• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

Low-Orbit (LO) Skydiving

Vesper

Inactive Member
Low-Orbit (LO) Skydiving:

A relatively recent development in the world of high-danger, high-excitement sports, LO Skydiving has become quite popular amongst the thrill seekers of many worlds. As its name implies, LO skydiving involves jumping from a height in low-orbit (generally around 80-120km on a Yamataian-type world) wearing a specially-designed extremely heat-resistant pressurized suit and free-falling to near the surface. A growing sub-group in the sport has started jumping from even higher (up to 145km reported) and using ceramic-coated reentry "boardsâ€

Terminal velocity for humans is low enough that you shouldn't need to worry about burning up in re-entry. At least, for Earth-like gravities. (Maybe high-grav jumps could be seen as extra extreme) I would think atmosphere (or lack therof) and LOW temperatures, especially when starting out, would be more of a problem. Though the 'surfboard' is a nice touch.

I'd also like to see what the usual penalty is if you get caught doing it through aerospace traffic zones. And is there an offical league for this sport?

Regardless of the technicalities, this is a nice submission. That said, you'd have to be absolutly mental to surf a re-entry from orbit. Gotta love adrenaline junkies sometimes XD

Reminds me of a sport I had Leutre passingly mention once. "Unguided orbital reentry." The first to reach the surface of a planet from high orbit, in a shuttle, is the winner -- the first to reach the surface without getting splattered across several square kilometers, of course.

Elias Metea: Hah! I was doing this when most of you were still raw biomatter!

...mind you, I was in a Hoplite at the time...

I remember hearing that a deleted scene from the begining of Star Trek: Generations has Kirk LO Skydiving. It has pictures in the novalization too.

Approved! (no need for the eval center on this one)

Atmosphere is less dense higher up so a human will have a higher terminal velocity because there is less slowing him down. Because he is moving faster, a greater heat is generated by the air running into him. Terminal velocity would also be increased by the weight of the equipment that the person is falling with.

I would assume that a pressure suit also covers all sorts of atmospheric problems involved in falling. I can't comment on traffic zones and an official league, after all that should be played out.

Friction is on both sides of the equation when using mass to determine terminal velocity, so it cancels out. Think of it this way: The thinner atmosphere does enable a higher terminal velocity, but it also reduces the total friction in the system, so less heat is generated.

This relationship is linear. However, mass of the planet vs. mass of the individual does effect the equation, because these values are exponential.

But I'm not really interested in getting into a physics battle, I'm much more interested in the flavor info.

It doesn't necessarily cancel out. Especially when you consider that while falling in a thin atmosphere you are going to keep building up speed, pushing you past the Terminal Velocity of yourself lower in the atmosphere.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back