I can get this off of the ground and build it into something useful. I'll help you get the materials."

He then paused, "That's my first idea. Seiren, you're welcome to pass the blueprints," A term used very loosely, "Around to see what the others think. You're welcome to have one too if we can get a prototype going."

He then looked around and realised that just about everyone was staring at him being naked, "Also - my clothes are currently being washed."

"I dun wanna sit," Zeta responded still semi hugging two men sitting on the couch. She then tried to listen carefuly and chuckled on Mells comment. Zeta then looked at graph paper before it left Lucas hands. It took her while to figure out what it really was. Gra- something. It was hard to read over someones shoulder in this state. "So boss, if you wanna make this Grope Stunner, wat is the second stuff?" She asked then.

She then laughed again about his lack of clothes. "Doing laundry eh? Well if it will make you feel good I can take my pants off too." She then said drunkily and laughed. He saw her wearing just a towel only hours before getting Lady of the night back.

"It'll makes me feel better." Enzo chimed in, leaning away from the drawing as it left Luca' hands, "Not that Cap'n Pavone's not in great shape or nothin'."

There was the signature cackle to go along with Enzo scooting a little bit closer to Luca, followed by the eerie wild-card smirk which made it unclear rather or not Enzo was playing at Luca just to make him feel uncomfortable. Rough hands snaked their way over to Zeta's arm and Luca's shoulder.

"Maybe everyones in the room oughta takes off their pants, heh. It is laundry day, innit? On second thought..." Enzo straightened in his seat, removing his hands from the offending places, "I thinks I'm satisfied for a more casual air to the evenin'." He nodded to Zeta, with a wink, "I think I'll leave the nudity to yous guys."

Then, without a word on the grapple stunner, he stood and made for the door, hands planted firmly in his pockets. One could almost hear the gears turning as the last bit of whiskey went down his throat and into his soul.

With a a few moments to mull it over, it was pointless to say that he found any relief or had settled on it. There simply wasn't enough time. And to make matters worse, something else caught his attention, causing the confused man to put that train of thoughts down and start something else. 'Luca wants...a grappling hook...like one of those in a toon?' Matthew recalled with fondness watching one where the hero dressed in black, swung from building to building with a similar device, and beat the royal shit out of evil doers in the streets of Nepleslia.

And of course, said recollection and train of thought was further derailed by Zeta proposing the removal of her pants, and Enzo adding to the moment. Matthew tried picturing the woman in said state, but Smith quickly went back to the business at hand. "I think. Its possible sir." he spoke, choosing the words carefully. Even though he was thinking of how to make the device work, his thoughts were still overshadowed by what had happened.

And he didn't want to let slip what he was in his mind at the moment either. 'Thinking aloud' wasn't good for his image, after all. He rubbed his peeling chin. 'Maybe it can't get worse.'

Seiren first responded with a "Hm?" before pulling away from the cooling candy to the table where Luca was. It didn't bother him much that the man was mostly nude. What did bother him, however, was some of the positioning of the things on the plans.

"Waitwaitwait. . . That's way too bulky! All that wasted space!" He mumbled, whipping out a pencil from a pocket. With a few erasing and scribbles, he handed the edited plans back to Luca, grinning. "Now it's less bulky! Still going to be just as heavy, though!"

"Hm." That's all Uriel had to say on the matter. It was a quiet noise, inaudible amidst all the other voices. "Well then I'll be reading elsewhere." Where exactly this elsewhere was the Elysian had yet to decide, but after a brief walk he settled at a corner seat in the dining room and leaned over his book.

The graph paper with Luca's designs for the grapple stunner were eventually passed back to him, and he took a moment to read Seiren's notations. Even though some of it was in technical mumbo-jumbo that'd bore him, the diagrams and pointers and plain language was able to get across to him, "Oh! Splendid suggestions! I never thought of that!"
He then gave Smith a nod, "I like your attitude!" And he then looked over to Zeta, "Sorry honey, you need to keep your pants on, you don't have a good excuse," his voice cheeky and teasing.

As for Seiren's comment about the weight, Luca idly tensed the muscles on his right arm, indicating that he'd be fine, even with the additional weight.
"Now, as for my second point," Luca said as he picked up the remote and looked over to the view screen, "I'm starting to notice something about the way the world around us is treating us."

He then flicked it over to a news station and let the crew watch what was going on,

"...with a bowl of oatmeal. The suspect was held for questioning without further notice." The female Nepleslian news anchor shuffled her papers before starting the next story, "Recently, the people of Nepleslia have been calling for mercenary sensation Luca Pavone and his crew -"

A file photo of Luca and some the team, last seen on Dawn Station, after fighting Vitriol at the factory was shown on screen, along with some snapshots of the damage caused. They looked pretty badass, "- The ISC Phoenix to make a public appearance to answer questions in regards to themselves, their conduct and their recent actions on Dawn Station, as well as their plans for the future."

"The people want us," Luca said as he let the news report continue rattling on about previous good deeds and misdeeds, ranging from the benign to the heavy, he grinned as he continued, "And we're damn well going to give it to them."

"Wot do ya mean?" Melissa inquired, "I ain't sellin' me body fer kicks!"
"I don't mean literally hurl ourselves body wise at the masses," Luca clarified before his eyes looked upwards and he saved that idea for later, "I mean we market ourselves, we get the image out there, we make some waves," A glimmer in his eyes suggested that he was entirely serious about this.

The news report flicked over to a picture of facial photos of the crew identified, "We've got enough balls to take on tactical clusterfucks and come out on top, a PR campaign to make a bit of extra money can't be too difficult!"

"...Mr. Pavone is yet to respond with an answer," The news report finished before flicking to an advertisement for medical supplies.

He then wiggled his eyebrows, "C'mon, it'll be our holiday for now, better than being shot at by any stretch!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back