Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

RP: Lazarus [Lazarus] - A second awakening

OsakanOne

Inactive Member
Retired Member
A Second Awakening, first subject, first trial

OOC: Listen to the music when prompted. It makes the scenes more potent.
- Mog
OOC: If you're not keen on homestuck, try this instead. :3

MOTHER do you think they'll drop the bomb?

Time: Unknown

♫ Cherubim - "Revire"

When Seiren opened his eyes, everything seemed... Exactly as it was. He was still aboard the Garancier. Still in the same chamber. Almost. Aiesu seemed ... Different. Shorter. Less pronounced and adult. And her hair was different - sat on a stool over the table he was laid on.

Her eyes were so warm.

"Wakey wakey, eggs n' bakey..." her voice pooled grinned in Yamataian - speaking like a child, not an adult.

"Argh. . . everything hurts. . . like I tripped on the sidewalk, and bellyflopped." Seiren croaked, focusing his vision. Everything hurt a little, that was true. But everything, ached too. Deep in his body.

"Well, that's normal. The read-process does take a long time... And the gravitational gear used... Basically makes every cell in your body vibrate, to read its position." she smiled. The bed slowly twisted up into a seat beneath the spotlight, turning to face her as it rose to just below her height.
"Hungry, dear?"

"Don't remind m--"

"You must be starving. Here." she said, wheeling a trolly over Seiren's lap - a sort of table flowing over the chair. A metallic cafetaria tray. Eggs, bacon, sausages, beans, sun-dried tomatos... Even french toast. All very very generous portions. Heaping, even. And a jug of juice, complete with serving glass.
"Eat up."

Shaky hands took the tray and set them in his lap, covering his, well, uncovered body. He clearly wasn't paying any heed to standard ettiquette at the moment, as he chowed down like a man with a mission. Or, you know, an undressed trap with a mental reading to go through.
With a piece of toast hanging out of his mouth, he asked, "So, uh, we done yet?"

"Not yet. There's still another step which comes after your meal. Eat up. You're going to need it" she smiled, the feet on her chair rising, allowing her elbows to perch on her risen knees and her face in her hands as she watched with an odd sort of admiration.

Seiren nodded, and continued eating. He had all but finished the entire platter in minutes, and had half the glass of juice left. Taking the glass, he managed to drink and talk at the same time. Another talent, perhaps?
"Ya look, differen'." He asked in between full gulps, eying his handler.

He noted then for the first time that the knife cut through the meat with alarming ease, like a scalpel, as did the fork.

"No I don't. That might be a side-effect of the read... Your last 8 hours or so will be a bit muddled. That'll resolve in a little while, don't worry. Not now."

"Weird side effect to be having, but it is doing things to my head. . ." he mumbled. The glass was empty by this point, so he set it back down on the tray.

It was then that he noticed her prosthetic legs. Were they there last time? Where did her legs go?

And yet he was still hungry. He shuddered slightly.

"Would you like another helping? Eat as much as you think you need" she said, taking his empty tray and setting down another. Once again, heaping.

Oddly, his appitite wasn't content.

"Uh. .. yeah. Man, being brain-drainified makes ya hungry. How often did you say you did that?" he asked, taking the platter gingerly.

"Every day for the last few years, actually."

If he had any food in his mouth, it would have fallen out when his jaw dropped.
"Really? You must spend a FORTUNE on food!"

"Ah, you sort of get used to it after a while. The appitite thing goes away eventually."

Seiren nervously laughed, a little weirded out by that 'eventually' bit. Who 'eventually' stops being hungry? That's just bizarre! Or, it would be if this procedure weren't so weird to begin with he thought.

"You're not eating." she said. The smile had left her.

"Huh? Oh, right."
The inventor took another piece of toast, biting in and savouring the buttery goodness.
"The ship doesn't roll anymore. Are we in the air now? Or did the tide go out? Are we in space?"

"Tell me how you're feeling, would you?" Aiesu said, her smile returning.

Like the first heap, he dove in, though it was slower this time.
"Prtteh gud!" he mumbled in between bites.

"No aches or pains anywhere? Dizziness? Nausia? Internal bleeding? Cancer? Metabolic cascade failure?" she said, leaning forward with a child-like enthusiasm.

"Uh-what?"

"You're fine. Don't worry yourself, dear."

Dear? When did she start using words like dear?

"Er, okay. . . ." Seiren replied, raising an eyebrow. A subject change question occured to him. "So is the first half of this, uh, reading, is it for my. . . crap - the movement parts of your brain. There's a name for those. Those pa--"

"Cerebellum." she said, cutting him off mid-sentence. "A word. Lots of words condensed into one tiny word of many parts. A latin word no doubt, the root of all trade. Cogito Ergo Sum. Words are funny things, aren't they? Do you speak trade, darling?"

"Uh. . . You sure this only affects the way I'm perceiving things?" the inventor asked, countering her question with another. Two and two were starting to make three and three quarters now, and it was getting weird.

"Correct" she stated again, her eyes wide, burning with an enthusiasm that couldn't belong to Aiesu.
"Are you still hungry, darling?"

"Uh. . . I think I'm just about done here. . ."

