Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Lazarus] OPSCURUS encryption & data storage technology

OsakanOne

Inactive Member
Retired Member
Submission Type: software
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=lazarus:opscurus

Faction: N/A
FM Approved Yet? N/A
Faction requires art? No

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Contains New art? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:
Obfuscated Procedural neurally Scrambled Unified Receiver/Upload Schema. Essentially a form of encryption and storage that allows a file to be broken up into lots of tiny pieces and stored in lots of locations and only restored with a neural key.

Incredibly hard to break into without access to the 'key' (A person's neural information) that was used to encrypt the files or transmission and the 52bit 52 character suitenumeric alphabet password - making it damned hard to decrypt and near impossible to trace, even disguised amongst normal traffic.

Likely needs some editing, to ensure other people understand how this works.

What I see and understand, I like from a technical aspect. However, it seems specifically designed to defeat Yamatai's security and legal systems while hiding in plain sight, implying a potential IC effort to undermine a faction's security. I do see IC justification in Lazarus attempting to do such a thing, so it is plausible.

is this intended? If so, will it be done in a way that enriches RP rather than the classical 'hate on Yamatai' stance seen in the past? I'm also unsure of a 'perfect' data defense, something should be hard to hack but still attainable.

EDIT: Luca contacted me on IRC about this matter and informed me that there are specific plot reasons for this. My curiosity is satisfied.

What I see and understand, I like from a technical aspect. However, it seems specifically designed to defeat Yamatai's security and legal systems while hiding in plain site, implying a potential IC effort to undermine a faction's security.

Not sure how it undermines their security. It isn't a penetrative thing, it just lets my characters talk in peace with no risk of being evesdropped by SAINT. It'll be our IC actions that get their attention.

I do see IC justification in Lazarus attempting to do such a thing, so it is plausible.
Neat.

Is this intended? If so, will it be done in a way that enriches RP rather than the classical 'hate on Yamatai' stance seen in the past?

Yeah, a lot of the coordination I want to do across multiple locations and communications can't actually happen successfully if any of the bigger governments (not specifically Yamatai) or their security forces can see what we're saying.

Our downfall will be people making mistakes, not people listening in on them, until SOMEONE defects or they capture one of our people and play ball with the plot -- which is entirely doable. A lot of our people are open to persuasion. They're not flawless -- that's the point.

You just have to provide a better offer without anyone else knowing.

I'm also unsure of a 'perfect' data defense, something should be hard to hack but still attainable.

If you want to break this, you need to capture a construct, undamaged. Since most are designed to self-destruct, you'd have to take the person willingly -- and even then, you can only snoop on THEIR communications -- but that is valuable, since there's often two or three of the same person -- and the others won't know if that particular instance of the person doesn't want to share it.

In short? Powers of persuasion will work IF you can offer something they want. And every member of both Laz and Lagrange ALL have a vice. A specific weakness written into them.

Interrogation will not succeed.

Brute-force computing don't stand a chance.

You'll need a human approach - which is better for roleplay.

EDIT: Luca contacted me on IRC about this matter and informed me that there are specific plot reasons for this. My curiosity is satisfied.

Yay!

making it unusable on sequential systems (such as those in use by Yamatai)
I think the submission would be okay if you left implications about other people's tech out of this.

Do your computers process information step by step, line by line of code in sequenced instructions?

Everything in your tech articles suggests they do.

Almost everything short of freespacers is implied to.

You still haven't fixed what Wes asked you to fix, please remove any references to other factions in your article.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back