Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Iroma] Mu'Klamal Space Colony

Nashoba said:
Okay a few things first off,

Need a full text description, pointing to another site is not a text description, also space ships and stations require artwork.

STL speeds need to have km/sec and or miles/sec, use the following page to get that information.

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=gu ... conversion

1: It's incredibly hard for me to put into words how an O'neil cylinder looks. Textually I believe I lack the capability and no, I'm not being lazy.

1.2: I don't have a lot of money, I hate DoGA, and I'm art inept. I know it is blunt, but that is the truth of the matter. Can you suggest an alternative?

2: Since when was this a requirement? I didn't see a notice of any sort beyond what you're just now telling me. Was it submitted for approval, ninja approved? Even submitted for discussion? I'd just like to look at it since I'm curious.

First the requirement is listed right here, and the reason why.

https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=submission_rules

As for how to put it into words, start with what is on the Wikipedia page, and then modify it to fit what you want.

As for getting the art, you could post a request here, we have a number of folks who are good at art programs who could probably do it for you free.

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=5728

Worst come to worst, NASA's old O'neil cylinder artworks are in the public domain and could serve as a placeholder. Note: All public domain images uploaded to the site should go in the public domain images media folder.

Just for reference, I see nothing about needing to list the speed in a specific format. Just that it has to conform to the speed standards, which, so far as I can tell, it does. And on top of that, the only article on there magically skips to being approved without a thread ever having been posted so it could be commented on by the community.

With that in mind, why is it needed, at all? As is noted in there, it's just a converted form of the exact same number that has no special meaning. If they mean the same thing, and give the same information, and there's been no real outcry asking for it, I'm not quite clear on why it's 'required'.

Update: Art requirements have been put in the hands of faction managers now, so this may not necessarily require art (although it's still recommended).

I'll get to fleshing out the written appearance section when I have time which should be later on tonight. Just don't expect anything spectacular. I'm not too keen on trying to detail an O'Neil cylinder.

Before approval happens, I would actually like to see a description on what would happen if there was an actual colony drop using this platform.

I hope you're being facetious. But if not: Colonies aren't made to be used as weapons. Just because it happened in Gundam doesn't mean something like that is necessary.

Ira said:
Before approval happens, I would actually like to see a description on what would happen if there was an actual colony drop using this platform.

Similar large space stations don't have these write-ups, so I disagree strongly on that.

Well as the reviewer, I do not see it as a requirement. Besides I'm not really sure what you mean by a colony drop either.

Widespread destruction. Does that need to be included in every space structure? What if you drove a Chiharu-class into a planet? What if you slammed a Nozomi-class into a planet?

Okay Raz, has gotten involved, this has gone far enough.

In all seriousness the article looks great.

There. I lengthened the descriptor for the colony. However the link stays for visual referencing and just plain referencing material since it is informative.

It's possible I can get you a model of that station and design one, but the problem is and always will be the lack of proper high-rez textures that I tend to use to bring out the quality of a model.

Not to mention, even though the link has some good references, I'd need a few more if any exist. That, and I can't gurrantee 'when' I'd have it ready (I'm actually still working on the internals for the Nesh's, so I'm a bit swamped, but have no problems adding another to my plate for a later date)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back