Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

SACN [Lorath Matriarchy] Urgent Message; Subj, YSS Eucharis

DocTomoe

Inactive Member
Sender: Velor 'Tomoe' Tur'lista
Subject: YSS Eucharis & Lorath Convicts - URGENT
To: Ketsurui Yuumi. Ketsurui Yui
CC: Nepleslian Sky Marshall's Office, Abwehran Imperial Cabinet's Office, Gartagen Union Council Offices, Free State Polysentience

Greetings,

It has come to our attention that the YSS Eucharis is harboring Lorath Occhestians on-board, who have been convicted of crimes against the state. At this time, the Lorath Self Defense Force has been ordered to retrieve those convicts for the purpose of determining if their sentence is to be suspended or continued. However, despite attempts at communicating peacefully with Shosho Hanako, she has chosen to abscond with the convicts.

Currently, four Raptor-Class ships have been deployed for the purpose of attempted recovery of these convicts. At this time, I formally request that neutral third-party mediation be provided between the Yamatai Star Empire and the Lorath Matriarchy to determine if the Lorath Matriarchy has rights to the convicts in question, and if it is determined that the convicts should be returned, that they will be without opposition.

Furthermore, I request that action be taken to prevent the Eucharis from continuing their attempt to flee with the Occhestian convicts. I request this, in hopes of avoiding the need to detain the Eucharis by force if necessary.

With Urgency,
High Priest Velor 'Tomoe' Tur'lista

To: Velor 'Tomoe' Tur'lista

Thank you for your inquiry.

Yamataian starships are part of the Yamatai Star Empire and our sovereign territory. Any person on them is to be considered in our territory. Therefore, you have no legal authority over these previously-enslaved Occhestians there. You have already attacked our ships with mines and this further harassment of Yamatai's military forces is unacceptable. Cease immediately or we will respond with force.

To: Ketsurui Yui
CC: Nepleslian Sky Marshall's Office, Abwehran Imperial Cabinet's Office, Gartagen Union Council Offices, Free State Polysentience, Ketsurui Yuumi

I protest your stance on this issue, and issue a counter argument,

Our convicts are ruled as property of the state, to harbor a convict of the Lorath Matriarchy is to deprive the Matriarchy of material goods which belong to the Lorath judicial system. At this time, your Shosho Hanako is a thief, and we seek to prevent a situation in which we must detain the Shosho and her ship for theft, charges which may also be extended to possession of stolen property, and possibly harboring a known spy. We however will settle for a peaceful resolution, or, diplomatic arbitration.

Furthermore, we will bill the Star Army of Yamatai for destruction of property, our mines do not replace themselves, and your Shosho's hasty entry into a system while fleeing from Occhestian Navy and Lorath Self Defense Force ships resulted in the destruction of said property.

Code:
Attachment: Bill for destroyed property; 7,500 KS

Taisho, I would rather not be petty however, we simply desire that our convicts be returned into our custody. If that request seems unreasonable, I still desire to reach an accord and amicable settlement, which does not involve a regrettable incident.

- Sincerely

The Yamatai Star Empire does not recognize any sapient being as being property. For a peaceful resolution, you must allow the Yamataian ships to leave without interference.

I refuse to pay for your mines. They were an unmarked navigational hazard that presented an imminent danger and they attacked without consideration of their targets.

CC: Nepleslian Sky Marshall's Office, Abwehran Imperial Cabinet's Office, Gartagen Union Council Offices, Free State Polysentience, Ketsurui Yuumi

Then the Matriarchy requests arbitration for a case to retain ownership of our property while in Imperial space in accordance with; "Yamataian Criminal Law, 6.12". Furthermore, We request the decision be made for this ruling by two neutral third-party governments. Furthermore, the Matriarchy hereby accuses Shosho Hanako of violation of "Yamataian Criminal Law 5.6".

Furthermore, the convicts aboard the YSS Eucharis were convicted prior to the establishment of section 4.1 of the Yamataian code of law. According to section 1.2, laws regarding the freedom of the convicts are moot due to coverage not being retroactive.

At this time, We insist that the Eucharis is instructed to stand down and remain at its current location until a ruling can be made on this matter by third-party arbitration. Furthermore, if the Eucharis attempts to abscond, the Lorath Matriarchy will be forced to take further diplomatic action, while also conducting measures to ensure that the accused, Shosho Hanako, does not have the opportunity to remove evidence of her crimes. For this purpose, We will be forced to detain the Eucharis if an attempt to escape is made.

