• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[LAZARUS] Molecular Applicator

OsakanOne

Inactive Member
Retired Member
Submission Type: Manufacturing, construction & Mining tool
Submission URL: Molecular Applicator

Faction: Independent
FM Approved Yet? (Yes/No; Who, When) Yes (DocTomoe)

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? (Yes/No) No
Previously Submitted? (Yes/No; explain reason if rejected) No

Notes:
Lazarus' focus on creating schematics for 3D print-style manufacture rather than producing equipment themselves has become costly now that competition exists in the form of Lagrange.

Without the benefit of Origin or other Yamatai sanctioned companies to manufacture their equipment (as Lagrange intends) due to the Notice from Yamatai's Ketsurui Yui, Lazarus are seeking to produce their own equipment independently with as little involvement with other companies as possible.

Re: [LAZARUS] Neutron Applicator multitool

Osaka has kept me appraised as to this design concept, and I give and confirm my approval as a faction manager.

Doc, please don't use colors in your message as that might give off the semblance that the tech was approved when it hasn't been approved.

I'll take a gander at this later.

Not to cut Kyle off, but I'll tentatively warn you the submission is waaay too short and incomplete if you intend this to be used ICly. You should add a brief on usage, appearance.

I'm also leery of giving the Lorath literally perfect manufacturing abilities, or references to it being radically better than basically everything currently used in the setting. Bombastic language is a definitely red flag on the review checklists.

Basically, this article needs to be more than the "About" section, and should have sufficient detail that any player would know how to write about it if it came up in their RP.

Cool beans. I was unsure what needed clarifying upon, hence why I wanted your feedback.

The issue with it is the yield isn't especially high so some operations have to be repeated more than once to get them right. The price of precision is that things take much longer to produce.

Bombastic language will be fixed.

You should add a brief on usage, appearance.

Okay.

sufficient detail that any player would know how to write about it if it came up in their RP.

Okay.

Okay, I've made some changes. Mind going over them for me?

I've mentioned that the level of precision directly affects the yield time meaning while it is a very high precision bit of kit, it is actually very slow so more than one device will likely have to be used. I've also mentioned that in lower precision tasks, things can be rushed (making for some speedy manufacture) but the object will be irradiated, which has problems of its own.

Its also worth noting that um... Prior to this, Lazarus doesn't have any manufacturing capabilities of their own and have been relying on renting equipment owned by the UOC. They do however, have experience designing fabrication equipment.

And ... It should be noted that Lazarus isn't explicitly tied to a single nation. This isn't 'giving the Lorath the capability to manufacture on this scale', this is 'giving EVERYONE the capability to manufacture on this scale'.

I'm trying to work out a good price for such a device. Any ideas?

I would be pretty okay with this, except there's no way to implement this in the submission. And Doc could easily just retrofit a few hundred of the mothballed multi-KM shipyards the Lorath currently own and produce more raw exoticpretentiouslatinium than the site really needs or is currently possible.

If you want, I could be all "Nope, you can't use this. You have to go through me first" and stuff" with Doc -- he is pretty aggressive with that sorta thing so if I hold him in check, would that be cool?

Couple of things.
The Title of the thread should reflect the title of the article.

YOu call this Neutron Applicator multitool, but the page is called Project Caledfwlch.

Second, the article lacks details, you say it uses "nuclear fission or nuclear fusion to cut or seal matter very precisely without interference. "

Nuclear fission results in a burst of energy, and breaks the object into pieces. And those pieces tend to fly off in uncontrolled fashion into other molecules.

That same is true of Nuclear fusion, there is a considerable about of energy given off.

Neither of these processes is really going to give you a precision cutting or sealing process. Not to mention that the effectiveness is directly affected by the density of the material you are trying to work.

Stuff to fix: The overview paragraph is missing, leaving the area immediately below the title header blank. The "about" section is a sentence fragment. Pricing and the in-character year of manufacture is missing.

Thank-you Wes :3

*wonders off to fix*

Hey um... On paper, what do you think a good price for a product like this would be?

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn moreโ€ฆ