"You're absoloutely sure, dear?" she tilted her head. The angle looked painful before she realized what she was doing, bringing herself back into the acceptable range of human motion - uncanny valley starting to show in her actions now.

"Doesn't it look good?" she then said, presenting another tray. Cutlets of something thick, round and flat. Cooked, enblazoned. It smelled like pork, making his mouth water. And yet... There was a familiar scent about it.

He began for the third time. "Uh. . . hold that thought."
He thought for a moment. And then another. And then another.

He recognized a femur bone down the middle of the cuts - and the skin about the edges. But it wasn't a pig's or a cow's.

It made him sink against his chair, recoiling from it instinctively. But he couldn't understand why.

And then finally, two and two did indeed make four.
"Either two and two makes four, or I'm taking a WILD NONSENSICAL guess here. You're not. . . you. Er. You're not Aiesu, are you? In fact. . ."

Seiren inched away in his chair, holding the second tray he had been offered tightly in his hands. His face finally showed what he felt, nervousness and disgust. If that was, indeed, what he thought it was. . .

"Ah, well... I'm not, no." her voice sung sweetly, something maternal about the tone.

She. Face. Smiled.

Endless warmth and admiration.

Peering down, Seiren could see rawness in those uncovered thighs, where her knees would have been. They'd been recently amputated.

♫ Cherubim - "Power Fantasy"

"Oh god oh god those are your actual legs oh god WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?!" He spat, inching just a little too far off the chair and falling off, causing the tray in his hands to fling behind him. Most of what was left skittered across the floor, missing making a mess on him narrowly.

"The fabricator was broken so ... This was the only meat I could get you. Are you unhappy?" she pouted.
Genuinely now, her feelings were hurt.
"The chemical composition was within a 93.557% tolorance. You couldn't tell the difference between what was livestock and what was Aiesu."

"That is PEOPLEMEAT!" He snapped, pulling himself up and covering his bare form with his arms and hands. His sense of modesty somehow decided to return, since he was infront of a stranger with a friend's body.

"Does it bother you?" she said, looking over his nakedness now, studiously, memorizing it. "Knowing, that you're made of meat?"

"No, it bothers me that I. ATE. PEOPLEMEAT! Now where the hell is Aiesu and who the hell are you?!"

"I'm not sure I understand the question... She's here. Well. Mostly." Something almost made the figure laugh, eyeing his belly.

"You're like a greedy little pig, you know? Your behavior, the drives. They're identical. You seemed so happy earlier. Maybe I should clear your memory of this. I like you more when you're happier."

"NO! No memory fix ri- wait. . . clear my memory? Has this happened before?" Seiren asked with a stunned realization.

"One hundred sixty three times" she said, her shoulders rolling with disappointment. "You've eaten a lot of Aiesu. Its why we ran out of livestock sourced protein. We'll run out of Aiesu eventually too if things continue."

"But. . . what. . ." He mumbled, slipping to the ground onto his knees. The chair was between them at this point. His hand felt two cold things. One of which was not the ground.

She leant upward on her chair, peeking over to get a better look at him.
"Are you alright, dear?" she asked. There was real honest concern in her voice.

"I don't like you feeling like this..." she said. "I don't like it at all."

"Wh. . . who are you, then? If you're not Aiesu, then who or what the HELL are you?" He grumbled, staring at the ground.

"Finally, he asks. Ahem. I'm M...Mmuu...Muuooo..." she mulled over the noise - sounding like she was chewing on bees.

"Muuoo?" Seiren repeated.

"Mmmm..Muuuoooww....ghhhrrr..." she kept trying - child-like fustration beginning to pool in her palette of expression. But still, she kept trying for well over a minute now.

"Muo-gur? Mentor? No, that's a dental... Meow-fur. Minnow-er?"

"Haah. I'm really sorry."

"NOW you're sorry!?"

"Well, I can't actually say my own name. I mean, I can say the word. But its a limitation of how they made me. Its a big short-coming, don't you think? Not to be able to say, speak or write your name. Introductions are so awkward..."

"Programming. You're a robot?"
There was a coldness to his tone. An alienation. As if he wasn't quite there. His hand that felt two things moved backwards, feeling only one thing now. It was not the floor.

"No, I'm intelligence. No different to you. But you live inside meat" she said - glancing at her hand thoughtfully. "Funny, how they saw fit to put me in this." she said, looking over herself with a mixture of awe and disgust, arms up like she'd just been soaked in something putrid.

"In her BODY? Why, as a joke? Who's they?"
Seiren's sickness sat in the pit of his stomach, though it was slowly rising into a burning in his throat. This. . . thing, whatever it was, was not even. . .

"I don't know." she sighed, slumping her shoulder. She bent down, hopping off the chair - clinging to it: she didn't know how to walk, let alone on those legs. She took a slab of thigh-meet off the ground that he'd spilled with the tray onto the sterile floor in her hands, holding it up. But in his mind, something didn't add up.

Seiren noted her closeness to the cutlery, thoughts crossing his mind - reminding him of the knife already in his hand. But she wasn't interested in it. She hadn't even looked in its direction.

