• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[Lazarus] ROM construct AI

OsakanOne

Inactive Member
Retired Member
Submission Type: Technology
Submission URL: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=lazarus:rosa

Faction: (currently being used on the Akahar, a Lorath plot)
FM Approved Yet? Yes (DocTomoe)

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles? No
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:
Most of this is already covered in the backstory of one Aiesu Kalopsia but I just want to put out the concrete hard 'rules' and limitations of a ROM construct for future consistency.

Yes, its probably illegal.

No, it isn't public knowledge (yet).

I'm not a tech mod, so my concerns fall outside of that authority. Ignore as needed.

I worry about defining souls, and Soul Savior technology, too much. It's a part of my plot (which is only temporarily stalled, I swear!) and I wanted the chance to go after that technology. That's all.

" the principle of life, feeling, thought, and action in humans, regarded as a distinct entity separate from the body, and commonly held to be separable in existence from the body; the spiritual part of humans as distinct from the physical part. " Soul, as stated by a Dictionary.

All passive aggressiveness aside. I am honestly quite find with in-character discussions about the soul. There are some things technology just can not explain, and I like that idea.

I'll qualify: the definition of Nekovalkyrja souls, to which Soul Savior tech is tied in part.

There are some things technology just can not explain, and I like that idea.

Correction: there are some things technology cannot explain yet.

Whenever anything becomes directly observable, its magical thinking and unexplainables are crushed with axiom and knowledge: Truly, provided anything is observable, it is doomed to become knowable

In a universe where the mind can be read and replicated, it is merely information to be seeded, transmitted, altered and destroyed.

"Soul Transfer" is a neural backup. It doesn't take away the soul of a Nekovalkyjra or none would have them due to the frequency of the process. And storing a thing as information requires understanding it in at least part. Reading and acting on the actions encoded in that information requires a working functional knowledge.

Why is the brain still a mystery? Because of a thing called ethics. When you discard ethics, you make tremendous advancements, at the cost of human happiness to a degree where it enters the domain of the true horrors of what it means to be human.

The nazis built the foundations of modern anatomical knowledge with horrific experiments.

The foundation of all modern safety systems and the stress limits of the human body are based on the experiments the Japanese did on their prisoners of war to see the breaking point of the human body.

It will remain a mystery until one of two things happens:
  • A safe and ethical way (or really, a legal way) to examine the human brain in high resolution (atom for atom) during normal actions unencumbered is found.
  • Someone (most likely a government as it has happened so many times before) gets sick of waiting for an ethics committee and funding groups to tell them what they can and cannot do because they want an advantage and don't want to wait for the technology to catch up -- and do it anyway (likely in secret), furthering us as a species via atrocity and (ironically) losing more of our humanity.

Like all things, the soul is doomed to be destroyed when we replace superstitious ignorance with knowledge.

You are entitled to your superstitions:

What you believe is not my business but the world around you is built of reality and empirical facts and superstition is merely a corrective distortion on a lens we all already have made of bias, apathy and ignorance. It repurposes the lens into something useful and functional in the form of comfort, compassion and communication but is not mutually exclusive of these features being inherent in all of us simply out of empathy alone.

Our goal as a species should be to escape the lens and live in reality instead of our own reality. We're not intuitively capable of that, which is why we have logic, mathamatics and scientific principles which step in and help us. When it becomes intuitive yet we are still capable of compassion out of empathy instead of needing a dangling carrot called an afterlife is likely when we'll evolve as a species.

I'm sorry if I've upset anyone. It was not my intention.

Song seems fitting.

--
โ™ซ Saya no uta - "Sin"

I don't think this article is easily understandable to the casual wiki reader. The first thing any article should have at the top is a really clear explanation of what the article is about and how it's useful.

I worry about defining souls, and Soul Savior technology, too much. It's a part of my plot (which is only temporarily stalled, I swear!) and I wanted the chance to go after that technology. That's all.

Define 'go after'. Our different definitions of the technology don't have to be mutually exclusive, I've told you.

Right now, Soul Savior tech is vague. Purposely. So are "souls." I wouldn't want my explanations to conflict with yours, especially as my PCs discover/deduce different things and I wiki them.

This all is from the Yamataian side of things, and really has to do with Neko most of all.

The nature of the brain -- the 'soul' at its core is information.

Information itself is still hugely mysterious and we are constantly discovering new and mysterious things about it.

For example, quantum entanglement... That the same information can exist in two places and changing one of them freakishly affects both with no obvious attachment between point A and point B... Or probability bias, which is thought to tie into coincidence, giving the idea of 'luck' some solidarity. Freaky stuff!

How will this be used (and abused) in the actual roleplay?

It allows the same character to be in more than one place at once, though they cannot share memories and the copy degrades after a fairly short time and its a setup for part of the Akahar plot that I'm already part of -- and a large part of the guts of the Lazarus Consortium itself, working toward a gradual rolling crescendo.

If you're worried, I'll break things down for you:
  • Forking allows sharing but only for a copy to share with a copy of a copy (every copy has an exponentially shorter life than whatever made it, meaning if copying was continual and infinite, they could never out-live the original) -- meaning unless they can dump records and read them somewhere, they'll completely forget what they were even in the system to do in the first place after a set amount of time.

• Agents just allow manipulation of a conquered or compatible software system remotely and some veeerrry basic automation. They're also prone to mistakes without a guiding hand. Think ED209; powerful within its intended scope but paralyzed beyond it and unable to make complex decisions for itself.

• In theory it would allow for some pretty sophisticated digital warfare - granted nothing Pantheon can't already do -- though this has some wonderful lease of independence and sophistication Pantheon doesn't quite have, due to Pantheon's dependence on platform and the fact a huge quantity of the code-base (Neko OS for one) is black-box.

At this point, I have to ask; What are you frightened of? The only user at this point is a 5'3" Llmanel who's never handled a gun in her life.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn moreโ€ฆ