• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[Lorath] “My'hyz” Service Rifle

Why store excess gas from a discharge? The mechanical procedure allows you to fire after a pause, not added gas. The gas doesn't help you at all.

Also, the description at the bottom is the same as the one for the railgun.

... The railgun and service rifle combination feel like they overlap some. And the ability to so easily change calibers is something I can understand on the service rifle (barrel switches) and the grenade gun (tough insert, low pressure from the round). But how is it done on the railgun?

Also, on the service rifle, what's the max length of a round? And how does the hammer work when it's a caseless round? Does it still fall forward, or is that mechanical process eliminated?

Otherwise, the weapons are pretty basic. Glad to see the quality submission; now I just need to do mine and actually get some art for it somehow.

Removed the gas storage, I figure the mechanical method can work.

Yea, the history is the same since both weapons are essentially debuting at the same time, and have the same social impact on the Lorath.

In the railgun application, the caliber is adjusted by adjusting the distance of the rails from each other. Closer together for smaller rounds, farther apart for larger rounds.

Doshii said:
What's the max length of a round?

**Caliber:** The weapon can be adjusted to accept munitions ranging from 4mm to 12mm, with casings ranging from 4mm to 13mm in width, and lengths from 10mm to 80mm

(Added "Overall length from 10mm to 80mm" to the wiki article)

As for the operation of the weapon in regard to caseless rounds, it utilizes a piezoelectric spark to ignite the propellant when it comes down upon it, so yes, it maintains the same mechanical operation.

Over all, the weapon is designed to require little to no additional familiarization when utilizing alternative ammunition. The most adjustment the soldier would have to cope with are range limitations and stopping power.

So there's no "hammer" in either weapon, really. It works like Remington's EtronX rifle.

Also, when I asked about the length of the round, I meant for the service rifle, not the railgun. It matters because the longest you could have a round be is 60 mm or so -- you can only have the bolt go so far back IF you continue to standardize with Yamatai's service caliber, as the bolt has to eject the 51-millimeter-long casing of the cartridge. So that's what you're stuck with.

Or, you could cut down on the supposed calibers the thing can digest, or you force folks to change the upper receiver to fire calibers that are 80 mm long.

The bigger problem, however, is the bolt width -- the bolt needs to be able to safely chamber caseless and cased ammunition. Right now, there's no description as to how that works. Does the bolt expand and contract? If so, is there a switch? If not, how does it compensate for all these different types of ammunition?

Didn't understand? In short: You're trying to make the gun do 20 different things without explaining how it does them.

Added additional bolt information, and added elaboration on the caliber information. Added a limit to 60mm for the casing, and 80mm overall including the bullet.

Reviewer Doshii Jun recommends this submission be approved, with the exception that the pico jelly used to adjust the bolt's face wear out every 400 rounds, requiring the soldier apply more after field-stripping the bolt down. This exception is designed to remove the abuse pico jelly could afford future designers.

Doshii Jun said:
Reviewer Doshii Jun recommends this submission be approved, with the exception that the pico jelly used to adjust the bolt's face wear out every 400 rounds, requiring the soldier apply more after field-stripping the bolt down. This exception is designed to remove the abuse pico jelly could afford future designers.

Miles: D:

However, I will add that in as a maintenance issue.

EDIT: Maintenance guideline added.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back