"I can't say their names either. But there are twelve of them and this is meant to be one of them. The one you've met." she said, shaking the slab of meat from her index and thumb-finger where it hung, looking at it without disgust, like it were some sort of toy-doll.

"This one. What's she like?"

He noticed her, dangling that meat from her fingers.

The flesh she picked up from the ground.

The flesh that was on his breakfast tray.

It no longer looked like bacon. Delicious, scrumptuous, bacon.

"Ah? Are you unable to talk, dear?" she lilted, confused by his silence.

Nothing.

"...Maybe you're having an aneurism. Sometimes that happens, you know? A vessel inside your neural processing center delivering nutrients and removing toxins just goes... Pop! and the pressure differential destroys your neural fibr-"

"Shut. Up."

He gripped the knife tightly with his hand behind his back, but then lurched forward to drive it into her throat.

"SHUT THE HELL UP!"

♫ Cherubim - "Constant Confinement"

He'd missed, the thing driven instead into her pale belly, staining the white shirt with a dull bronzed red color.
"Haaaaanh..." she quivered, adrenaline confusing her now, something she wasn't used to. "...I love you. This is the third time you've done this. But the first time you've succeeded. Its really ...s..Something, isn't it?" she said, feeling him twist the knife around inside her."

"F-f-fucking crazy bi-bitch!" he gasped, pulling the blade out in a single fluid motion.

It was then, looking over her he saw himself. The blood trickling from the polished silvery blade. The fact he was between her thighs - those false prosthetics having fallen off, the buckles weakened for some reason. She was panting beneath him - a smile and a fondness that in this position suggested that... No no. He couldn't think about that.

But she did. And he could see it. Hear it, in her breathing. The sound she'd made as the blade penetrated her.

"Nhhhkh... It... Hurts a little... You know? Hurt... Hurt is a new one. Its ... Different, isn't it?" she watched.

From this position, there was nothing she could do to hurt him. In her mind, she couldn't work out why he'd reacted this way. It didn't make any sense. But it verified her expectation of organics, as crude and violent.

"Nhgh.. Its... Haaah... Nnn... " she reflexively moved to cover the wound - coughing blood - the smattering on his cheek now. "Its...Its hurrtsssss... Why did you...? Why did you do hurt to me? I love you..."

He could see tears now. Grit teeth. Shivering. She was going into shock and couldn't understand. The context just didn't exist in her mind. She kept saying those last three words in her throat through the convulsions. Over and over.

She was so fragile. His tormentor. And she had no comprehension of fragile or tormentor, both ideas alien to her.

"Y-you don't get it, do you?" He stuttered, trembling while putting the knife between his two hands. Those words she said. . .

"W-when you f-fuck with life like that, people are going to get a little. . . a little. . . oh god oh god oh god."

The inventor could feel himself going into hysterics. He was trying to keep his grip on things besides the knife, but even that was passing.

Carefully, a hand rose - fingers trembling - her palm running against his cheek. Cold. He could feel cold. In spite of this, her fondness hadn't left. But she still had that confusion. He could see she craved an answer, one that made sense.

"I still like you. Are we still friends, dear?"

Seiren couldn't comprehend this. Yes, he just stabbed a girl. Yes, she was detatched. Yes, she looked like Aiesu. But he couldn't comprehend this

"I'm sorry, I'm. . . so very, very sorry. . ." he blubbered, fighting tears.

"Its okay. Don...nnh..." she wheezed. "Don't ff.feel bad. You leak when you... Feel bad. Like the other times."

"Other t-times?" Seiren sobbed, standing up. The only thing that occurred to him at this point was to. . . help this girl through the last of it. He pulled her onto the chair proper now, adjusting it so it was leaned back slightly.

"I told you. This is the... the... the... ... One hundred sixty eighth time?"

"I cried that many times? Did I cho-choose erasing then?" He asked, gripping the knife tightly in his hands again.

"You did, when I offered it. But this is the first time you've asked how many times" she said, feeling her composure return.

"Fi-first time for everything. . ." he mumbled, tracing her ribcage through her shirt. "I-I'm going to try and. . . make this fast."

"Are we still friends?" she smiled. There was no fear in her eyes. She couldn't comprehend what he was going to do. And he knew that.

"...I just want you to be happy. You were happier when I reset you. I donn..Nnh... "

She coughed again - tears streaming invoulintarily from her eyes.

But she wasn't crying. Her expression was surprisingly calm.

"I don't like it when you're sad. It makes me unhappy."

Seiren 'snrked' trying to hold back another sob.
"YY-yeah," he croaked. "St-still friends."

"That makes me happy" she smiled - beaming now - almost laughing. "I really love you, Seiren. You're so much nicer than the others."

That crimson coloured knife, he aimed perfectly. A quick push, and it embedded itself into her heart. Or so he told himself. It's easier to think the knife embedded itself, than to think his hands were the ones that put it there.

"Wait, others?" he mumbled, barely registering the mention amidst the adrenaline.

But it was too late. She looked back with a strange mixture of admiration and betrayal. Admiration as to how much nicer he was, that he took the time to talk to her, to be so kind, whatever that kindness was -- he couldn't remember. And betrayal. Her eyes screamed it.

