• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Ke-05 Battle Rifle

Doshii Jun

Perpetual player
Retired Staff
Ke-W1-2801BR-05 "Ke-05 Battle Rifle"

Producer Information
Designer: Ketsurui Zaibatsu
Manufacturer: Star Army of Yamatai
(Suggested) Price: 2000 KS.
Individual Component Costs:
Extended BR-28A battery magazine: 150 KS
BM-28 cartridge magazine: 75 KS
BB-28 spare quick-change barrel: 200 KS (each rifle comes with one)
Nylon sling: 20 KS
(Open to more if anyone can think of some . . .)

Nomenclature Information
Name: Type 28 Multi-platform Battle Rifle

Type:
Platform One: Projectile weapon (bullets)
Platform Two: Energy weapon

Model: "Pa" (Power armor)
Role: Dedicated fire support for infantry, specializing in closed quarters fighting (Within a starship)
Length: 1330 cm
Weight: 16 kg

Discharge Information
Projection/ammo type:
Platform One: Caseless, chemically propelled bullets; subsonic hollowpoints standard, with faster AP rounds available
Platform Two: Energy energy

Firing Mechanism:
Platform One: First, move the right-side switch above the triggers down. When the weapon is cocked a round is let down and chambered by the spring from one of the two magazines on the Battle Rifle. A hammerless firing pin then moves forward upon squeezing the trigger to detonate the charge the round is encased in. As the pressure from the explosion forces the round out the front of the weapon, some of the gas is diverted from the barrel backwards to recock the weapon and chamber a round from the other magazine. This is achieved with a series of cams rotating not only the bolt, but a small door blocking one magazine, then the other.
Platform Two: Move the right-side switch above the triggers up. This engages the energy machine gun. If in prone position, a smaller switch is located on the left side behind the trigger. A light depression of the rear trigger will fire a single shot; a full depression will fire automatically.

Caliber: 11.5x35mmBR caseless. 200-grain subsonic; 320-grain armor piercing.
Beam Diameter: About 2 cm (Standard).
Beam Arc: 0 degrees.

Effective Range:
Platform One: 1249m subsonic rounds, 1100m armor-piercing.
Platform Two: 1500m standard, 100m Heavy.

Maximum Range:
Platform One: 2000m subsonic rounds, 1500m armor-piercing.

Minimum Range:
Platform One: 0m.
Platform Two: 0m.

Muzzle Velocity:
Platform One: ~300m/sec subsonic (a bit slower than 9mm Parabellum); ~1500m AP.
Platform Two: Speed of light.

Muzzle Blast:
Platform One: About .33-meter-long blast forward. Two ports in the muzzle act as a small muzzle brake, putting some of the flash above the muzzle in a "V" shape. Subsonic rounds not nearly as loud as the AP rounds (140 decibels to about 210 decibels).
Platform Two: No large blast, but some small sound. Each shot looks like a beam of light; this is a tracer effect, not an actual result of the radiation energy.

Firing Mode(s):
Platform One: A switch behind the triggers on the right side selects safety, single shot or automatic fire.
Platform Two: There are two fire modes, selectable from the front grip -- Standard and heavy. Heavy produces a shot about 4x stronger than standard; it cannot be fired automatically without risking damage to the weapon.

Recoil: The projectile weapon can be fired from the hip in short bursts. For accurate, full automatic fire, it should be fired from the shoulder. The energy weapon can be fired from the hip without hampering accuracy.

How does this weapon effect the target?
Platform One: Subsonic rounds are standard hollowpoints. They are meant to stop targets with only a few rounds, while not exiting the target. The AP rounds are designed to damage Mishhu armor specifically; they have been tested to penetrate armors rated slightly below a Kylie's Andrium shell. There are also plain FMJs available.

Ammo Description:
Name: 11.5x35mmBR.
Visual Description: The ammunition is caseless; the powder is crystallized around in the form of a rectangle. The magazine is a squat, curved "box" style magazine. The two magazines are loaded above and behind the receiver in a "V" shape.
Magazine capacity: 70 rounds.
Damage Description: Standard bullet damage, depending on what rounds are used.

Name: Battery magazines.
Visual Description: (Er . . . I've never seen a physical description. I figured it looks like a battery). The battery is loaded through a trapdoor in the butt of the gun.
Charge: 130 shots standard, 26 heavy.
Damage Description: Standard energy damage.

