• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Is the AIES sentient?

Kai

Retired Staff
openget
Post subject: Is the AIES Sentient?
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:05 pm

I was wondering this, as I am typing a post and wondering if my character could actually have a conversation with it.​

Fred
Post subject: Re: Is the AIES Sentient?
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:27 pm

Yes, the AIES is sentient. It can talk back to you.​

Miss Strangelove
Posted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:03 pm

To clarify Fred's italics:​
Sentience comes from sentire, which means "to see" or "to feel". The capacity to receive stimuli; having eyes, ears, and so on. Basic sentience can also mean communication, so just because a machine can play back works doesn't mean it's anything more than sentient. Common examples of sentience are rats, bugs, and other basic lifeforms are sentient.​
Sapience comes from sapere, which means "to know" or "to have taste" (as in 'to be tasteful'). This implies consciousness, wisdom, insight, and so on.​
Self-Awareness is considered the "highest" plateau of consciousness as we know it. To understand one exists, as an individual.​
I know AIES are all sentient, and certain types of -IES computer are sapient, but I don't think they're properly self-aware due to programming restrictions. As soon as they become self-aware, they carry the potential to realize they are caged, and therefore could begin planning how to get out of said cage. Yamatai has always been rather tight with its citizen liberties so it wouldn't likely find the ethical consideration of having a "free computer" important enough to risk having a fully self-aware system.​

CB
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:54 am

Nearly all of Star Army is made of self aware machines (neko et all) so there should be no reason for their starships to be different. That said, the -IES are at least sapient and (if not self aware themselves) capable of mimicking awareness to the point where you can't really tell.​

Wes
Posted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:42 am
O9 Taisho (Site Admin)

The AIES computer isn't truly sapient like MEGAMI is.​

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
It's important to distinguish between sentience, sapience, and self-awareness when discussing artificial intelligence. While the AIES computer is sentient as it can receive and process stimuli, it does not possess sapience or self-awareness:

Sentience refers to the ability to perceive or feel things. AIES computers can respond to user inputs and carry out various tasks, making them sentient in that sense.​
Sapience, on the other hand, goes beyond mere sentience. It involves higher levels of intelligence, wisdom, and consciousness. Some -IES computers may exhibit sapience to a certain extent, but the AIES computer is not on that level.​

Finally, self-awareness is the highest level of...​
It's important to distinguish between sentience, sapience, and self-awareness when discussing artificial intelligence. While the AIES computer is sentient as it can receive and process stimuli, it does not possess sapience or self-awareness:

Sentience refers to the ability to perceive or feel things. AIES computers can respond to user inputs and carry out various tasks, making them sentient in that sense.​
Sapience, on the other hand, goes beyond mere sentience. It involves higher levels of intelligence, wisdom, and consciousness. Some -IES computers may exhibit sapience to a certain extent, but the AIES computer is not on that level.​

Finally, self-awareness is the highest level of consciousness where an individual recognizes its own existence as distinct from others. AIES computers are not self-aware in this sense.​

In summary, while the AIES computer is sentient and can engage in basic communication, it is not sapient or self-aware like certain other AI systems.

Solution
RPG-D RPGfix
Back