How could someone who'd been so nice to her do this? And why?

She just couldn't comprehend.

Her lips parted - gasping for air like a fish out of water now - thrashing as she tried to grip something. Anything. Her arms wrapped about him instinctively, tightly, refusing to let go - driving the knife deeper as she pulled him closer. She wanted to look past the betrayal, just to be close to him again. To forget about it and remember that which was good about Seiren Isbala

And then, nothing. Her grip soon became limp. Soft. Cold.

Nobody was home.

"I just wanted to make it fast!" He sobbed into her shoulder, not even caring that the arms were around him, or that the handle was driving into his chest.

It would be a good half hour before he stopped crying. Not for lack of feelings, but for lack of tears. He was thirsty, so thirsty, now. Dry heaves were the only thing he could accomplish at this point.

He barely heard it. A crude synthesized voice spoke out after a short ringing sound that continued to lilt on the air. A door on the opposing end of the room opened - the lights in the room dimming upon his person - with only him, her and the door lit clearly: everything else darkness.

What lay beyond the door was not the Garancier.

He figured out why he hurt so much when he woke up, at least. Going through such an emotional trauma once is bad enough for your body. Going through it so many times. . .

Seiren looked around, spotting the only other glass of juice there. Not even a second was spared before consuming the entire jug.

He didn't pause for air. He didn't pause to let it settle. He just drank.

It would get this foul taste from his mouth, at least.

Hush now baby, baby, don't you cry.
Mama's gonna make all your nightmares come true.
Mama's gonna put all her fears into you.
Mama's gonna keep you right here under her wing.
She won't let you fly, but she might let you sing.
Mama's gonna keep baby cozy and warm.

--

Of course mama's gonna help build the wall.

A Second Awakening, first subject, second trial

MOTHER do you think they'll like this song?

Time: Unknown

♫ Nakaido Chabo Reichi "Densha"

As Seiren departed the scanning room of what he thought was the Garancier, he entered a long and broad corridor of matte material - strange cubic cone pyramids tesselating from all edges of the walls and ceiling, and even the floor beneath: only a pane of glass providing a flat surface to walk upon in the midst of it.

Things were... Uncannily quiet. The walls lent themselves a negative echo. Anechoic.

Filling Seiren's ears were the sound of his own heart, his very blood, his breathing... And nothing else. Silence, for miles, or so it seemed.

He could make out a figure hanging in an obviously painted spotlight.
She couldn't have been taller than about 5'5. Long dark green hair - in a very obviously hime cut... Milky skined that had been darkened, judging by the tanlines about her thighs and arms. Her features were Yamataian, with a Nepleslian twist. Upon the edge of her nose were a pair of red-rimmed glasses - the left lens cracked - sat infront of a thick and heavy blindfold like a deep and bitter joke - the flag of Yamatai emblazoned across it in some clumsy poorly executed metaphor.

They didn't especially suit her, but they were presumably her own.

But they were familiar.

She was completely uncovered, naked other than an assortment of red markings running over her body - different from the lashings he'd spotted.. Strangely she twisted, arms up. Almost like a ballet-dancer.

Looking her over, he saw the glass vanished: a pentagonal pit beneath her, carved into it. A long and orange rope linked her wrists to the ceiling - and another linked over her body in a strange ruby red array - knots biting her skin.

It took Seiren a few moments to recognize where he'd seen this before.

Shiibari

He could also make out lashmarks. Weeping, but not bleeding.

She was out cold. Needless to say, she was not dancing.

The tired boy sat at the edge of this pit, but not closely, upon the stool the fake Aiesu had used in the scanner-room on the fake Garancier. He'd taken a few select things with him, most notably all the cutlery, the spats (from which the silverware was stuck) and the crimson-stained dress shirt and tie.

The glasses, specifically, really stood out, almost giving him a heart-attack - recognizing them. But a second glance was strangely soothing, as if someone was watching him.

"How much do they intend to fuck with me?" he whispered to himself, wiping away a smile of disgust with the back of his hand.

The woman twitched, the rope beginning to swing from that little motion, catching his attention.

"Is someone there?"

Silence. Looking at her naked form, she obviously hadn't eaten in days.

"Hello?"

"Yes" Seiren blankly called out, trying to fight that returning pit of awful in his stomach.

"A-Ah... You speak Yamataian? Can you help me down miss? My name's Sana. Sana Nakamura.. What's yours?" she said, really trying to hide just how scared she was.

His eyes lowered onto her chest, rising and falling. Heavy womanly breasts, the likes of which he'd never seen before so close and so bare.

"I-I'd love to, but- wait, I'm not a miss!" He called back, catching her words a little slowly.

Shaking the noise from his mind, he peered down at the pit beneath. Darkness.

"Ah, you're a little boy?" Sana fidgeted, her thighs rubbing together. He could see her vanity now, feeling the need to hide herself from his eyes as if she were something offensive. As she moved, his eyes rose again, settling on her. Black. A thatched forest of pubic hair, not like the long silky cascading green he felt almost a pang of jealousy for.

