• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Rejected Submission [Lazarus Consortium] - REFUGE Behavior analysis system

This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
1. "for the purpose of finding commanders - the reason for this functionality being unknown at this time. " <-- Explain, please.

In fact, let's just go with a general explanation of exactly what this thing is for and what it's meant to do for a player. Because, quite frankly, I'm losing patience with you submitting things that are just too dense for an average player to utilize.

Its a tool for a GM to step in and say "look over there" to a player to single out NPCs and funnel players into planned encounters.

GMs already have IC computing power that can do that. Having an OP-sounding tool for that isn't needed or useful.

I want to bolt a name and fancy text to it. Also, at some point these are planned in a plot to be weaknesses abused in drones by characters who are technicians rather than fighters.

That is to say, I've got electronic warfare planned in an existing plot and these are the things that players knock out to gimp a unit.

Specifically state that it's a GM-only tool and not for wider, PC-based sale. As well — you're not a GM, so what plot is this attached to?

I had no idea this was intended for Echoes of Dead Pilots but I was aware of it before, I'll need to talk to Osaka about how she wants to implement this into the plot before I agree to anything. Honestly, after reading after similar systems regarding modern fighter aircraft avionics, I anticipate this to have meltdowns as soon as it's used in busy airspace that may or may not also include civilian traffic.

I'm going to need a few to sit on this. It's my understanding that this is an AI of some sort. As such, we in the Imperium are rather leery about letting in foreign made AI systems.

However, it does seem that this is to be a GM-only tool rather than something that will replace existing systems. I need a bit to chew on this with @Lamb

I would also like to invite @Gunhand4171 and @Archander to share their input in PMs with Lamb and I. Personally I would need to look at the article a bit more, but I am wary of introducing AI like this, mostly because I do not want there to be an opportunity where this system replaces our native AI systems.

If it's to be approved strictly for one plot in the DIoN and not for further usage afterward - whether in other plots or in articles - that may be a decent compromise if Gunhand really needs this for his plot.

I had no idea this was intended for Echoes of Dead Pilots but I was aware of it before, I'll need to talk to Osaka about how she wants to implement this into the plot before I agree to anything. Honestly, after reading after similar systems regarding modern fighter aircraft avionics, I anticipate this to have meltdowns as soon as it's used in busy airspace that may or may not also include civilian traffic.
The computational power available in SARP era computers has been stated to be good enough to run human-like minds within software with software level abstraction. This makes the functioning requirements a non-issue. The human brain can crunch up to 7000 objects at a time and reduce that to 3 meaningful objects every second with only a pair of eyes and some math done against two sonic vibration detectors to determine direction and ranging as well as an entire recall system of a lifetime. an idiot savant can bring that number up into the low millions. This isn't going to be a computational problem like today's aircraft are because we're not subjected to those same limits.

I'm rejecting this submission for IC usage.

Long story short, this is trying to put a technology to something that is effectively a GM power. GMs have lots of ways to satisfy this tech's abilities as is, whether though existing technology or by means they create on their own. This therefore is not needed within the setting.

Approved or not, I'm still going to write it into scenes. "Its as simple as saying that the REFUGE says something big is coming. Everybody get ready." This was just a way of having the format be something players can go look up what REFUGE is. #ohwell

If you're a GM and you're using this technology as a device for your plot, that's fine. At that point, it's a GM device, as it should be.

If you start slipping it into other submissions or attempt to get it in places where you have no GM authority, those posts will automatically be noncanon and subject to deletion.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back