• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[Lazarus] Quasiperiodic crystalline materials

OsakanOne

Inactive Member
Retired Member
Submission Type: Material property
Submission URL: Quasiperiodic crystalline materials

Faction:
FM Approved Yet? Yes

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:
Based on a real material. From what I've read, its capable of actually doing all of this and more in excess. It won the nobel prize for chemestry last year(!).

The image used is creative commons, from Wikipedia. Is that okay?

I'm waiting on Wes to respond, to see whether what Osaka said comforts his concerns.

Seriously though, really, there has been a strong shift in ordinance on the part of Yamatai, Nepleslia, and every other heavily armed faction in the direction of using solid munitions.
...which has nothing to do with this submission.

Cost and risk are transient "disadvantages" and don't actually prevent this from being exploited by the next tech designer that comes along.

What, then, prevents other super materials like Aether and Zesuaium from being exploited by some moustache-twirling villain? If someone wants to build a stupid, impractical item by not reading the manual, it should be their problem. Imagine the look on their faces when their system and pilot are cooked alive as the thing takes a beating.

That said though, I'd like to see a faceoff between Yarvex, Zesuaium and Quasiperiodic Panties to see which is the best and most practical.

Villains are one thing. We can work with them having elite or abusive tech because they're NPCs. Tech that PCs can exploit is different. We set precedents, we have to follow them or the shitstorm never stops.

Best to make sure we don't set them.

Doshii Jun said:
Villains are one thing. We can work with them having elite or abusive tech because they're NPCs. Tech that PCs can exploit is different. We set precedents, we have to follow them or the shitstorm never stops.

Best to make sure we don't set them.
And is a negative precedent the fault of the technology, or of the person (not the PC or NPC) using it? We can be responsible people with dangerous things.

I'd sincerely like to think that we're capable of being responsible.

I believe we, as in us folk who have been around a while, are plenty responsible. No concern there.

But we're also players. More importantly, new people are players. Eager, clever and immensely unpredictable when it comes to how they want to contribute to the setting.

It isn't about how PCs and NPCs use it, so much as it's about players creating it. That person or people follows a path the end of which cannot be predicted, and I think it's far easier to stop a problem at the root (the creator) than up at the bud (the PCs).

Yes, it does, it is a clear indicator of balance within the setting and the impact which the submission would have upon existing assets within the established canon.

'Risk' in this case is a non-negotiable fact. Use of the material WILL result in side-effects which would send designs attempting to exploit overuse of the material flying apart at the seams. It is just the same as the weight issue which prevents Zesuaium or Nerimium from being tossed about everywhere, or the heat-wash issue that prevents Aether weapons from being used on a personnel scale.

Furthermore, the present design flaws in the material are unable to be ignored, they're unable to be simply dismissed, and that is the built-in check and balance which prevents the 'next tech designer that comes along' from exploiting the material. Furthermore, if something is designed which works around the issue; there is no guarantee that such a design would be approved, or would ICly be fielded in any meaningful way. When the time comes, such issues can be easily nipped in the bud.

Beyond responding to already voiced concerns; I also must state that prohibiting a submission because of 'What if', severely limits the future of the RP in regard to setting elements. Any item, technology, material, or even features of a society description can possibly be used in some way which was not originally intended. If we start being paranoid about what people will do when they're being creative and imaginative, then that severely hurts the very nature of role playing, and, it shows that players are being discouraged from exercising their own ideas and desires, which could be very misleading about the spirit of our community, if our community is indeed about creative writing as a group.

Our community is about roleplaying...and we roleplay within the setting we've built. If the tech level in the setting was entirely static, that would be fine with me. We already have almost everything a space opera setting could ask for and the further we push things, the more confusing it gets.

Ultimately this submission isn't going to help RP, it's just going to be a background fluff article linked by some new toy for Osaka that will join her graveyard of unapproved mecha articles.

Prove me wrong.

APPROVED

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…