"Not that little," Seiren grumbled pouted, a little too quiet for her to hear. His voice then picked up.

"A-Ah.. I'm... Really sorry to be like this... Ah... Could you help me down?"

"I wish I could, but you're. . . a little unreachable at the moment."

"Ah... I'm... I'm really sorry. Please, don't be mad. I don't know know how long I've been here for... Its really hard to think straight Don't leave."

"If I tell you where you are, do you promise not to panic?" Seiren asked, looking around for other. .. parts to the place.

"Its..." she began. "Its like a labrynth. He called it Golgotha. I started out in a room, with a man. And a chair. And food... Lots of food..." she licked her lips, moistening them. Hungry.

"One hundred and sixty eight times. . ." He mumbled, feeling one of the bloodstains on his shirt.

"What?"

Seiren looked back up at Sana. "Nothing - it's nothing. Don't be alarmed, but you are - somehow - dangling over a pit. I can't see the bottom. Can you tell me how you got up there?"

"I was punished" Sana said. "They blindfolded me... Then they hit me and eventually I couldn't stay awake. My ...My shoulders really hurt."

Watching, they were twisted up behind her. It looked painful.

"Punished? By the empress, what the hell even is this place? Why were you punished?"

Seiren's curiosity was mainly to keep her occupied while he looked for a trigger, or something. There had to be more parts to this, otherwise he'd be stuck on this side of a pit forever with nowhere to go. Then he saw the edges of the pit - thin, but negotiable - leading to the other side of the room, which had a door. Closed.

"I don't know!!" she screeched, taking slow breaths now. Sana had obviously been waiting a long time. "I'm... It ...It REALLY hurts. Could you PLEASE let me down? If you're even there at all?"

"I already told you! You're above a pit!" Seiren shouted back, feeling around the odd pyramids on the wall. "I can't even reach you, let alone let you down!"

Most of them opened in some way, the pyramid hollow. But most of them were empty. In sequence in pyramids marked in orange from the black however, Seiren would find a very long piece of rope and a long pole that broke up into two pieces, with a slot for the handle of the knife at the end.

This is convenient. Obviously they intended for this to be an upgrade to use in a more difficult task. . . he thought, affixing the rope to it instead. The blade could wait. He walked his way around the edge of the pit, his gaze affixing to the handle. A new thought occurred to him.

"I'm going to do something that'll require your help, okay?" Seiren asked, tying the rope to the handle and giving it a tug.

"Anything. What do you want me to do? You're not going to slit my throat or stab me are you? I'm... I'm not meat! I'm ... I'm a person. You don't do that to people..." her voice grew softer now - as if she'd been slapped across the face.

"Not again" Seiren snapped, remembering. He was still so. . . raw from the experience. Something occurred to him. His own words. Peoplemeat. . . he thought, staring at her. that not-rightness is back. . .

"Not what?" she said. He could feel she flinched at his loudness, moments ago. He'd shouted.
"Did they do it to you too?"

"Have you met anybody else, here?" He asked, ignoring her question?

"There was a man. Mr. Gossard. He fed me when I came to. He talked... Really strangely. B..But he was really nice. But I..."

She became silent.

He could see her lip quivering.

"He... Really scared me."

"Did you kill him?"

♫ Nakaido Chabo Reichi "Waiting"

"I want to go home" she sobbed to herself.

"I did the same th... One hundred and sixty eight times I went through that, and only once. . ."

". . . Do you remember it yet? Two hundred thirty one times. I'm... " she tried to laugh. "I didn't think to ask as soon as you did."

Yet?

"As soon as I did? I don't remember one bit. Here, I'm gonna throw this rope to you. See if your hands can grab it from their position. Flex them a little."

"I can't see. Tell me when you throw it, okay? And ... Don't drop the other end or we'll lose it.

"Don't worry, I'm two-times safe! Now, get ready to catch. . ."

The first five or so attempts were met with failure. He could see now, how exhausted she was. But on the sixth...

"I got it!"

"Good! . . Now. . . Hm. I didn't think this through. I'm not sure how to un-secure you from that. first rope," he mumbled, contemplating his strategy.

"Is there something I can do? A-Ah... You never did tell me your name..."

"Ah, sorry, I'm Seiren."

"Hey... That's a Yamataian name, right?"

"Yeah. Western continent, born and raised."

"A-Ah... Eastern continent... I wasn't raised on Yamatai, but I was born there. I think. I'm not really sure. My memory ... Gets altered a lot."

"Altered? Like how?"

"Before I got here. My fiance. He's a doctor. My memory is really bad because of something that happened when I was little, so I tried adding new ones to replace what I lost."

"That seems. . . bad. And you just keep replacing memories?"

Seiren looked about the room.

Hollow pyramids that contained items, a person dangling over a pit that leads to their doom, a pole with an insert for a knife, and a door with a handle. He could insert the knife in the pole, but that wouldn't get him anywhere. If he were to somehow miraculously cut the rope, there was still the problem of her momentum when she fell, plunging through the hole.

Even if he kept it tight on the door. So, he decided to look down the pit and hawk a loogie to hear how far the drop was.

A splash? It took nearly a full minute, but he heard it.

