• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

[Iromakuanhe] Shield Technology

I have some questions about these shielding technologies.

Vector Shroud System: How does compressed space deflect the path of wave/partcle radiation? 'Empty Space' itself does not produce a 'lensing' effect. Now, if there were massive particles in the compressed space, then some sort of lensing effect might be more plausible. You could say that the compression produces a 'gravity lens' effect around such particles (which would make it a gravity-manipulation based shield).

Vector Barrier Shields: How does compressed space obstruct the path of physical munitions and wave/partcle radiation? 'Empty Space' does not possess any innate obstructive properties (or else the Iromakuanhe's MASC drives wouldn't work). Again, if there were massive particles in the compressed space, then some sort of obstructive effect might be more plausible. You could again say that the compression produces an intense 'gravity lens' effect around such particles (which would again make it a gravity-manipulation based shield).

Resistor Barrier Shield: Basic 'energy kill field' at first glance, but when you say 'enforcing the surface tension,' does that mean that it is a 'surface effect,' acting on the actual surface of the object it is protecting?

Repulsor Burst Field: How does inducing small ripples in the fabric of space produce a kinetic force on objects existing in that space? Things exist as a part of the fabric of spacetime, not simply resting on it; rippling space would affect objects in that space like rippling a cloth fabric affects designs woven into that fabric: no appreciable affect from the point of view of the designs themselves.

This would still affect gravity-based tractor beams, as gravity manipulation itself is a type of 'space ripple' if you are taking gravity to be an 'indentation' of spacetime rather than a particle/radiant-type force.

I suppose you could again say (man, i sound like a broken record, here) that the space ripples produce a 'gravity lens' effect within the troughs of the ripple, inducing a gravitation shearing force on objects as the ripples pass over them... but the ripples would have to be an extremely short 'wavelength' for that force to be felt to any appreciable degree.

You've offered the option of considering it a gravitational system, but I would like to put a clarification. The Iromakuanhe have devised space compression in a manner separate from gravitational effects. The analogy I used previously to explain it was that space is represented by a 3D Cartesian plane, and that MASC-type technologies can shift the lines on any of the axis simultaneously, or even split them.

The effect that initiates compression is closer to standard spatial distortion or rift phenomenon, but in the case of these shields, the effect is very much like that of a high-power forcefield, with distortion-based lensing effects. The directed energy weapons aren't bent because of gravity, but because space has been 'pulled' or 'bent' that way.

The Repulsor Burst Field, in essence, is something similar to the forcefield effect that the previous two employ, however, the field is brusquely expanded outwards in a violent manner every few seconds to disengage unwanted objects, like boarding craft, or the stream from a graviton beam. It should be noted that the field itself is independant of the other two shield systems.

I think I was referring to surface effect, but I'm not entirely sure. The idea was the surface is enforced by the field, making it harder to breach.

But at any rate, thanks for the review.

The problem is still that objects exist as part of the fabric of space/time- normally. If these technonogies partially divorce affected objects from the fabric of space/time to allow them to retain their 'internal' space while 'external' space is altered in scale, then this should be stated.

Vector Shroud System: How does compressed space deflect the path of wave/partcle radiation? 'Empty Space' itself does not produce a 'lensing' effect.

Well, assuming space is used to effect, warping it actually moves the offending object around the intended target, preventing damage.

Perhaps the compressed space is also distorted in such a way where only objects exceeding a set velocity are able to enter it. It would make sense for practical purposes.

OsakanOne said:
Vector Shroud System: How does compressed space deflect the path of wave/partcle radiation? 'Empty Space' itself does not produce a 'lensing' effect.

Well, assuming space is used to effect, warping it actually moves the offending object around the intended target, preventing damage.

Perhaps the compressed space is also distorted in such a way where only objects exceeding a set velocity are able to enter it. It would make sense for practical purposes.

I think it would depend a lot on how space is being warped. Even if you twist, bend, compress, and tie space in knots, if you don't actually sever one section of space from the other, and then reattach it in a different configuration, a line from point A on one side to point B on the other will continue to connect the two points, no matter how convoluted the area in between becomes. CFS systems sever the space bubble of the ship from 'real' space; that's how they do their thing.

The compression could be considered artificial lines in space. Essentially, between A and B, you create line DC, which makes direct travel between those two points difficult, if not impossible.

Right but CFS functions via distorted space. Actively distorted space, not passively distorted space.

There aren't any laws prohibiting anyone from using systems like CFS iirc.

A clarification: Most objects are not compromised by the distortion effect of the shields, however, solid munitions may detonate or crumple should they impact directly into the shields at high enough speeds. This is due to the forcefield-like effects I went into detail about.

On some reading, the formal term for a "force field" IS a "vector field" (a vector field indicating the forces exerted by one object on another, including points of strength to dictate a gradient of force).

Just thought it might interest you, ExHack.

Thanks for the information, Osakan. Funny sort of coincidence.

Articles edited to include information that has been presented and discussed in this thread. Awaiting review.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back