• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Rejected Submission KAM Fusion Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
The fusion generator you describe is one that we're familiar with on Earth, but it requires a lot of infrastructure that isn't found in the kinds of fusion systems we have in Star Army. These aren't systems you can reliably cut down into a car engine, though they have powered starships in the past.

I'm not quite sure you can apply such a system to each and every vehicle or craft a Vekimen would operate, especially without seeing those craft.

Also, how is it that only with resources and a new planet have then been able to create this? After 2,500 years, they couldn't do it before? Or is it that they've just received new, advanced technology and been given a hand up, so to speak. In which case, you might consider dropping this copypasta submission and just link back to the original tech.

I have reviewed this submission in accordance with the Guide for Submission Reviewers.

The second to last room, this room is where the fusions cores that power the ship are stored. Each Core is independent of each other and can be turned on and off to reduce the signature and save fuel, at the cost of performance. Power allocation, and gravity is also controlled through this room. It is by far the worst room to work in. Noisy, overtly hot, and quite cramped with only enough room for a single person and a half pathway.

Under the deck, the ship stores batteries. In the event the crew need to do a full shut down to remain concealed, these batteries will keep the sensors and life support operational, along with dull red LED light strips which unlike their IR counterparts, produce no heat.

This is the description of the Fusion Core room on my Nightbane. Now the exact amount isn't stated ((It was supposed to be 10)) but there are clearly multiple cores.

The large aggravation I am dealing with right now is that the Vekimens approved history has them with a Viable Space Navy. What powered them? Right now I've made the comment that I am trying to figure out how to power an entire Space Station for 1300 years on fairy dust and happy thoughts. I don't think Deisel will quite do the trick, you know? Fusion is a minimum for them to have as a soon-to-be playable race once I get everything finished, and while they have been dealing with Yamatai, Nepleslia, UOC, and Gartega, they have not been /given/ everything they have today. So no, I will not mention any other faction because other factions wouldn't have helped with their Fusion cores, and the Vekimen are very well versed and understand fusion. They have an entire section of their population who are geniuses, and I'm sure they had plans from back when they were warfaring in space.

Well, so long as you bring it up... if they managed to keep the station running for 1300 years, something more exotic than a standard-tech fusion reactor installed in the space station might be a good idea, unless they had multiple reactors and could overhaul them repeatedly. Fusion would need some magic at that rate, too, otherwise. They wouldn't necessarily have to have designed and built their own power source, it could be stolen, for example. Maybe they got their hands on a really good fusion reactor and reverse-engineered it, after letting it keep them alive all that time.

That's actually sorta the point Navian. They used to be a pretty badass nation. They used to have all this stuff. Advanced Kinetic Weapons, advanced fusion reactors, they had these things and they recycled them to keep the main station operational. Where did all that knowledge go? Where is it all going to go?

The Necrosis is not so much more advanced than the Nightbane. Actually, the Nightbane should go as fast as the Necrosis because it is ALSO unarmoured, but I want my fighters to be the fastest ships I got. I find it really odd that there aren't different speed brackets for different types of ships You could technically make an Aircraft carrier that can go .45c so long as it wasn't armoured.

So no, I will not mention any other faction because other factions wouldn't have helped with their Fusion cores, and the Vekimen are very well versed and understand fusion. They have an entire section of their population who are geniuses, and I'm sure they had plans from back when they were warfaring in space.
Let's back up on this a moment.

The core problem with this submission was not clearly stated. I take responsibility for this and will now rectify it.

You swiped the exact text for the Geshrinari Fusion generator. You didn't really change anything, relegating this submission here to copypasta. Copypasta is frowned upon in general, but to take the text and not even credit the original author?

That deeply offends my sensibilities, and I will not stand for it. Nevermind that it outright violates several standards for submission review.

How you want to fix this is up to you. I suggested just linking to the Geshrinari generator as an easy way out. You could say that the Vekimen just took the Geshrinari generator and made a modification of it, then link back to the Geshrinari article. If you want to write your own generator, you can do that too.

But I expect the submission to be original, or I will reject it with prejudice, leaving you having to find another way to power your race besides a basic fusion generator.

When it comes to the Vekimen's capabilities, I have no problem accepting that they are capable of great things. But I have pointed out already, and will point out now, that you need to prove it.