"What are you doing?"

"Testing the waters, or so to speak."

"That... Isn't water. Don't drink it."

"How do you know? Been to the bottom of any bottomless pits recently?"

"There are lots of pits. Mostly shallow... I spent hours climbing to the bottom of once. It isn't drinkable... Whatever falls into it dissolves and feeds Eden."

"Eden?"

"Its a big room with ... ... I'm not really sure what they were. But the sign said it was called Eden and things grow in it. So I presume its a garden of some sort."

"Actually let go of that rope. I have a better idea than the one I had before."

"Alright"

The inventor walked around the edge of the room, escorting the end of the rope he had brought with him. he looped it around multiple pyramides, making sure to tie difficult knots (Or as difficult as he could manage) about the bases of the opening parts. With all this in mind, he tugged at it to test the tension.

♫ Ken Ichii "Overlap" (Dave Angel remix)

"What are you doing?"

"Something proper," He mumbled looping back with more length to one of the walls. It would form a very narrow angle with the first one, provided he had enough rope, then he'd loop back to the opposite side in order to cross them.

"Something proper? H-Hey, Seiren?"

"Yeah, proper. I- yes?" He asked, looping back several more times. Once he was finished, a star was underneath her. A pentagram, over the hole - at differing angles, each of the holes except the middle tiny.

"Hey um... " Sana began. "If something happens... Don't forget me, okay? If you find anyone else, tell them I was here. I... I don't want to be forgotten."

"I've got this under control! Don't worry! . ." He assured himself, wrapping himself around one of the extended sides of the 'star' and sloth-shuffling down to the middle, where she dangled - plugging the middle.

"T..They'll do something. They always do something..." she said. He could see her shaking.

"Stay calm. Please, stay calm. . ." He mumbled, reaching the star. With the pole in his hand, he attatched the knife.

"Alright.. Slow breaths... Deep breathsss..." Sana trembled.

"So here's what I'm gonna do. I'm going to cut the rope - don't worry, I weaved something directly under you so as long as you stick your arms and legs out, you should be fine. Like a web."

"S..Stick my arms and legs out? I can't move my arms... And my legs..." she started fidgeting. Ever since he'd entered, she'd clasped her thighs together, trying to hide what little decency she had. "W-Well..."

"Hm. . ."
He took the white shirt off and wrapped it around her lower body, careful to not fall as he did so.
"Now you can do it, right?"

It didn't hide a huge amount: Lacking the arms needed to tie hard knots, but he did his best with the tie.

"W..Wh...Y-Yeah" she nodded, her thighs shaking as she did so. Then she laughed nervously.
"Why am I being such a baby about this? Its just skin... I mean everyone has skin. Even Gossard did. And he was a robot or something."

She was still shaking.

A robot?

Seiren began sawing at the rope, partially wrapping himself around the star so he didn't have any chance of falling while he did so. He was positioned so that she wouldn't kick him if she put her legs out.
"Halfway through. It should be getting less tense, so you may feel it slightly drop. Don't take any chances, just flick your legs out when you do."

She gave a hurried nod.
"If you want my arms to open, you need to cut the rope around my wrists."

"Oh. Smart. . ." Seiren sighed, switching sides of the rope. His efforts would soon yield results, and he took great care not to cut her skin while he did so.

She felt a wrist flick free of the rope - her other hand in reflex gripping the rope linked to the ceiling. She held her arm out. He could now see her hands had turned a shade of purple from the tightness of the rope. The color was beginning to return, but they were bruised.

"It... Its tingling. It feels really weird. Arms out, right? Like this?"

"Yeah. Your arms have been dangling for hours. Your blood's gonna be all funny. Careful now, I'm getting close. Like really close."

He really hoped she was going to be ready. Because there was very little he could do to stop her if she missed the star-net.

"catchmecatchmecatchmecatchmeCATCHMECATCHMECATCHME" she started, feeling the rope wearing weak.

Before Seiren knew what had happened, she was clinging to his body, arms wrapped around him.

Her legs were dangling into the pit.

"Don't drop me..."

Seiren slipped the pole between several of the star's arms and wrapped his arms around her struggling to pull her up.He was still in his "sloth" position, so even once she was up he was safe from falling.

"I won't. Now hold on tight!"

Her arms were vice-like.

He struggled and struggled, using the ropes and the pole as leverage for for his body to pull hers, and eventually she was on top of him. Now came the really hard part.

"So. . . how mobile do you think you are?" he mumbled from beneath her chest, trying to ignore the bare flesh.

She was warm, pliant, surprising soft. And like her appearance, this too was new to him.

"Well... Um... I can move. But I'm really tired... My shoulders really hurt. And I still can't see."

Seiren felt around the back of her head to remove the blindfold, but felt a lock. What the- who the hell locks blindfolds when you can just slip them o-

He tugged.

Strangely, the thing refused to come off. Looking over, he could see the padlock on the back of her neck and beneath, pins running into parts of a SPINE.

"Wait, what. You've got a SPINE," Seiren mumbled, tracing the parts. "But you don't have the ears?"

"Ears? Oh... I'm not Nekovalkyjra. I'm Yamataian."

