• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Approved Submission [Lorath] LM-TCR-SH-001 Pelican

Status
Not open for further replies.
This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Sure, @Syaoran, and that's fine with me. Man, if we'd only done that with the Mishhu. ...

And that's fine with me too. I'm cool with them using borrowed words, from a NTSE standpoint.

Sorry about that @Doshii Jun, just realized it might've seemed like I was kind of attacking you for not going along with it. I get that you do, I just to retort to the point you brought up so I quoted you cause it'd be easier.

So yeah, I know you're okay with it, just wanted to clear that up.

Master Chief here. I see you want to name your type of dropship the same name as the kind I use. Here's my thoughts: Regardless of the legal status of using the name Pelican for a dropship, it comes off as lazy and unoriginal. Even if you're not trying to copy my dropship, it will always come off that way.

Okay, so, uh, alternate name suggestions? I can easily move this page and update all the backlinks automatically using the move plugin. I just need to know what the new page name should be.

If we're not concerned about the legality of "Pelican," I don't care that it changes or not. I leave it to the creators, despite Master Chief's rather masterful stroke.

I agree with Doshii, theres no reason to change the name, and being this picky over a name, will cause people to not want to contribute to the setting, cause this is a lot of hassle over just a name...

This has kind of been a pet peeve of mine regarding the Lorath.

For perspective: when I first started roleplaying on this site, with my flagship character Kotori, my first ever mission concerned the Lorath first contact. The Lorath as a race were presented, and one thing the creators were adamant on was that the Lorath had nothing to do with humanity... despite being humanoid, winged, having a lot in common with the Elysians.

And having Wolves. That they called Wolves. Even as a new player, that was kind of a facepalm moment for me. It felt like an uneven, and perhaps even hypocritical, standpoint to me. Moreover, it felt creatively lazy.

And I look at how the Lorath have developed since then. I look at the original and ambitious designing pushing them forward, I look at the language devised to establish even User Interfaces... but they're still hobbled creatively by terran names.

Whereas I look at Nashoba's Hidden Sun clan and - while I'm not a wild fan of the man-tigers aliens - damn, is that culture fleshed out. And there's language to it. More language. And even more language and cultural bits. Maybe even too much of it for reader ease... but gosh, it's hard not to be impressed at the amount of effort that's being poured into that.

And, after that... I look at an article like this, and while it follows precedent... I'm just baffled by the maintained desire to come second rate in this respect "We're great, and we design awesome things, but yeah, we won't other with that bit". And this, from the people that produce amongst the most exotic, scientifically stepped submissions on the site. There's even a third of the Lorath caste which are essentially shapechangers that have totem animals tied to them so I'd figured that aspect would be of prime importance - but no, too much of a bother to go beyond Earth animal names even though the Lorath have nothing to do with it.

But justifying advanced equipment with technobabble based on newtonian/thermonuclear/quantum physics? No problem!

You want "Pelican". Take it. I won't stop you.

But I fail to understand the continued desire to wallow in mediocrity on this aspect of your culture when it's a prime factor to creating a third of your characters. Especially considering it's been ten years of that now.

Reactions: Wes
Well your comparison to the HSC kinda goes out the window @Fred cause the plot ship is Yome Ismâopate which means Searching Hawk I don't think the HSC technically has earth hawks. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to make an entire dictionary and come up with animal names. Not everyone has the time or that kind of creative thinking. Being peeved that someone is not as creative as you is just plain obnoxious.

And again, that could just be a -localized- name. Naming an article by a faction language name makes it difficult to search. Even Nash's HSC artciles are hard to search because they're not words that we know and are used to. The thing making it easy is that he has a localized name for them in () and almost NONE of his article name spaces are actually in the HSC language, just the page titles are.

Right.

There's nothing beyond the name that's cut people off about this submission, and it's taking comments from all sides. The discussion is vibrant and welcome. We even got Master Chief in on it.

However, we're off-target and headed toward broader issues.

The submission itself is fine -- nothing OP, fits the faction manager's wants, has art and is as quality as @Eistheid's usual work. As Wes does not appear to be concerned about the name beyond its creativity,

this submission is approved for IC usage.

Thread locked.

I invoke my right to un-approve this submission because it did not have the submission review checklist.

Furthermore, as site's owner, I am not comfortable with the name, and I ask that this submission's name is changed as soon as possible.

This review is for: "Pelican" starship

The submitted article is/has…
[x] A very high level of overall quality
[x] A general topic sentence under the title header
[x] Artwork (Required for new species; Strongly recommended for vehicles and hand weapons)
[x] Needed and/or useful to the setting
[x] In the proper format/template
[x] Proofread for spelling and grammar
[x] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[x] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[x] No red and/or broken links
[x] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[x] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[x] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[x] Obtusely redundant
[x] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[x] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[x] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[x] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[x] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[x] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[x] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[x] Lacking Detail
[x] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[x] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[x] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[x] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[x] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary
Note here if any serious issues are present. These are the issues that will hold up approval.

None.

Status: Approved by this NTSE moderator, but denied by site administrator.

Notes
Name change demanded.

Review complete.

Okay... This exploded unexpectedly. I really don't understand why such a big deal was made about a name, but as I said before I wasn't attached to the name anyway. As such here is the updated article: https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=lorath:starship:ptitsae

All instances of Pelican have been removed and the namespace is updated.

I'm really disappointed that this thread exploded like this... I expected better.

As a final note whoever made the John-117 post clearly didn't look at the article because this is a cargo hauler, not a dropship.

Alright, thank you.

In case there's any confusion over the approval status: this submission is approved since Doshii approved it with the checklist.

We have both domestic and foreign names for most animals now: trade is mandatory in schools now. See, inventing names is done to death in settings. What isn't is seeing how languages riff off eachother, how societal ideas of what words mean even when loaned change. We VERY DELIBERATELY do this with the lmanel aspectation specifically because in our language there's already feelings and sentiments attached to animals and given trade is a universal language that would spread like wold fire.

Inventing new names is done to death. What we call a lion is not what you call a lion: lion is a quality now as much as it is a noun and that quality differs from society to society.

Given how much th he lorath changed when they joined the big stage of known space, their culture forking into orthodox and reform, language too would change.

Adequately modelling such a cultural shift hasn't been done in the sarp before and is incredibly rare in sci-fi at all.

I'd say what you're suggesting is less original than what we actually did.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…