Regarding law 6.12: The persons in question are in YSE territory. The law says "It is a crime for any citizen or plebian to claim or maintain ownership of another sapient being. Non-citizens may only maintain ownership of their sapient property while in Imperial Space with the consent of the government, to be decided on a case-by-case basis" and you do not have our government's consent. This law establishes that slavery is illegal. Your point is invalid.

Regarding law 5.6: "Any person who wrongfully takes, obtains, or withholds any money, personal property, or article of value of any kind with intent permanently to deprive another person of the use and benefit of property or to appropriate it to his use (or the use of any person other than the owner) from the possession of the owner steals that property and is guilty of larceny (Proposal 35, Item 1) Doing the above, but for a temporary nature, is guilty of wrongful appropriation (Proposal 35, Item 2). Doing the above, but with violence or threat of violence, is guilty of robbery (Proposal 35, Item 3). " This law applies to property, not people. Your point is invalid.

Regarding Section 4: It applies currently and is valid.

Under Yamataian law:
1. The Yamatai Star Empire can grant Asylum to people from outside the Empire by the the Empress, the Mistress Taisho, or qualified persons meeting the requirements mentioned in section 1a. These people will have the same rights as Citizens, sans the ability to vote or propose law.

1a. In order to apply, or retain the ability to declare Asylum on behalf of the Empire as listed in this article the individual must have official approval from both the Empress, and the Mistress Taisho. Only individuals are eligible, and must be either: a ranking officer of Shosho or higher in the Star Army of Yamatai or leader of a clan that has previously been sanctioned by the Imperial Clan.

The Occhestian persons in question are hereby granted political asylum in the Yamatai Star Empire.

Do not attempt to detain the YSS Eucharis, or we will destroy your vessels. This is your final warning.

Dear Taisho;

The convicts are not in Imperial space, they are in an Imperial ship. Additionally, you are not your government, no matter how much of the PANTHEON system you inhabit. Our request stands, we wish a hearing for a legitimate decision, or, we wish to speak to someone who actually has decision making power within your government. Furthermore, if your government insists that granting asylum to a given individual or group of individuals is able to outright defy the laws of another sovereign nation, this will be noted for future negotiations and diplomatic discourse.

-Signed

PS: The universe is a stage, I hope you are ready to appease the audience through such audacity.

To: Ketsurui Yui, Velor 'Tomoe' Tur'listai

To the parties inclined,

This piss-wash ended up on my desk this morning, and I've taken this up with the PR Corps on how this situation should be handled. The Adjunct Commissar in charge has reported to me that due to past incidents of Yamatai barging in on our space without permission makes us an biased party on the issue. I have been asked by advisers in the Public Relations Corps to stay silent on the issue, because I'm diplomatically uninclined. Furthermore, responding to your message, Tur'listai, presents a accusatory image of my support of your side with previous facts.

Since I've already written the first paragraph, I'm not going to delete it, so here I go.

• Issue 1: Nepleslia does not believe in slavery, nor do they abide to a lot the Lorath do. Furthermore, we do not support the holding of slaves, and will not condone their return to just that. We will not consider beings of biological and semi-biological sentience as objects. Should it have the soul to fight for its beliefs, it's plenty its own person. The solution is that the Occahesti-- Occahma... The Occs leave with the representing party of the Yamataian Star Empire. Whether or not Yamatai's policy of ships acting as Yamataian territory in foreign lands hold, the Occs on board that ship have a right to life and liberty.

• Issue 2: Nepleslia does not condone military movement in its own territory, and sure as hell don't condone anyone who gets caught. You have something to do in our star system? You better phone us first. Of course the Lorath are going to hide their mines in their space, they're mines and they put them where people have no business going. If Yamatai has really breached Lorath space without permission, then they should be required to pay reparation to the government for their lack of respect to a sovereign nation.

That's my spiel on the subject. Nepleslia cannot mediate further unless both parties agree to it, but for the most part, that's all I really have on the matter.

Signed,
Sky Marshall Pyros Thrull Westwood
Premier of the Democratic Imperium of Nepleslia

RPG-D RPGfix
Back