Weapon Mechanisms:
Safety: A switch behind the triggers on the right side selects safety, single shot or automatic fire (Platform One only).
Weapon Sight: Targeting computer located forward of the magazines; the weapon is linked to the power armor it is assigned to. Emergency post sights are available, but they are limited in their range.
Attachment Hard points: Hardpoints are located on the bottom of the gun to hook to the back of the armor. The pistol-grip handle folds backward into the gun.
Really cool built-in thingy: No built-in cool thingy.

Maintenance Information:
Field Maintenance Procedure:
Platform One: Remove the quick-change barrel and the magazines. Directly below the bolt there is a small lever; press it down and the bolt will come out naturally. To remove the piston which cocks the bolt, remove the cap on the tube below the rifle platform.
Replaceable Parts and components: Magazines are switched out. So are the quick-change barrels. Just unlock them from the receiver.

Visual Description:

(Ugh . . . this is going to be hard. Okay, the closest I can get is the old British Bren. Put the second "platform" above it, add a FN Minimi foregrip and a bit longer stock, split the magazine in two, and make it look a little bulkier. That's what it ends up as. I know that's not a great description, but I can't draw very well. If you want, I can try though.)

History:

Though not overwhelming, reports from the front lines of the war against the Mishhu pointed to the need for a weapon useful in combat within a ship, but designed for power armors. Armors, though far superior to ground troops, were limited by their weaponry. Several reports suggested aether beams were being modified for lower power ranges, though test technicians reported no such capability. Overall, armors were using Type 28 SMGs, sidearms or nothing. Pirates were also being considered as a nuisance that needed more than an SMG.

So, Ketsurui Zaibatsu began soliciting designs for a type of weapon that could handle both Mishhu and pirates, without being overkill. Eventually, KZ's own designers came up with the winning model -- a two-mode rifle specifically designed for heavy infantry units like armors. Unlike the W2708 Rail Gun on the Kylie, or the GM-05 Energy Rifle for the Mindy, the Ke-05 Battle Rifle is meant to take out personnel only, with the capability for dealing more damage with the energy rifle platform.

In tests, KZ found both platforms underperformed in simulated tests against Mishhu armor. At nearly Mach 4.4, the AP rounds could still only penetrate the more modest of military armors -- not enough to damage an armored Mishhu. The subsonic rounds proved devastating to flesh targets, planting very large holes in even unarmored Mishhu flesh. The energy platform also proved weak against most foes, save pirates, who tended to be lower tech.

KZ has tested special AP ammunition using a Zesuaium-coated titanium dart against other armors, instead of using pure Andrium. The tests have been promising, but production of this round has not yet commenced.

I don't like the history, mainly because of this line

designers came up with the best weapon

The visual discription really needs to be better, especially because I am assuming this is a fairly long weapon so getting up close might led to problems with manuvering the barrel and the like.

Those aren't really tech issues though.

For muzzle blasts I would write out something like: a half meter forward flare with little/no sideways flash and a soft crack from the explosive powder.
For the plasma I'd put something like: No muzzle flash or sound although the plasma stream/glob radiates light.

As far as tech goes there really isn't anything really wrong with this. I would like to see a beam size at least for the plasma weapon. Also, I don't think you can fire a blast of plasma that will only stun someone. The stun feature needs more discription.

(And of course these are all 'suggestions' because I'm not impersonating a mod :| )

I don't like the history (because of a certain line)

Gotcha. I was scrambling to get something in the history. I can edit that.

The visual discription really needs to be better, especially because I am assuming this is a fairly long weapon so getting up close might led to problems with manuvering the barrel and the like.

I got the length in there, but I understand. I'm gonna try to draw out at least a basic outline. Hopefully then it'll make sense. I'm a writer, not an artist, though.

For muzzle blasts I would write out something like: a half meter forward flare with little/no sideways flash and a soft crack from the explosive powder.
For the plasma I'd put something like: No muzzle flash or sound although the plasma stream/glob radiates light.

As far as tech goes there really isn't anything really wrong with this. I would like to see a beam size at least for the plasma weapon. Also, I don't think you can fire a blast of plasma that will only stun someone. The stun feature needs more discription.

Muzzle flash I can edit. Not sure about a "soft crack," but it's no Mosin, at least in my head (damn I love my Mosin).

I think I'm trying to talk about a pulse weapon, not a plasma weapon. There's a difference, isn't there? The second platform is basically a Type 28 sidearm, fully automatic and with a longer barrel. Those are edits I can make too.

Lessee . . . anything else that comes to mind, folks?

