Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Ke-M13-1A Keiko Thought Armor

Toshiro

Inactive Member
The Keiko Thought Armor is a mass production version of the already approved Kirie Thought Armor, with various applicable downgrades geared toward reducing cost and speeding up manufacture, while keeping it an effective fighting machine for the general soldier.

Nothing has been added except a pair of laser emitters on the forearms for communication and possible aid in targeting, chiefly to replace a removed and more complex component; and +0.25c speed due to the lighter armor class.

Noted downgrades are:

* Yama-Dura Armor with Durandium frame, 12 SP (down from 15 SP on Kirie)
* Simplified Joints (already approved, down from Frictionless Hybrid Joints)
* Replacement of Active Camouflage with Secondary Optics
* Removal of Crest Optic
* Fewer sensors for sampling Audio and Video (Sampled Vision instead of true Panoramic)
* Simplified Laser Communications System
* Simplified Fusion Reactor and Thigh Capacitor
* Removal of all Zesuaium radiation shielding layers on Aether Generator and Fusion Reactor (replaced with cheaper and more conventional means)

I am open to other possibilities for reducing cost, though it should still be an advanced and effective machine.

What do you mean by a "gauntlet model"? You've lost me, I'm afraid.

If you are talking about an add on like a hardpoint attachment or supplemental weapon of some kind, then it is possible.

Irrelevant, Thought armor is controlled by thought, the operators arms don't go in the armors arms.

Toshiro, you may wish to account for some elements of our 2011 revisions - which are supposed to be "softly" applied by taking them into considerations for new units.

Basically, decently fast units within a gravity well might go around 5000 m/s assuming their movement impulse are fusion engines while having the assets to power combat systems. Dedicating power to propulsion would allow to reach 1c (with use of the kind of tech that bends reality to achieve that with inertialness around acceleration, protection from time dilatation, etcetera - the kind of stuff you expect from CFS and gravimetric technology). Beyond a gravity well, properly equipped vehicles travel via fold.

Hence, a mecha unit capable of reaching a fraction of light speed in assumed combat purposes kind of doesn't fit with that. I'd view the distinction of a mechanized unit being very mobile in the light of if it can reach planetary escape velocity (thus showing it has a degree of independence from shuttles).

We've worked to make revisions and settled on the details, but we haven't really been applying them so far. As new units, I believed your THOUGHT mechas might be able to spearhead that effort.

So you're asking me to adopt/endorse a new system? First, the Kirie is already submitted under the old system. Second, I have had bad luck with optional systems being presented to me as required and would need a lot more details about just where this new system stands in submission/approval and requirement/optional.

I also want to be extremely careful implementing something that might make my machine weaker than just about anything else in the setting speed/acceleration-wise if no one else is using this system.

Edit: A light-second is roughly 300,000,000 meters. 1 c, therefore, is roughly 300,000,000 m/s. You want me to go at 5,000 m/s. That's 1/60,000th light speed for STL, or 0.0000167c. I find this unacceptable and that it may easily kill my submission in practice compared to everything else in the setting. A Demon PA or worse could slaughter my submission if I agreed to this.

As far as I know, it's not optional. It just hasn't been enforced by the tech mods for some reason.

And, based on that very same excuse, no one else would follow up with it. Besides, do you really expect your unit to do superluminal combat? Or to do interstellar travel? If that's the case, it might be too overpowered already to approve anyways.

I just checked the proposed 2011 revision thread. While there was initially talk of changing STL on page 3 or so, Wes decided not to do it because people voted against it. It's not a tech mod supported rule because it wasn't made part of the final revisions to begin with.

And I want it to fit in with everything else in the setting, not just accept some new system that one person points me to without a link to the new rule. After being told that Uso's starship template was a flat-out rule, I am more careful than I used to be about these changes.

The current approved approach is to provide the value in more easily understood values. See below

Atmospheric:
■ Cruise 3,581 kph (2,225 mph) Mach 3
■ Max 7,163 kph (4,450 mph), Mach 6

■ Sublight Engines: 119,918 km/sec (33,310 miles/sec) .40c

Okay, edited both the Kirie and the keiko to comply with this, though the values given here for mph don't match with the values given by Google's conversions, which I triple-checked with my calculator.

Google says:
119,918 km/sec = 74,513 miles/sec = .40c

I went with Google's number.

This review is for: Keiko Thought Armor

The submitted article is/has…
[-] A general topic sentence under the title header
[x] Artwork (illustrations are required for Starships, Vehicles, Hand weapons or Small Arms, Uniforms for military forces or large corporations and new alien species not from the race of the day CCG)
[x] Needed and/or useful to the setting
[x] In the proper format/template
[x] Proofread for spelling and grammar
[x] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[x] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[x] No red and/or broken links
[x] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[x] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[x] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[x] Obtusely redundant
[x] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[x] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[x] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[x] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[x] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[x] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[x] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[x] Lacking Detail
[x] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[x] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[x] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[x] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[x] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary
Note here if any serious issues are present. These are the issues that will hold up approval.
** Short description of the issue. If a longer explanation is needed, put it in Notes.

[-] A general topic sentence under the title header

Notes
This field is for any extra description needed for the issues stated above or (as the name suggests) and additional notes you wish to state in the record regarding the item.

I intend to finish this review by: Complete

The general sentence under the title header is under the art.

Is there something missing in it or incomplete? Is it too long? I don't really see where the problem is. Can you please be more specific?

Its a formatting issue, the general sentence is supposed to be the first line.

Please fix, otherwise approved.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back