• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[Lorath] 610mm Subspace Assisted Railgun

Will do, will give this a full looking over once I've got some time.

According to your DR stat it does SDR 5 in kinetic damage alone, not accounting for the round's damage atop of that.

Effectively, you're going over the SDR 5 scale, which is unacceptable. Can you remove the DR rating the gun has, and say it depends on the round instead?

Here's an idea then:

Create a new round to accompany this weapon, one that is SDR 5 so to address this issue. Just attach it to the article

Because the weapon alone can't do the damage, it's relient on the ammunition it uses.

The thing is he has a linked Lorath Ammunition(s) page that this weapon uses. He doesn't actually need a new round.

Spoke to Kyle over IRC PM, discussed the issue of the damage, and we came to the conclusion that the damage, regardless of the ammo used, is going to end up being capped at SDR 5, unless for some reason the round in question detonates at a separate time, inflicting less than SDR 5 during the detonation of the round in question.

In short; it won't break the DR system, it won't go beyond SDR 5 when it hits something.

No, because Kyle and I worked out that the SDR 5 cap is solid and in place, so there is no issue.

Yes there is, since because the way it was written implies that it can go over SDR 5. I don't care if you agree that it's capped there, it needs to have a clear damage statement. Please change it, because it's the only thing holding up your submission and I'm seriously tired of arguing with you over and over again.

Sharp.

I've already talked with Doc about this, there is no way TO change the SDR rating because the moment you fire it it'll be SDR 5. I'm not the only one who see's this, there are a few others who I've talked to on IRC who also see it.

That's one of the issues with railguns in general, it doesn't matter what ammo you use - it'll always be SDR 5 unless something interferes and causes the round to miss or slow down.

1.) I'm still not going to allow this to be approved if it can be read as being able to go over SDR 5. I will not compromise on this.

2.) How/Why is this going .9c? We're trying to step away from fraction of c railgun speeds. .9c is far too fast, and should be changed. By the logic of your own argument Kyle, going even that fast would crack a planet like a nut. I remember rejecting this same submission for the same reason previously.

In fact, if nothing has changed since last time why should this be approved at all?

I shouldn't have to run around chasing my tail, I have a life and I choose to spend some of my little free time in the NTSE. I'm arguably the most active NTSE mod currently, and having to circle around the same crap over and over again is simply ridiculous; it's wasting my time, and is asinine.

Now, fix the damage rating.

Please either fix the speeds or make a good argument for why it should be 9/10 the speed of light.

1: It does not go over SDR 5, furthermore, it is beside the point because the Damage Rating system is more of a guideline than anything else, and damage effects produced are left up to the GM involved.

2: How: Science-fiction-science using subspace encasement technology to reduce the gravitational constant of the round as it progresses down barrel, this influence allows for less energy to be required to accelerate the round to .9c.

Why: This speed is required for the purpose of accurately hitting ships moving at .375c or greater while in motion. As things stand, if a railgun is unable to fire at anything near the speed of light in this setting, the weapon is at a major disadvantage due to the sheer velocity which can be obtained by power armor, fighters, missiles, and starships. More so, in relation to energy weapons, which can travel at the speed of light, and deal just as much damage, without the need to reload, and without the limitations of a solid projectile, the projectile speed and damage scales properly to other weapons already present in the setting.

Furthermore, the parameters of the weapon were changed as requested by Kyle, to have a limitation on the weapon in relation to platforms it can be mounted on, establishing that due to recoil, the weapon can not be installed upon ships smaller than a 'cruiser'.

Then I'm afraid I'm rejecting this on the grounds that you refuse to cooperate with an NTSE mod. It honestly doesn't take all that much effort to fix the way you word the bloody damage rating, and I'm tired of arguing with you about it.

The rest doesn't matter anymore; fix the submission and try again in a few days if you're so inclined.

I know for a fact Doc has been working with another Tech Mod on this submission.

For that reason I am un-rejecting it, and I will review it myself and put my findings here.

Nashoba.

Ok, here are the issues and some of my recommendations.

Missing - A general topic sentence under the title header
Sort of - In the proper format/template headings are different but has the necessary sections.
Missing the -The in-character year of creation/manufacture

Propulsion Sabot: - This is rather overkill. The whole principle of a Rail gun is to use the gun to take care of firing the projectile. Adding thrusters and the FTL feature are just too much.

each round can be equipped with a FTL propulsion sabot,
There are no FTL weapons in the SARP, other than FTL torpedoes. Torpedoes can use FTL to enter an area but their actual attack runs can only be at STL speeds.

Recommend just removing the velocity. You have already stated the range of the weapon leave that. Trying to get a projectile that large to those kinds of speeds in roughly 98 feet, is not really scientifically feasible, let alone the recoil.

Starship Combat Guide

Addressed the topic sentence, manufacturing date, and removed the sabot. As for speed, the Abwehran 'Chase' 600mm railgun is able to accomplish acceleration up to .6c with magnetic forces alone. Lorath railgun technology incorporates subspace-field generator systems to further enhance speeds attained by the projectile within the barrel. Though, if it continues to be an issue, I could remove it and leave speeds up to GM intuition.

I have a curious suggestion.

If we should look at this like a torpedo, in order to attain FTL speeds...what if it was a torpedo? The problem was that the railgun couldn't get the shot to the target in time, right? In that case, get the railgun to the target and take the shot from there.

I mean this: Fire an FTL torpedo. Within the torpedo is a railgun setup for a small projectile (a can of ravioli, perhaps? Or maybe a shotgun-shell-ish set of ferrous pellets) that, as the torpedo is about to drop back, or does drop back, into STL speeds, the torpedo can fire. The recoil would slow the torpedo down, but not significantly given its previous speed (FTL), and besides, it isn't the main projectile, the shot is/are the damage dealers.

According to Mass Effect 2, even a five-pound slug at 1.3% lightspeed can cause nuclear-weapon-scale damage. Get five, ten, or more of those things fired from a railgun that is already moving at close to lightspeed at what may as well be point-blank range...you'll do damage, right?

I could be wrong, but it's an idea.

The speed isn't much of an issue for damage from Doc's perspective, Missing. It's the accuracy at extreme ranges and ability to hit a mobile target he's worried about. And when most vessels it might be firing at can move the majority of .4c in STL, slowing his projectile from .9c even to .6c will change the amount of leading the target, and therefore the margin of error, to a staggering extent.

Accuracy is a matter of how good the computer's are on the firing ship. This is basically shooting a 55 gallon drum sized object at high speed with a warhead. Using Missing's data, a soup can to something weight 550lbs if it was filled with just water.

ECM systems won't work because it doesn't have a guidance system, and its not going to leave much of a radar signature until it gets close.

Honestly, there are many factors to consider in space combat. range, distance, and the fact that your enemy is not going to sit still or move in straight lines in the middle of a battle. The truth of the matter is Mass Drivers are better as knife fighting weapons, or orbital bombardment. Really you need to think of them as a catapult(The concept is essentially the same too), and not a standard ship gun. The Gartagen Military uses Gauss weapons heavily, but when fighting at a range you won't see them really use their gauss cannons, they will fire missile and XRASERs...but even then XRASERs still have a chance of missing due to the time it takes to reach the target at long ranges.

Honestly at ranges of millions of miles missiles are your best chance; or closing to point blank ranges which most reasonable commanders would strive to avoid.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…