"Yamatians don't have SPINE!"

"You do if you're military" she said, flexing. He could now see the rope burns on her wrist and... Elsewhere from the shibari he'd barely noticed earlier. "I'm a pilot. Was a pilot. I don't remember clearly."

"Milita- wait this is entirely unimportant right now."

The inventor shifted his neck looking around to figure out how exactly they get across.

"Alrightight, I have an idea. . ." he mumbled, untying the body-bondage she had on bit-by-bit until the whole thing was undone. "I'm going to loop this around one of the strands and tie you to it, so that way you have a bit support, but can slide around to one end. Then, I'm going to undo one of the ends of the rope and pull you along. Sound good?"

He forgot to mention the part where he got out from under her.

"I think so yeah." Sana replied.
He slowly nudged her to the center of the pentagram web of rope, removing the pole and sloth-ing his way across to the other side of the rope again.

Blind, she clung to the rope. Laid on her back, her torso hung through the gap - arms around the cusp of the inner loop, legs dangling into the gaps. He was out.

"Alright, now what?" she said, looking for him - in a very metaphorical sense: listening for the sound of his voice and looking through him.

"Okay. . . I've undone the lengthier end. I want you to catch the part I toss to you, okay?" His voice called from the hallway-side.

"Alright" she said, holding a hand up, balancing herself. "Say when."

"Ready. . . now!"

Seiren tossed the length to her.

It hit her in the head.
"I think your aim needs work."

"I think you're right. Plan B. Just grab on tight and make your way, slowly, to the rope closest to me."

"This one?"

"Yeah. Now wrap around it like a sloth and hold on tight!"

"What's a sloth?"

"Er. Nepleslian animal. Just wrap yourself around it!"

"Done. Now wh-- Hyugh? Hey?"

She could feel him tugging the rope.

Seiren slowly but carefully pulled her along the rope, taking the time to not drag her too quickly.

Eventually, she came up over the edge, laid on her side. Out of danger, he could finally be objective. The knots had bitten black bruises into her skin. Elsewhere, a whip's lashings - like the plasma engines of a Lorath armour bit deeply into her skin.

And she was shaking.

♫ Ken Ichii "Endless Season"

Seiren breathed a sigh of relief once she touched ground.
"I wish I could do something about those bruises," he told her, unsecuring her 'lifeline' to the rope. "Can you walk at all? Or is crawling better? I don't want to risk you tripping and falling down there."

"Can you help me up?" she said, turning her head to the sound of his voice. She was already trying but the strength just wasn't there.

"Yeah, sure."
He found himself looking at her for longer than he should have. Even after he assisted her and placed her hand against the wall to steady herself, he kept sneaking looks at her body.

Every time, he felt guilty.

But he said nothing.

"Well?" she said, holding her arm out.

"Y-yeah. . ." he mumbled, pulling her upright. He made sure that the wall was within reach at any given moment - to hold herself against.

She fell against him, her arm sinking into one of the walls - the pyramid edges, pinning him - curves pressed into his face. He could see she couldn't balance herself - the way she didn't know what to do with her body-weight.

"Uh...? Where are you?"

He could smell her.

"Er. . . I'm right under you," he mumbled in reply, inching his way out from beneath her. This situation was getting more awkward by the second. "I've got an idea. If you could move off of me and more onto the wall, I can go grab a stool I stole to, ah, rest. You can use it to stay balanced more easily than this pole."

Sana leant back, arms out against the wall, giving him to maneuver. From the angle, she couldn't hide anything. Her attention was on the wall infront of her - or rather, through it. About then, she reached up, feeling about the blind-fold, only to find glasses.

"What are these for?" she said, running her thumb over the frame. "They're not mine. You said your name was... Seiren...?"

The inventor slipped out from beneath her, sneaking glances as he went along. He took the glasses, peering down at them.

She could feel his eyes.

"Yes to the second, and I get the feeling those were put there to torment or motivate me. They look exactly like the glasses that my friend wore," he told her, moving a few yards to grab the stool. He brought it over and set it next to the girl, then tugged her hand to it. He took the knife out of the pole and put it back in his spats, resolving to get it later when his hands were free. "Pretty stupid to put glasses on over a blindfold, if you ask me. Especially one as ornate as y-"

"What do they look like? Describe them..."

"Red rimmed, but only on the bottom. Small frames. For whatever reason, the left frame is cracked."

Seiren guided the girl along the wall, tugging the stool a few inches every time she made progress. It was a slow process, but it was safe.

"Square?" she said, clinging to the stool.

"Yeah."

"Aiesu Kalopsia... That ... White witch. This is revenge for all those arguments she lost. . ."

He looked at his partner, startled. "Why do you say that? What did she ever do to you? And I thought your person was somebody named Gossard, not Aiesu."

"He was. But I know Aiesu. real one. We met at Ondina. On Nyl II, under the ocean?. She nearly died" Sana said through bruxed teeth.

"Huh, really? That still doesn't explain why you dislike her so much."

Sana didn't answer.

"Does Miles even know I'm down here? Is Miles here...?" she pondered, thinking aloud.

