• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Lorath] “Ek'yra” Railgun Service Rifle

I think I vaguely remember that rail guns have heat generation issue..
Due to the rails thin size that improves the rifles range and rails high conductivity, the rails would eventually overheat after several rounds*, I think the gun needs some type of cooling mechanism. This mechanism would simply be cleaned during maintenece.

*Like on the order of thousands

You know it's funny:

There are cooling systems on hand-held weapons but I've yet to see a powered-armor or starship with any cooling equipment.

Just an observation.

Is there a chance we can get a diagram of the weapon?

I wouldn't mind if I took a crude sketch of yours and produced a 3D model, actually, now that I've got my system working properly.

I think the ranges are too long. 15 miles? No one can see that far, let alone hold a rifle steady enough...

Wes said:
I think the ranges are too long. 15 miles? No one can see that far, let alone hold a rifle steady enough...

Cybernetic augmentations, range finding data feeds, nekovalkryja superior sight capabilities, nekovalkryja muscle structure, and maybe even powerarmor... those compensate for such limitations.

EDIT: I did consider wanting to reduce the range, however the 15 Mile listing is for "Maximum Range", for that, I don't think I can really reduce that due to the range of railguns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun#Ra ... as_weapons

1. In information, you say it can accept up to 12 mm-caliber ammo. Then, in ammo descript., you say up to 13 mm-caliber. Pick.

2. How can it accept ammunition cartridges? They use a completely different system. Drop this. It takes railgun rounds, period.

3. How durable are the rails? How quick can they wear out? How long does it take to replace them?

4. 2,250 m/s isn't too quick. Unless that's "miles/second," in which case we have some editing to do.

5,000 m/s is a good number. But it will increase the kick some when firing the larger projectiles (one reason Yamatai stuck with a small round with lots of speed).

4. How can the trigger assemblies be the same? The normal rifle has to interact with an entirely different bolt that does completely different things. That some of the trigger assembly PARTS are the same does not mean the assemblies, as units, are interchangeable.

Doshii Jun said:
1. In information, you say it can accept up to 12 mm-caliber ammo. Then, in ammo descript., you say up to 13 mm-caliber. Pick.

2. How can it accept ammunition cartridges? They use a completely different system. Drop this. It takes railgun rounds, period.

3. How durable are the rails? How quick can they wear out? How long does it take to replace them?

4. 2,250 m/s isn't too quick. Unless that's "miles/second," in which case we have some editing to do.

5,000 m/s is a good number. But it will increase the kick some when firing the larger projectiles (one reason Yamatai stuck with a small round with lots of speed).

4. How can the trigger assemblies be the same? The normal rifle has to interact with an entirely different bolt that does completely different things. That some of the trigger assembly PARTS are the same does not mean the assemblies, as units, are interchangeable.

1. Oops, a typo in the writing process. ^^;

2. Well, I meant it would fire the whole damn thing, cartridge and bullet. But of course, I'll give it a tweaking to remove that concept.

3. Added suggested rail replacement guidelines under the maintenance section.

Added an average time required to replace rails under the "Interchangeable Rails" section of the feature listing.

4. Mmm, I was being conservitive and basing the speed off of modern rifle projectile speeds, however, I will take a look at real-life railgun technology and adjust speeds accordingly. However, due to the increased speed, I will have to up the range (Much to Wes' dissatisfaction).

To explain my range increase: I feel that with such an immense speed, it would be insensible to list the weapon's minimum and maximum distances as they are. Yes, it would be difficult for a shooter to live up to such distances with consistent accuracy, however, that is what bipods, scopes, and cybernetic augmentation are for.

5. Well, the design I have in mind, utilizes the mechanical function which would ordinarily interact with a standard rifle bolt to instead manipulate components within the railgun frame to close the circuit which activates the weapon's discharge.

In short, the thing that would normally be engaging a mechanical process in the standard rifle configuration, is instead completing an electronic circuit by physically closing a circuit. Something like using a gun trigger as a light switch.

However, if it continues to be an issue, I can edit it and conduct the same edit in my other rifle articles which utilize the same concept.

EDIT: By the way, I made the changes while typing this up.

PS: Thank you Doshii for dropping by the tech (drama) section.

There's a problem with your ranges, Doc, which I just realized now -- they're useless.

You're giving ranges to a weapon that fires various calibers with the flick of a few switches. That means the ranges will change based on the cartridge being fired. Can you qualify the ranges (you won't need to change them) by saying they're for the most common caliber used out of the weapon? That will give you flexibility with the big guys, and limit you further on the smaller ones.

As for the trigger assemblies: I'm being really picky here, Doc, and I apologize for that. But the problem you're having is that each trigger assembly must interact with each rifle a different way.

I think the only way you cold do it, and you can swipe this idea and use it, is to have the actual trigger assemblies be very limited in scope. So they have no hammer built in (a deviation from what's normal). Honestly it's the hammer on the service rifle that's killing you here.

If you remove that hammer part, and say it interacts with a built-in hammer, or interacts with another kind of button-striker (which I recommend), then you can do it.

It will work by having the trigger more or less push a prong upward on any of the rifles in question, which pushes a button that fires the hammer/closes the circuit/activates the plasma. Simple as pie.

Well, for the sake of not having to edit the already approved service rifle, I am going to utilize the hammer itself as that prong which hits the button which does the thing, and I have adjusted the description of the mechanical process in the write-up.

EDIT: Honestly, its making little sense to me from this point, but I'm thinking my point is getting across. If not, I'll use a simple diagram.

- ||
The hammer is in a resting position.

->||
The trigger has been pulled, the hammer progresses from it's resting position.

-||~~~BZZT~~~~ BOOM
The hammer has contacted the receiving mechanical 'button' component, the component completes the circuit which activates the process of the weapon's discharge.

If this method don't work, then I'll go about tweaking the other submission.

*nods* That's fine now. It's a bit overcomplicated, but it's fine. So long as the hammer's not doing anything but engaging a button.

Edited the effective range of the weapon to indicate the ideal effective range for a soldier's conventional usage and not maximum range which the weapon could be used.

Also added a blurb on the selector for the kinetic force application.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back