Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

New Submission IronHold-class Orbital Defense Platform: MGs Ironwatch

Charaa

Staff Member
🎨 Media Gallery
My first attempt at making a Defense Platform, using a very old art, which i made from reusing parts from Station Omacron. Sorry if this is OP..

It's less a defense platform (it's 1,500 meters at its longest dimension) and more a T14 space station taking the gunship approach with an oversized weapon (taking up half the on-tier allotment). Not sure if we ever combined under-tiered weapons to make an over-tier weapon before. Would be nice to see the exact number of weapons by tier.

Well, a corporation can have five system defense platforms, but they can't have a huge space station. This certainly fits into the huge space station regardless of tier (stated to be 15) based on prose and weaponry alone. The definitions are a bit muddy, but I made the call—why I'm thinking this should just be for the NDC and the NDC get a bit of life into it via Charaa's contributions.

Yeah, having the tiers of the weapons would help in the later nitty gritty, but right now I'm just trying to see how this holistically fits into a corporation's allowances.

There doesn't seem to be a definition for huge space station that I could find on the military buildup limits (hence why I am answering again) as the NH-H1 Hibiscus-Class Mobile Space Station is owned by corporations and it is over 2km at its longest dimension. There is also the Kōdaina Minato-Class Orbital Installation and smaller Tengumo Yugumo own (but are they really a corporation at this point?). This seems like a good opportunity to better define "Huge Space Station"/"Defense Platform" as either function (big f'ing space lasers mounted) and/or size (SAoY star fortresses are smaller than the civilian K.Minato or the super massive Big Green not-planetoid).

Yeah, probably a good opportunity to define them! That should go in the appropriate forum!

The Hibiscus also has two types of weapons, one being DR 10 and one being DR 9. So it's really under-equipped and I'm certainly taking the weapons into account in this submission! I'm pretty sure this can be classed as a huge ass space station not just on size, but on everything happening within the article (especially because size and DR contradict so neither should be considered hard fact).

It's a work-in-progress that requires the submitter input rn. We can see what Charaa thinks and wants to do to move forward!

This is... heavily over-tiered for its size and not manageable within the military buildup guidelines for corporations.

Why don't you just be FM of NDC and make this for them, have mining guild be under NDC purview, and revitalize the faction in doing so?
how i have the mining Guild is the way i want it, something that can be branched to other places.. and its meant to be a defense platform, not a space station. also Station Omacron is around that size or bigger i think. Also if the NDC wants them, the mining Guild is willing to sell plans for it.

Station Omacron is more than double the size of this one (which you retconned in). There's no way for me to even know if it was approved at Tier 15 at the size this one is, but if so then it was done so erroneously and I'm not going to compound mistakes on one another.
meant to be a defense platform, not a space station
Maybe bringing it down to tier 12 or 13 would make more sense, then?

I can also step down as reviewer if you don't want to abide with my measures.

It's less a defense platform (it's 1,500 meters at its longest dimension) and more a T14 space station taking the gunship approach with an oversized weapon (taking up half the on-tier allotment). Not sure if we ever combined under-tiered weapons to make an over-tier weapon before. Would be nice to see the exact number of weapons by tier.
As far as i am aware linking has never been done before, so i wanted to do something new that made sense to me.

Station Omacron is more than double the size of this one (which you retconned in). There's no way for me to even know if it was approved at Tier 15 at the size this one is, but if so then it was done so erroneously and I'm not going to compound mistakes on one another.

It was reapproved, a while ago,

Maybe bringing it down to tier 12 or 13 would make more sense, then?

I can also step down as reviewer if you don't want to abide with my measures.

I turned the 12 to thirteen, and while i dont want you to step down, i do want to see what Wes says. Which admittedly due to things in real life, he may not want to post in this thread at the moment. I just want to make sure it will be able to handle large ships especially large Mishhu ships.

I meant moving 15 down to 12 or 13. Not the 12 to go up to 13 haha

Large Mishhu ships are still usually under tier 13, it'll be able to deal with them.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back