• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Approved Submission Ke-M2-W3703 Special Operations Combat Knife

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Nerimium is a Nepleslian substance.

The first line should be a general topic sentence.

Things that describe the appearance should be under a heading of Appearance.

Also what rifle is this knife supposed to attach to, since most of the current inventory doesn't have bayonet mounts.

I do not approve of Nerimium being used in this knife. That needs to be changed immediately.

While acknowledging that's t's true that KFY/KZ tends to stick to Zesuaium and Yamataium, because these are its old favorites, and therefore you don't usually see Nerimium in SAoY gear, I'm not sure Nepleslia has a right to restrict other factions from using Nerimium. This opinion is based on the following:
  1. Nerimium technically isn't a Nepleslian substance. It's a Nerimian substance that entered Star Army when Derran Tyler was playing the Nerimian Defense Initiative (aka Sol Confederation Armed Forces). It's even named after Nerima, the sister RP realm to Ayenee.
  2. When Nerimium was first introduced to the Star Army RP Nepleslia was still part of the Yamatai Star Empire and shared the same technology base.
  3. It's already used in dozens of non-Nepleslian articles, such as Lorath parts, Geshrinari shipyards stations, Origin items, and an Elysian power armor
  4. The article on Nerimium says: "Producers: Nepleslian Arms and Munitions, several other high-end material producer/distributors." I think it's highly likely that KZ is one of these.
With the above in mind, is there a suitable substitute that could be used?

The first choice for this knife was Zesu, which we're trying to reduce the usage of.

And, as the article and Wes just said, Nepleslia does -not- have a monopoly on Nerimium usage. It didn't even create it, either, so the Nepleslian FM has no right or standing to restrict the SAOY from using it apparently.

And I'm pretty sure a self healing metal wouldn't be so good for a bladed weapon anyway.

I am not trying to reduce the use of Zesuaium. If you want to use it in this submission, I am okay with that. Keep in mind that would potentially make it heavy and/or expensive depending on how much is used (Nerimium is extremely heavy starship armor though so I don't think it's a major change).

At the same time, the blade uses a mixture of Durandium and Nerimium, and i'm not sure that Zesu's properties allow you to use it like that.

I don't think so either.

Why bother making it out of material that could conceivably be used in starship armor? This seems like a humongous waste of materials on a weapon that will more than likely never be used in a setting with railguns, shields, etc.

The other issue is that the blade shape the SOCK is based on is incredibly inefficient as an actual combat knife or bayonet.

In the case of the former you will want a double edged pattern designed primarily for thrusting with a secondary use of slashing - having serrations on the edge might provide an incremental ability to cause greater wound damage but you risk getting the teeth of the serrations caught, and it is notoriously difficult to keep serrated edges sharpened.

For the blade shape it has been widely accepted that a knife geared towards thrusting and stabbing motions is preferrable; see the Fairbarn-Sykes Style knife or the Applegate-Fairbairn fighting knife for examples of true fighting knives that are not mall ninja-tier tanto shapes that offer no advantage at all.

In the case of the latter you will want a similarly designed knife with a thick and strong cross section with a pointed spear type head to it, as the actual momentum and weight of the weapon attached to it is commonly used for thrusting or slashing purposes.

tl,dr while I have reservations about this knife using a very "Nepleslian" material, I can let that slide for now. However, this knife is nothing more than something you will find for 20 bucks at the local anime store, or flea market - and represents a very lackadasical and uninformed effort towards crafting a true fighting knife for the YSE.

Furthermore, this knife appears to be based on a distinctly Nepleslian design arising from the efforts of Soresu's PC Diedre Kirsty NicAlasdair, owner of Deidre's Huge Rack of Guns where it is currently made custom and not on a production level.

As the SOCK's article indicates, the blueprints for the knife were based off of these Nepleslian - sourced knives from classified equipment reports. As it stands with the original knife being Nepleslian in origin, I would characterize this as an extremely lazy effort to submit a piece of equipment that is directly copied in terms of art and design from the original article creator, and represents a Yamataian bootleg.

If this is approved, does this mean that Nepleslia is free to reverse engineer and use Yamataian technology it may find?

This article should be subject to the approval of both the Yamataian FM (faction that will use it) and Nepleslian FM (faction where it was designed) before it is approved. As it stands now, I emphatically do not approve as it represents a copy of a distinctly Nepleslian-sourced piece of equipment.

A piece of Nepleslian equipment that would have no reason for Yamatai to know it even exists, since it's made by a single gunsmith, on a frontier planet, that hasn't ever even been featured in a plot (because Fian doesn't really love us). There's literally no reason for Yamatai to even look at Deidre's designs, let alone start copying them.

The knife was created for, and featured in, the 44th Fireteam plot -- Yamataian special forces, small and limited as they were.

However, the knife was not designed for mass production or introduction to the wider setting without Soresu's RP.

The knife was created for, and featured in, the 44th Fireteam plot -- Yamataian special forces, small and limited as they were.

However, the knife was not designed for mass production or introduction to the wider setting without Soresu's RP.

And I only based it on the 44th Fireteam's knife on your suggestion- the original design was a more conventional bayonet shape.

Edit: You know what? No. This line of BS and blame shifting stops here. I should've known better than to take Doshii's advice on using the knife Yukari commissioned for a Yamataian special forces unit. I should've been able to foresee that it would've caused a shitshow because people are protective of things, and that it'd turn into another comical farce of people attempting to find reasons to accuse me or others of tech stealing.

Doshii, put this submission on Hold until I rework it.

Wait, hold up. I recommended you design a special forces knife?

Really? I don't remember doing that, but that doesn't mean I didn't. I'm sorry, Kirk. I really don't recall this clearly.

For what it's worth, Nash's concerns mostly covered mine.

Wait, hold up. I recommended you design a special forces knife?

Really? I don't remember doing that, but that doesn't mean I didn't. I'm sorry, Kirk. I really don't recall this clearly.

For what it's worth, Nash's concerns mostly covered mine.

When I was first making this, months and months ago, you suggested I base it off of the Desert Fang when I was shopping around for input on the in progress weapon.

That's pretty thick language to defend yourself with, there. I think it's poor form to get upset over people coming in and telling you this is a blatant copy of something when the last time you made this exact thing, it was denied for the same reason.

This is different. What I was originally making the SOCK was an all Zesu KABAR style knife, but Doshii suggested I make it like the Desert Fang. But No, Okay, Let's just use the POV that is just me stealing technology.

There was obviously some miscommunication here, even more so since Doshii suggesting what he did to me happened like a month ago. But I'm not stealing technology, i'm not trying to steal technology, and no-one cares what I'm trying to do because it looks like I'm stealing technology.

Doshii, just reject this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…