Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

IPG Operator Shades

Sigma

Inactive Member
Submission Type: Military
Submission URL: IPG Spy Shades

Faction: Nepleslia
FM Approved Yet? Yes

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:

Part of the Nepleslia wiki clean up project; the IPG are undergoing renovation and this tech is part of it. The Uno sunglasses were considered and dropped since it would not do for the IPG to get its tech from a Yamataian-owned company. No offense to Nash, Emrys or Tamahagane intended.

None taken. The Uno Sunglasses aren't really spyware. That's why SAINT has their own version.

Since this isn't truly a weapon, armor or ship submission, I'll do without the template.

Right now, my key concerns would be 1) The neutrality of the article, as it is done OOC and in a wiki, and 2) the eyebeam lasers. This article is more or less outright bombastic - I suggest the article be made much more neutral and clinical in its grammar; any IC feelings held by the makers and users, I suggest be very subtly and politely implied in the article instead.

As for the eyebeam lasers, I honestly think this should be purely a 'support and logistics' item with no offensive capability like that, limited as it is. The item is already quite superior to what it is replacing, and adding a weapon system into it will just make both the item itself that much more complex. Instead, I suggest making it into a pair of ballistic glasses - give it PDR 2 eye protection capable of taking a handgun bullet or a pair of 00 Buck pellets similar to some eyewear in real life.

Finally, and a completely optional concern of mine; how about the article get fluffed up more? I'd like to see more details about the how, and especially the effects of when it is working - the clothing scan ability is something I'm sure will definitely appeal to a lot of players. Assuming you know what I mean. Detail can't hurt.

I have edited the bombastic language and made it subtler.

However, the laser is currently non-negotiable. It has been the most popular component amongst the Nep players whom I asked for advice from. I do not feel that it is out of place. It is not an eyebeam laser (a la X-Men Cyclops); it is mounted on the frame not the lenses. Considering the technological capabilities of NAM, I think it is well within the setting's range for powerful miniaturized tech. Since the Uno's can be upgraded, like the SAINT version, I don't see how this is much of a stretch to say that it has a light laser for agents' to kill stealthily, though at a significant cost to battery life. If it is to be removed, then it requires MoonMan's say so. I have linked him to this thread.

Fluff will be worked on in the next couple days.

The laser shouldn't be a problem, in my opinion on the article.

It is a small, compact focused-beam laser worked into the eyewear. As Sigma said, it's more discrete than an X-Men Cyclops optic blast. I also see the laser with more value in utility than actual lethal weaponry. You could potentially use it to cut through a padlock, or create an opening for the user in a steel door. Of course it can also be used as a weapon, but I asked Sigma to tune it down from PDR2 to PDR1; because of its size it shouldn't be outright lethal on the first shot.

The reasons why it should be there are numerous, and I don't see "this item is already better than Uno sunglasses/prior eyewear submissions" as a valid enough excuse to have us remove it. Could you clarify your outstanding issues with the sunglasses for us, Cadet?

The laser shouldn't be a big issue, such things have been a staple of modern spy movies. SARP has the tech to make them real. :)

As for the comments that they are better than Uno Sunglasses. Well that is technically both correct and incorrect. Incorrect because these are spy sunglasses made for operatives, Uno sunglasses are not, and therefore were never meant to be used in that capacity. So it is also correct because they do more than Uno Sunglasses were ever intended to. :)

non-negotiable

Just for future reference: but anything in an article is negotiable.

However, and I don't mean to step on Cadette's toes here, if you intend to keep the laser than please add it as part of the components to the glasses and detail it please.

Kyle: If a submitter says something is not negotiable, that just means they would rather scrap the submission than change part of it.

Kyle said:
Ahhh ok, thank ya. I wasn't aware that was also what it meant.
In this context, it means I will not change it without MoonMan's specific instructions. Having run the idea by him and gotten his approval, especially on the laser, I do not wish to act with a higher clearance from my FM. The removal of the most popular tool is not something I take lightly, Kyle.

As for the comments that they are better than Uno Sunglasses. Well that is technically both correct and incorrect. Incorrect because these are spy sunglasses made for operatives, Uno sunglasses are not, and therefore were never meant to be used in that capacity. So it is also correct because they do more than Uno Sunglasses were ever intended to.
Nashoba, you boggle my mind with your semantics. I salute you.

For the language of the article, we still got "Got off it's butt" and "The same guys who designed them" to fix.

As for the laser, well, I can't quite put my finger on the feeling they give me. It's uncomfortable and unsettling. As you all said, there's nothing wrong with them IC, and we well have the technology for it, so we can keep it. However, this means that the glasses are weaponized, and that a bit more work on the article needs to be done - snatch up the Discharge Information from the weapon template here, and cut it down as needed for the glasses.

The reason for this is to more or less provide information on the laser and all that about it to prevent confusion. Using myself as an example, I was somehow under the impression it was very Cyclops-Like in beam diameter for some reason I can't even explain.

Finally, the Poker Visor - can you describe how a person uses it to cheat exactly? As it is, the article only mentions that it shows others' cards, but not how it is done or displayed. This however, is entirely optional and can be ignored.

*comes storming out of the facility wearing blood smeared scrubs*

Ok, sorry for the delay! Having 2-3 quizzes each day on top of labs isn't easy!

I finally got to sit down and take a good look; right now, it seems that the grammar is perfectly fine now, and the how behind the poker visor is explained. I just hope it doesn't become the worst kept secret in the Kikyo Sector however.

The only thing that's off I would say would be the weapon stats - does it make a sound of any sort? That's left unsaid I believe.

Other than this one detail, the article is good to go I believe.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back