• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 February and March 2024 are YE 46.2 in the RP.

Approved Submission IRIS-MAW

Ethereal

Banned Member
Submission Type: Custom/Experimental Weapon and Ammo
Submission URL:
Weapon - MAW
Ammo -IRIS

Faction:
FM Approved Yet? No
Faction requires art? I've got some.

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? Only the ammo.
Contains New art? Yes
Previously Submitted? No

Notes: It's my first time, please be gentle. I would rename the pages but I'm stuck on mobile while in Vietnam and the option isn't present. I wasn't sure whether to leave the For Reviewers section blank so I filled it in for now.

Last edited:
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
The page seems to lack text in many sections, including the one after the page title. Everything's in bullet lists.

The artwork appears to be non-SARP artwork of a real gun.

I think Ethereal was talking about using creative commons or what he called "placeholder" art and I told him it would be okay if he had bought it, it was creative commons, etc.

If there's too many bullet lists etc there shouldn't be, I used the weapon/ammo template provided on the forums and this is where it got me ><

Also Ame is correct, I'm using a CC image for both pages to give an idea what I'm talking about but I have no money to commission actual artwork for them

I've edited the typo flagged by Meta too ^^

I've put a paragraph on each section, hope that's helped ^^

Edit: Tagging @Wes since I think this should be the final iteration (hopefully)

Last edited:
This weapon and its ammo article are overpowered. Please find a way to bring them into SARP standards.

Also, the art needs to be tweaked. Will talk more on that after we touch on the OP-ness.

Could you please recommend any changes? DRs etc? I based it's capabilities off the SLAM in general (obviously with the splash exchanged for range) and @FrostJaeger gave me what he thought would be appropriate damages.

Well, the ammo in general is what I'm looking at. It has the ability to bore through armor, it is super-charged for when it gets into the armor to give it an extra push or mid-flight, and can contain agents of chemical warfare. It's almost like this is too much for one piece of ammo to be able to do.

Fair points. I could separate the booster off and make it be entirely powered by the MAW to fix one of those issues.

As for the bore and payload being too much together, I could replace the bore with an extremely armor piercing tip instead to simplify it down? Just the tip ( :3 ) cracks through the shell, tip splits open, payload releases through the opening?

Now we're getting somewhere. Just need @Wes to approve of those changes are enough for him, but they're enough for me, almost. I think it also needs to be something Ketsurui Fleet Yards gets the blueprints for and begin making for the Star Army. Is that in line with what you were thinking of for the weapon? Go ahead and make those changes, though!

Will do!

The idea was that it would be developed for Elysia once the creator inevitably gets recalled for #MEGA and until then it's not released to the SAoY.

In the JP we're using for the IC development of this weapon it's being filed under personal projects and all the processes to make it are privately funded.

Not sure how this works in relation to SAoY protocols on intellectual property and this sort of thing but that's the idea.

EDIT: Changes completed

Last edited:
The IRIS Damage Quickchart on the bottom of the ammo page makes it sound like the biological weapon, explosive, etc has the biggest effect on the armor, such as:
Biological Normally negligible RP-dependent

Why does the payload have so much to do with DRv3?

Please link to DRv3 on the ammo page.

This is nearly bombastic language:
causes the shell to break through to the operator

The shell itself doesn't have enough force/effect left over after penetrating the super-tough PA armor to do much damage by itself. It's an infantry weapon after all, not a superheavy piece of kit - the IRIS simply doesn't have enough power behind it to do so. It's about as far from a tank shell or conventional bullet as you can get.

Its only purpose is to at the least reach the operator past the armor, like a syringe. The payload does the damage once it's released from the shell. The actual IRIS does very little alone because all its power was diminished breaking through the armor.

Imagine injecting someone with acid compared to injecting them with a virus or fluid that explodes when it's released - there's fundamental differences in effects and hence damage. I'd ask Frost for information on that aspect since I deferred to him and he kindly helped me with scaling the damage on it.

I will change the language to more suit your tastes and link the damage system.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back