• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Is it possible to make Wiki pages "GM only" ?

Kai

Retired Staff
I have some projects for a plot that I want to work on, but I don't want my players to be able to see any of it until I release the information to them through means of the story.

Is there a way to protect Wiki pages so that only GM's and Admins can see them, similar to the GM planning forum?

Actually.

Yes!

The Star Army wiki uses Dokuwiki as it's... Er. Wiki-ness.

You know what I mean.

In anycase, one of the features of Dokuwiki is the ability to set access restrictions. This goes from not being able to edit pages to flat out not being able to access them at all.

To my basic knowledge, which was only some wiki searchin', Wesley can make a additional group for GMs, @gms, and then set the GM only wiki pages, using =access_restrictions#access_restrictions]this bit, to only be accessable - At all - by members of that group and staff and such.

This means that Wesley will have to manually add in the GMs to be able to see the wiki pages, of course, but it's not like that list exactly changes much, so not much struggle.

So, yes.

You know, we could have a second doku-wiki directory added. It would be much easier to manage than user-groups on a single wiki and access control would be much easier to manage.

Something like http://www.stararmy.com/SecretGMWiki

Literally: just install Dokuwiki into a second directory and have us register as GMs with GM confirmation to join and have it non-readable to non-members so players can't see the content.

Dokuwiki really is just a directory full of text-documents and scripts and is wholly transplantable. For backup purposes, this makes life a lot easier if the login table gets corrupted.

We could have a list of plots and our various scribblings and ideas outlined so our work-in-progress is transparent to other GMs.

We'd have a lot of concept and idea pages and I think it would help us plug our plots together more tightly so we can move forward as a cohesive unit.

It'd also mean we'd be able to ask for feedback on ideas as GMs without constantly hassling everyone on the GM threads on the site and we'd be able to add and make suggestions anonymously to other peoples pages but only other people allowed to view the pages would be allowed to do it!

Thi sounds like a good idea, but I don't really see a point too it? The GM thread works just as effectively, however anyone with access to the subforum can look at anyones work. The origonal idea of making sub groups would be the best bet. Have it be your playground if you're a Faction Manager or a Plot GM. It would make localization for Faction building easier at least >.> I find the Wiki hard to navigate still.

Is this still possible @Wes?

It's still possible, but basically unused.

The point would be to be able to "surprise" players by making setting elements that wouldn't be revealed until the characters find them.

For example if I made an article for a Kuvexian planet that I didn't want to reveal because it had plot spoilers.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back