• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Introducing...

Rob

Inactive Member
thanks to scientists at NovaCorp, a new fighter has been developed! low prices for our first public release model!

available: 150

price: 2500KS each (or 5 for the cost of 4!)

all we ask is that you report back on how these fighters fly and on any major bugs, malfunctions or general gripes you have about the fighter! HAPPY FLYING!

"Midge" NS-1 Light Fighter

Definition: Basic fighter equipped with light armaments. These fighters are mainly used for scouting due to their high speed and maneuverability.

(cubic)
Length: 6m
Width: 3m
Height: 2m

Production: small scale (30-50 per month)

Description: Sleek, matt black fighter that is shaped somewhat like an arrowhead. main engines are sunken slightly past the end of the fighter making it more difficult to see the engine emissions. angled maneuvering thrusters are to be found close to the nose and cockpit while the weapons are mounted slightly further back.

Speed (Atmospheric) : mach 4
Speed (Spacial) : 0.6c

Armaments:

Light Beam Maser Turret (LBM-T) (2): located on the rim around the engines (one on port, the other starboard), these small, computerised turret cannons can fire on targets at almost any angle. Their primary use is the destruction of incoming matter-based ordinance (missiles and/or torpedoes) but can be controlled manually by the pilot or targeted on specific enemies.

Rate of Fire: 2 second bursts with 1 second gaps between them
Effective Range: <5000m
Ammunition: effectively infinite while the ship's engines are active
Primary Use: Point Defense
Secondary Use: Light Assault
Damage: Minimal

Light Pulse Maser Manual (LPM-M) (1): located under the nose of the fighter, this weapon is essentially a maser-based Gatling gun. Individual maser pulses from this weapon do almost no damage but, at 75 pulses per second, this is not much of a problem.

Rate of Fire: 75 pulses per second
Effective Range: <2500m
Primary Use: Light/Medium Assault
Damage: Average/Low

Systems:

Basic Life Support: recycles oxygen for the pilot to breathe, provides the pilot with a reservoir of liquid rich with nutrients and glucose and provides sanitary functions on the form of a catheter.

Fighter HUD: gives the pilot a retinal display that shows vital ship information while also giving the pilot direct access to the ship's sensor and comms network. Includes a visual targeting system (pilot looks at a target to lock onto it).

Fusion Drive/Generator: uses hydrogen from the ship's fuel stores to power the engine and weapons. The hydrogen is fused into helium, producing energy. The helium is then vented through the engines to move the ship. A short burst of hydrogen can be burnt in the ever-classic "afterburner" fashion to propel the ship at extreme speeds at the cost of a great deal of fuel.

Subspace Communication: uses a small generator to send signals through subspace. indiscreet but hard to detect unless you are actively searching.

Is this fighter transatmospheric?

The other thing I'm wondering is if fusion engines would really be able to get up to .6c. I'm not saying they couldn't, but I'm not sure they could, either. (I wonder if there's even a way to tell!)

ANYTHING could get that fast... it would just take a long time :p

remember this is still a test so i'll be expecting a lot of (hopefully) constructive criticism... mostly from Derran no doubt :p

I'd consider adding some small missile-launchers or hardpoints for larger missiles, too.

will do... just considering whether i should add my own missiles or stick to tried and testing stuff

You could provide launchers designed for missiles already produced by WickedArms or Phoenix Arms, for compatability and so you wouldn't have to come up with your own. They probably wouldn't be sold with missiles in them anyway, but the capability to launch them.

"Midge" NS-1 Light Assault Fighter

Definition: Light fighter equipped with light to moderate armaments. These fighters are mainly used for scouting and light assault due to their high speed and maneuverability.

(cubic)
Length: 7.6m
Width: 3.5m
Height: 2.3m

Production: small scale (30-50 per month)

Description: Sleek, matt black fighter that is shaped somewhat like an arrowhead. main engines are sunken slightly past the end of the fighter making it more difficult to see the engine emissions. angled maneuvering thrusters are to be found close to the nose and cockpit while the weapons are mounted slightly further back.

