• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

(Kale Namach) The Trouble With Autonomous Code

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zain Snowpaw

Inactive Member
It was a bright and sunny day at the star army academy. Recruits scurrying from place to place following their daily routine.

The somewhat idyllic setting was shattered by a large *CRASH*.

"Get out of the way!!!"

Those who happened to be there were treated to an odd sight. A blue haired woman running after what looked to be a maintenance robot of some description.

The large hole in the wall behind the pair was also of some note. Through the hole they could see a wrecked maintenance workshop and a startled young man staring after his runaway project.

The idea had been simple. Program the robot with a partial personality backup. Enough to be able to have intelligent thought but not enough to give it a personality.

He popped the disk out of the drive. The label read, Kira's combat simulator.

'Awww hell.' he thought 'I hate Mondays.'

There was an old saying which hailed from the far past of the Nepleslian people, a saying which had plenty of meaning, but only had substance when living it; "Those who can't, coach.". In the case of the Star Army of Yamatai, that phrase especially applied to those between shipboard or line assignments, most especially when carrying an officer's rank. What that left for a black-panel clad Chusa was simple; work with the cadets, make the next generation of personnel competent, and keep good fresh blood flowing for the Empire. Though, what was unexpected, was a rampaging robot that was going to make that blood flow prematurely, and that robot caught the Chusa's attention as it barreled down the hallway.

"Chusa Klein to base security and engineering sentries. Robot with unknown malfunction causing damage to base, unsure of threat assessment." That was the message which was the difference between a problem going out of control, or being quickly contained before damage could be inflicted on a level which would hinder the function of the base. Though, the time between the engineers and security arriving and the current moment, well, that left a lot of wiggle room, wiggle room which Helen intended to close as she levitated from the ground and took off after the robot and the unfortunate programmer with a NSP set to stun in hand. There was just one problem, she knew nothing about the robot, and so that left her to fly beside the blue haired personnel.

"You, explain the situation, quickly." Helen ordered, as she flew alongside the woman in pursuit of the robot.

Kira looked over at the new participant in the chase.

"Rogue AI… based on my brother... malfunctioned." she panted stil sprinting after the runaway droid. "Gotta stop it before it gets to the vehicle bay."

Indeed the robot was heading directly towards the engineering section. Not bothering with doors in its mad dash.

"It's programmed to find out everything about vehicles. It has a plasma cutter so it might try to disect the motor pool. By the way, Im Kira. Sorry about this.

There was a frown on Helen's lips as she listened to Kira's explanation, and it drew a shake of her head. "Next time, test your code in a virtual setting before you put it into a potentially deadly robot. Disciplinary action will come later, for now, let's deal with this quickly." Helen insisted, as she scooped up Kira from beneath her arms, and carried her. "What species are you anyways? Running is not going to get us to that thing before it gets somewhere where it'll cause trouble."

Rin watches as a droid runs passed him yelling weird combat phrases and sighs "why do people have to use phrases like that?, its one thing to say them, a completely disrespectful thing to get a droid to say".

He looks at where it was headed and looks around "who's droid is that and why is it headed to the engineer section" he decides to run after the droid because he was wondering what it was planning to do in the engineering section. He starts running after the droid wondering why the owner of the droid hasn't come to stop it

Kira blushed slightly, ensconced as she was in the chusa's arms.

"We did test it thouroughly first. All it seemed to want was to find out about machines. Just as we designed it to."

Just then the robot shouted "Sweet Oblivion I will bring upon you" and began to laugh maniacally.

Kira paled.

"Thats not part of the AI. That sounds like my battle simulator. Oh thats bad. I must have picked up the wrong disc. The droid seems to be trying to immitate one of the characters, Thanatos. If he behaves in the same manner he will attempt to aquire a nailgun of some sort. With it an the plasma cutter it might just be able to pull off his special moves. As for me, Im just a regular old minkan im afraid. Nothin' special.

Meanwhile with Kale:

Crackin his knuckles Kale sat back in front of the computer terminal. He had heard the security announcement go out but he wasn't going to let a years work be destroyed by the triggerhappy security guards.

Opening up a mainframe connection he began to hack his way into the main transmitter. From there he would be able to remotely control the robot nd shut it down. Thankfully the transmitter was not safeguarded by an AI or this might have been impossible. As it was it was merely insanely difficult.

"Then by all means, get airborne, you can fly too!" Helen spoke, utterly flustered by the matter of having to tell someone just what their body could do. None the less, she was still going to help, and she was not about to leave neutralizing a deranged improperly programmed robot to someone who could not even remember to fly.

Upon telling Kira to fly, Helen gave her a good throw in the direction the robot went, allowing her to take point, as she took off along behind the blue haired engineer. "If it starts taking shots at us, I'm going to take it down, fair warning." Helen called out, making it quite clear she meant business.

Kira began to panic. She had developed a somewhat deep fear of flying during her childhood when she had nearly lost her life when very young after she was told by a rather malicious child that her inertia abilities gave her full flight capability rather then just allowing her to hover. It was the reason she was training as a planetside officer while her brother was training for starship duty. She would follow him if she could. Yes she knew that she could be revived through a personality backup but she thought it just wouldn't be her. Even after twelve years that fear of faling had not faded.

She noticed the floor coming up to meet her fast and she paniced. Only just managing to catch herself with her inertia systems before in her lack of focus they once agin switched off dumping her unceremoniously on the floor.

Getting up, she glared at the superior officer.

"There are good reasons I wasn't flying idiot!" she shouted against her better judgement.

With Kale:

Firewall after firewall was either taken down or bypassed completely as Kale franticaly tapped away at the keyboard. Within another minute he would be able to tap into the droids control sequences.

Mentally he winced. Usually someone could use their inbuilt transmitter to stop this sort of thing. However they had mistakenly added shielding against that sort of thing in the base code so that no one could mess with the project Next time that would have to be the last thing added in.

Rin walks out of his workshop and stretches, then noticed the droid running past and smiles "i know that droid" he pulls out a screw driver and runs after the droid and starts to fly past some people yelling at each other, he giggles "come back to my workshop it is time for some experimentation"

Rin flies past the girls and continues to fly after the droid laughing and giggling "i must have you" he sees the droid headed for the engineering sector "your headed to my domain now" he laughs more and smirks remembering the steel guide ropes are on the side they are headed to "you have fallen into a trap now little bot"

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back