So far, you've turned in a WWII-style submarine starship that doesn't even start to rate against other starships in this setting, and within a few weeks' time you already are trying to replace it with a fighter that's meant to get much, much closer to matching the other factions of this setting. Even if I don't accept the Nightbane as the bar you initially set, the impression I get from the Vekimen is that they put several carts in front of their one horse. It makes it difficult to determine just how "badass" they are supposed to be.

When it comes to the starship speed standards on ships, you're correct that the standard does allow for any ship to go any speed. A submissions reviewer expects some reasonability out of a submitter to justify why a giant battleship can go as fast as a starfighter, but hey, if you can, rawkin'.

But it's up to you.

Acewing was kind enough play the synonym game for me. Does this solve the "Plagiarism" problem to how the basic description of how the steam engine was explained? I don't know how much more original a "This does this, which does this" explanation can be.

There are fusion generators and batteries throughout the site that use completely different language. They don't look remotely the same. They either are original or credit someone.

This does neither. This isn't an original submission. You still took the Geshrinari product, changed some words and are calling it your own without crediting the original author. I do not care that you think this is as basic as a steam engine. This is still unsatisfactory.

Edto, I am pleading with you to not make me review this further and reject it. I gave you options above. Please take one of them so that I don't have to reject this. I'm sorry I'm not offering to do one for you, but I need you to understand how what you've done is unacceptable. Please.

Reactions: Wes
I'm sorry, but you are rejecting a Fusion powered steam engine? I could make this generator in my back yard with a fire, a turbine, a basic magnetic coil generator and plumbing supplies. This concept is far from "Unique".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3XAFSMdVWU

Oh look at that, the exact same thing but without the Fusion Core. I really think it's a little silly that such a basic concept can be claimed 100% by someone else. please tell me what about a Fusion steam generator is hard to figure out? If you want me to credit the origonal author, or say the Vekimen are using the product? Who is the origonal author? I just saw numbers on the bottom of the screen. To appease you though, check the OOC of my thing now. I credited the writer.

The original author is Nashoba. The reason I did not give you the option of a simple credit is because I did not expect you to know that.

I gave you options.

I suggested just linking to the Geshrinari generator as an easy way out. You could say that the Vekimen just took the Geshrinari generator and made a modification of it, then link back to the Geshrinari article. If you want to write your own generator, you can do that too.
These are those options. Please pick one.

I am sorry, but I have no problem crediting Nashoba. None at all Doshii. However, I will not say that the Vekimen needed Yamatai for something so desperately simple. If thi was Aether Tech or Quantum Foam I would understand, I really would but this is neither.

I think you are missing what I am trying to say here.

Yamatai, did not, teach the Vekimen, how to make, a steam generator.

It's as simple as that. If you can point me in the direction of something simpler than this.

NOT ONLY THAT!

It is how the basic Nuclear Reactor Works. https://www.nei.org/Knowledge-Center/How-Nuclear-Reactors-Work

That is LITERALLY how every Nuclear reactor in America works. Every single one. Reaction generates steam which turns turbines. I don't know what your problem is, but it is obviously set deeper than me using the same method as that Nashoba's generator and every other Generator in America.

I have credited both Nashoba for initially giving me the idea, as well as every Nuclear Reactor in America. If this is such a large problem, then anything that we use currently today should be given pages in the generic [Technology] namespace as it should be assumed in this setting anyone who is space capable can make these things. This includes the Turbine Engines I submitted which Boeing has the Patents for.

I don't know what your problem is, but it is obviously set deeper than me using the same method as that Nashoba's generator and every other Generator in America.
My problem is explained above several times. You lifted the text of an old Geshrinari submission, passed it off as your own and didn't tell a soul. Then, given ways to address it, you chose none.

This isn't a basic scientific concept FOR SARP. You don't get to claim that, unfortunately, as no one ever made a completely generic fusion generator that could scale down to a car battery. People have used the generic concept of fusion in myriad ways to produce wholly original submissions, but you couldn't deign to do that. Instead, you want to have the basic Geshrinari submission, but made by the Vekimen, believing it such a simple scientific concept as to, essentially, not warrant Geshrinari having a monopoly.

I can't seem to get you to understand that it is not about science. It's about originality. You could make up a fusion generator out of whole cloth; I don't need to know the basics of fusion to be OK with it. But it has to be your cloth, not someone else's.

I've tried. I'm sorry, Edto.

This submission is rejected, with prejudice, in accordance with the Guide for Submission Reviewers. It is not available for resubmission. Please remove it from the wiki.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back