• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Late night hacking

Whitehart

Inactive Member
Hangar bay, late at night

A thin figure flitted from shadow to shadow moving towards the ships previously used by Aquila Flight. A barely audible whisper broke the silence, "Happy, Happy open up." With a soft hiss the Quatro opened and the obscured figure slipped in briefly, removing the ACE with practiced ease. The ship resealed once again as the man slipped away.

Computer core, obscured access terminal, later at night

"The terminal would do," Edward thought to himself. He withdrew the ACE chip from his satchel and connected it to the terminal. He took a brief look around the deserted core before turning back. His hands moved across the keyboard with familiar ease. The access, second nature to the former naval analyst. The next part would be the most difficult part.

As usual, Edward's pulse quickened, he rubbed his hands on his issued coveralls one more time. He returned to the terminal as the warning popped up; 'WARNING: You are about to access sensitive and restricted information! Please provide your user and password!'

"Here we go Happy," Edward said under his breath. He activated the ACE chip and started the process of breaking the encryption. Starting was always easy. The proper commands to access the files were pretty basic. It was all sitemaps and file tree's. Finding the right file that would have the weakest protection was the hard part. Edward filtered the list quickly, time was not his ally. He took out all non permitted files since they couldn't help anyway. Ignoring the files related to Naval Intelligence was a no brainer as well, they would be the hardest to crack. What he really needed was a file created by a relatively new crewman.

Edward smirked as he found a half completed core diagnostic stored by a junior engineer. He used the file as a portal, allowing him to piggyback onto the data stream and found the procedures used to create the file. Once found it was easy for Edward to duplicate the file and wahla! 'ACCESS GRANTED!'

Happy quickly transferred his AI files to the Oracle's computer core allowing the peppy AI full access. He quickly greeted the Oracle ACE and a fast, complicated discussion took place digitally. Moments later Happy cofirmed to Edward, "All set kiddo, while it doesn't 'get' why, it doesn't see any reason not to allow me access. I just had to promise not to fly the ship , which is a total bummer. Oh and I can't play with 'classified' material which is boring anyway."

"Great, this is gonna be so much fun. Gonna unplug now, join me for a late night stroll to the bunk?" Edward asked.

"That would be super duper!" Happy replied as, abnormally, he materialized beside Edward. The bushy grey and white squirrel was about three feet tall and overly cartoony. It seemed to be bouncing with unbridled energy even as it stood still with a huge smile.

Edward unplugged the ACE's former housing, logged off the terminal and headed for the door. He had a noticeable bounce in his own step as he walked beside the holographically projected squirrel. It was time for bed, mission accomplished.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back