"Miles? Where have I heard that. . ." Seiren grumbled. By this point, they had reached the door on the other side of the chasm. "Alright, we're at the exit. Can you sit down for a moment, while I run and grab the rope and the pole?"

"Sure" Sana said, hoisting herself up onto the stool. Sana would hear Seiren shuffle about, undoing knots and looping the rope about himself like an adventurer would. Soon enough, he returned to her side, tracing the edge of the blindfold.

"I want to see if I can get this thing off," he told her, examining the padlock closer.

"...Be careful. Every lock I've found in this place has something nasty in it if you mess with it." she said, turning her head. Looking over her back, he could see - gaps against smooth delicate skin - muscle hiding beneath. She wasn't toned but the way her back moved as she did said it was there. Pink dots of sensitive skin descended either side of her spine symmetrically - a dot in the middle, making a constellation of diamond placed perfectly shaped bruises running down her back.

The lock itself had a big obvious key-hole, obvious in its shape: A box about the back of the thing. Her hands met the front of the blindfold, tugging at it. As it came off, he could see her eyes for the first time - sea-green, sparkling but red around the edges from panic and worry, scored marks of exhaustion.

But she looked right through him.

"...I'm... Blind?"

Seiren stopped looking at the padlock.
"If I'm not wrong, you've got a SPINE. I'm guessing this messes with it somehow."

"Well, like I said... I used to be a military armour pilot on the Sakura."

"Well, not much I can do without the key. I don't wanna mess with something that's in your neural net." he said.

"Then what's the blindfold for?" she said, running her fingers over it. She could feel small studded silvery shapes in the same pattern as her SPINE that would be a figure of 8 if the dots were joined up.

"Visual aid," he joked - reaching forward to peel the Yamataian flag off the front - revealing a matched pattern the one on her back, made in silvery studs.

Compelled to hide her nudity, he ripped the thing in half and put the sticky material over her nipples.

"Wait, what are-"

"No sense in trying to worry about what we don't have the tools to fix for now. Let's see if this door is open now."

Seiren tried the handle for the second time that day.

It fell off. Clunk. An exterior of cheap metal cracked, revealing something silvery inside. Peeling it off, hammering it against the glass, there was a loop in one end of it, where it had been attached to the door - the hand itself curved strangely. Like a hook.

In Seiren's hands, the thing peeled open in all directions like an umbrella, sliding shut with the same ease.

A grappling hook. Or maybe a meat-hook. He didn't know.

But then he saw a panel next to the door. The dots, like her back.

"What was that?"

"The door came with a handle. Apparently they didn't pay the carpenter much."

"Is it wooden? Wood is usually a bad sign in here..."

"It's a thingy. It kinda looks like an umbrella. And there's a thingy here that matches your SPINE. And your band."

"Can you bring me to it?" she said, stumbling off her stool toward him.

Seiren did exactly that, pulling her to the door, and her hand to the panel so she could trace it.

Sana turned about, brushing her back up against the gap, hearing a swift click. She was now hanging from the plugs. Routine for her.

The door slowly began to open.

"Uh. . ."

Seiren's jaw dropped. her entire body was the key.

Problem was, would the door still be open once she got off.

"Could you get down for a moment?" He asked, a bit of worry seeping into his tone. Just in case, he slipped the stool in between the door and the frame.

"Come here for a sec."

He walked over to her. "Yes?"

Her hand rose slowly, visibly strained as she did so, lifting the front of the blindfold up. For the first time, her eyes came into focus.

But she didn't say anything.

"You alright?" Seiren asked, biting his lip. "San-"

"You're... Smaller than I thought you were. A kid. No wonder I thought you were a girl." Sana smiled - just glad to be able to see again. She then glanced down at the sticker, pulling at them thoughtfully. "And you can improvise."

"I'm not a kid, I'm just small. . ." he pouted, folding his arms.

"How old are you?"

"Twenty five."

"Huh... Like a little brother, then. Did you not puberty or something?" she said, looking down at his spats. "Castrato? No, you're still too short..."

"What does this have to do with anything? I've got to get you down from there!" the inventor barked.

"Oh, I can do that myself" she said, busy taking in the strange geometry. "So this is... Golgotha, was it?"

"Now you're not making any sense. Come on, get down so we can leave this area," he attempted to pursuade, tugging on the white shirt she was using as a skirt.

Wth another deep resounding click, she detatched from the wall and began making her way toward the door. The stool wasn't challenged or tested. But then she stopped.

"Ah... Its gone again..."

"Huh? You mean your sight?" He asked, turning to meet her.

"...Yeah. Oh and.. Please stop staring at my tits." she sighed, a brief lick of cold ontop of her usual tongue as she clicked it in distaste.

"Sorry!"

She tried not to laugh. "Hora hora... You should be. A child of your age...?" she said, the dialect a rather prim and proper form of Yamataian, arching for elegance. Princess-like. "Honestly."

Seiren blushed, moving between the stool and the open doors to pass into the next room, taking Sana's hand to guide her. Her sudden dedication to properness was curious, but he didn't dwell on it.

MOTHER do you think she's good enough, for me?

RPG-D RPGfix
Back