Well a plasma weapon shoots a beam/bolt/glob/stream of superheated matter that exsists in a plasma state, kinda like shooting really hot oil. A pulse weapon can be any number of things but in the sense you are talking about I think you mean a burst of some type of radiation.

This weapon's projectile mode is virtually useless. It wouldn't penetrate any armor currently in use in this RP, as they are space-age armors designed to withstand physical impactors and stresses that far exceed what a 11.5mm round fired at these velocities would do.

If the sound isn't moving at hypersonic velocities (Mach 5+), calling it armor-piercing in this RP is a laughable statement.

From what I understand there are AP and silent rounds avalible and because being useless in combat isn't a technical problem with the weapon it dosen't need to be fixed before use.

Derran Tyler said:
This weapon's projectile mode is virtually useless. It wouldn't penetrate any armor currently in use in this RP, as they are space-age armors designed to withstand physical impactors and stresses that far exceed what a 11.5mm round fired at these velocities would do.

If the sound isn't moving at hypersonic velocities (Mach 5+), calling it armor-piercing in this RP is a laughable statement.

. . . then why do we have any single-person-based projectile weapons at all? Including the pistols that serve as sidearms?

If an infantryman (which doesn't quite exist in Yamatai, but for the sake of debate) has no useful weapon at his disposal save an energy weapon (which we seem to have for power armors, at least) then we shouldn't have any of the projectile pistols. The rifles should stay, at least the ones that are more or less rail guns.

Platform One is for killing people. And Mishhu. Without putting big, damaging holes through the ship. While personal body armor may be really powerful in this RP, I don't recall AMES being able to dampen the amount of kinetic energy the two types of rounds would produce. Besides, power armors aren't going to be scratched by that platform; that's what the second one is for.

But, I get the debate. So if I knock up the speed of the AP round, might be a bit better?

From what I understand there are AP and silent rounds avalible and because being useless in combat isn't a technical problem with the weapon it dosen't need to be fixed before use.

Yeah . . . technically. But I want this weapon to be useful. Otherwise, there's no purpose in its existence.

I'll be making the edits tomorrow night; girlfriend is taking me to Franz Ferdenand.

This weapon right now is only going to be effective against unarmored creatures. Material, armored, and most importantly bio weapon targets will be able to shrug this kind of thing off like it dosen't even exsist. Even the plasma weapon is not enough to cause real damage against an armored target.

Side arm weapons designed for people to use tend to not be designed for use in heavy combat but are there to say that the crews are not going into battle completely unarmed.

The infantryman does exsist, however he is always clad in power armor now.

If you want the weapon to be useful on the battlefield you will need a lot more raw power but as it is I don't see why you shouldn't try and get it approved. If anything you should start here with a simple weapon and work your way up to the more complicated weapons and technology as you become more familiar with this RP setting.

(Edit: I still think the history needs to be redone, especially considering this is supposed to be 'the best weapon' for fighting mishu and the like)

Approved for testing use (not mass-production until we have some in-RP testing and an image).

Ummmmm ... Wes, this weapon is essentially the new weapon I'm trying to create now. We can leave this alone, if you like. Though I do still have that crappy image for it.

Could you post (and/or link to) it on starchan? I will try making a colored version when I get a chance.

I sort of picture this weapon as being a sort of handle with an handguard that would have a firing mechanism both above or below the hand- like, two guns mated together through their handles each mirroring the other upside down.

I don't see why others are skeptical about the weapon's use. It can pierce neko body armor (not power armor - body armor) and should be able to breach through a mishhuvurthyar exoskeleton (have you ever seen a mishhu in body armor? I haven't: mishhu have attack pods, not armor. Besides, how do you fit that thing in a body armor o.O).

Furthermore, I really don't see a need for it to pierce through 'space age' power armor-level defense since there's already the M4-W2901 out to do that. Besides, we're doing more in the Star Army aside from shooting at our own Lamia and Mindy power armors! There are other targets, like wildlife on an alien planet, that could deserve the use of such a weapon without going as far as using a railgun to splatter it.

Kotori said:
I don't see why others are skeptical about the weapon's use. It can pierce neko body armor (not power armor - body armor) and should be able to breach through a mishhuvurthyar exoskeleton (have you ever seen a mishhu in body armor? I haven't: mishhu have attack pods, not armor. Besides, how do you fit that thing in a body armor o.O).
There is at least one RP example of Mishhuvurthyar heavily armored with Zesuaium plates on its carapace. I couldn't find it but I know it is around here somewhere.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back