Speed (Atmospheric) : mach 4
Speed (Spacial) : 0.6c

Armaments:

Light Beam Maser Turret (LBM-T) (2): located on the rim around the engines (one on port, the other starboard), these small, computerised turret cannons can fire on targets at almost any angle. Their primary use is the destruction of incoming matter-based ordinance (missiles and/or torpedoes) but can be controlled manually by the pilot or targeted on specific enemies.

Rate of Fire: 2 second bursts with 1 second gaps between them
Effective Range: <5000m
Primary Use: Point Defense
Secondary Use: Light Assault
Damage: Low

Light Pulse Maser(LPM) (1): located under the nose of the fighter, this weapon is essentially a maser-based Gatling gun. Individual maser pulses from this weapon do almost no damage but, at 75 pulses per second, this is not much of a problem.

Rate of Fire: 75 pulses per second
Effective Range: <2500m
Primary Use: Light/Medium Assault
Damage: Average

"Impact" Missile Launcher (Light) (4): Capable of firing missiles at an extremely high refire rate, the "Stabber" is the first launcher developed by NC.
Rate of Fire: can be fired in salvos of 4-20 (20 missile salvo takes aproximately 1.25 seconds to complete)
Effective Range: 75 miles
Ammunition: Low-yield directed-energy fusion warhead (7.63 KT). 20 per launcher (80 total)
Primary Use: Assault
Damage: Moderate/High

Systems:

Basic Life Support: recycles oxygen for the pilot to breathe, provides the pilot with a reservoir of liquid rich with nutrients and glucose and provides sanitary functions on the form of a catheter.

Fighter HUD: gives the pilot a retinal display that shows vital ship information while also giving the pilot direct access to the ship's sensor and comms network. Includes a visual targeting system (pilot looks at a target to lock onto it).

Fusion Generator: uses hydrogen from the ship's fuel stores to power the engine and weapons. The hydrogen is fused into helium, producing energy. The helium is then vented through the engines to move the ship in conjunction with the ship's main drives. A short burst of hydrogen can be burnt in the ever-classic "afterburner" fashion to accelerate the ship extremely quickly at the cost of a great deal of reactor fuel.

Main Drive: NC Gravimetric drive mk.1 (3)

Subspace Communication: uses a small generator to send signals through subspace. indiscreet but hard to detect unless you are actively searching.

Miscillaneous:

Current NC-1 fighters in service: 150 (NovaCorp)
Maximum flight time without fuel supply or engine modification(before generator runs out of hydrogen fuel): 32 hours
Maximum energy output: 5E7 J/kg (*OOC* Derran...I know this is wrong. How do you convert temperature to energy? all i could find is this O_O (1 W/m2K = 0.85984 kcal/h m2 oC = 0.1761 Btu/ ft2 h oF) which i find... confusing...)

Why not just edit your first post?

The updated one looks good!

How does the pilot get into the thing and what's the inside like?

Desperately in need of some basic sensors and a fire control system.

Check out Derran's X-14 for some ideas:
http://ndispacy.tripod.com/taf/xf14.html

I don't think you should try to pimp it out as much as Derran did, but look through his for any basic stuff you left out.

*Pokes Rob* Come on, it's almost finished.

Alas, the Midge may be stuck in development forever! A bit of science, though. The velocity of the exhaust from a starship's engine partly determines its maximum speed. If the ship is travelling faster than the reaction mass that's being expelled from it, it's going to have a very hard time accelerating (and will likely have a hard time reaching that point, in the first place!)

1:1 matter/antimatter reactions are probably the best for high sublight speeds, though the other drawback of this kind of travel is that the ship also needs a regenerative shield to avoid getting torn apart by dust grains. Reactionless drives likely render the first point moot, anyway, and it's probably rendered moot again because intra-system FTL drives are so easy to use that accelerating to speeds like this would be a waste of time for anything other than a wild and crazy attack run!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back