• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

[LSDF-UMC] Shotgun Gatling

Umm, yeah. I'm just going to put it out and say it.

This idea relies too much on being AWESOME and not enough on being practical. There's absolutely no need nor practical use for it, and a standard pump action or semi-auto shotgun is better for what a shotgun traditionally does.

CONCEPTUALLY, it is the same, rapid, fire. Whether this is done with one barrel, or four, or more is nothing. You're still achieving the same end result, automatic rapid fire. In all honesty, there are worse things then this on the SARP. Weapon's technology even now could pull it off given proper experimentation. You realize there is a gun that can fire upwards to 16,000 rounds a minute now?

The link I showed is proof something like this is possible, while it maybe different, the principals can be applied, and used to form a weapon like this.

Actually, this isn't practical at all, and isn't really comparable to the AA-12.

The AA-12 is essentially a cross between an assault rifle and a shotgun. It's a manageable size for urban warfare (not much larger than a regular rifle), which is exactly what it's designed for. Pretty much, it's made for short to medium-range combat, especially CQC.

A gatling gun, on the other hand, is made solely to fill the air in front of it with flying molten death. While that's certainly enticing in CQC, there are several things that make a gatling weapon generally unsuitable for that particular type of warfare.

The first is size. There's a reason that submachine guns are still considered the kings of combat in closed quarters. They're small, they're light, and very maneuverable. While the AA-12 is without a doubt potent, and I'm certainly not an expert on the matter, I think even it's a bit large, all things considered.

This weapon is not only longer, but wider and heavier, and has a backpack thrown into the mix to make it even more inconvenient for the wearer in a tight spot. Since it's designed for a Fyunnen, I'd hope you're running a mission in a basilica instead of an office building. You'd be hardpressed to move through the area in anything approaching a timely fashion without a demolition team to accompany you and take out a fair number of walls and doors.

A second thing making a gatling gun bad for close quarters, and the reason almost all are mounted weapons, is weight. This figures in doubly so for this weapon. This type of thing is hard to swing around on your own, super strength or not. Taking into account that you're shooting nerimium bullets, I wish you good luck. 97 pounds is far too light for 2000 shells full of that stuff. There's a good reason Nepleslians put at most a thin coating on anything using Nerimium save their powered armor: It's really, really, really heavy.

Suffice to say, you wouldn't be able to use this thing in a city in any application save for fortification, and even then it will be limited to a small killbox that any marksman with a rifle could get rid of in record time. There's nothing else it can actually do. It's far too unwieldly for room-clearing, too short-ranged for fighting on an open battlefield, too weak to be of any use against powered armor, and too limited for use as a suppression weapon.

Sub is right on. Submission denied.

Reduced length
Altered ammunition to utilize nerimium coated ammunition
Added a listing of design features

Now, back to the issue. This weapon mostly is the same in spec to the https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=lo ... s_fountain

Yes, they're dominating and seemingly very cumbersome, however, the weapons are designed to be utilized by very strong individuals which can cope with the excess weight of the weapon. Along with that, Lorath combat tactics are very... heavy-handed.

Undoubtedly, in a combat setting, this weapon would be used to effectively reduce a home to rubble, clear large rooms of combatants and obstacles, and to lay down cover fire against infantry. No, this weapon is not going to be on the back of a soldier doing a swift run at a fortification, nor is it going to be carried through a dark cave in the middle of nowhere. I have battle rifles for that niche.

Also, yes, I do intend to mount this weapon on vehicles as well.

EDIT NOTE:

To hell with practicality, if I want to have my soldiers going into combat with rifles that fire twelve inch long and two inch wide lengths of lead which seek out nekovalkryja orifices, that is my business.

I do believe this was to be used by augmented individuals, meaning those with cybernetics, or genetic enhancements. Or wearing a strength enhancing suit. So, what is the problem here? It is 'clearly' no threat to anyone in a power armor. Shotguns have notoriously short ranges, and it is sufficiently nerfed to the point of keeping everyone happy and not threatend. If a person chose to use this weapon, and get killed over it, tough cookies for them, but is that reason enough to deny it? As I have said, there are worse things then this in a few nations armories. And evidently those are not a problem in regards to approval, or practicality, or feasibility.

Remember folks, you have your prototypes as far as weaponry goes, where field testing is done, to figure out improvements on a given platform. Maybe this was a first attempt, and later refines can be done to streamline it more, and make it an overall better weapon.

So, as a tech mod, I ask that this be re-reviewed, and given another chance, while it maybe cumbersome now, that does not mean later variants would be worse.

What Fly said. tbh, I suggest you meet the heavy.
You all shame and disappoint him.

And for what it's worth?

There is nothing practical about the F/A-22. With that price-tag, you simply can't afford to deploy it where it's actually designed to be used -- In an all-out war, it makes all of the difference for an augmented to pick one of these up and lay down hurt through the corridors of a starship or base, just like the F/A-22 would be deployed in an all-out war and live up to its reputation.

I think this is as much a political statement as it is a weapon.
The fire-power, size and the elegance and beauty of the brutality of the thing speak volumes about just how much the Lorath have "grown up" in the last year. "We're not children anymore - Leave us alone".
It's in their blood. This is the Fyunnen personified as a CQC weapon and she would wield it with grace, elegance and skill.
For anyone who disagrees in this regard, I'd like to bring up Sukhoi-JSC and their seemingly suicidal ignorance of stealth, worshiping maneuverability and lethality overall. It's the Russian mentality of war.

• For example:

• "то которое пробивает сперва убивает сперва и выдерживает"
      (Get him before he gets you. You will live longer and better for doing it.)

-Stanislav Stepashkin

Truly speaks volumes, doesn't it? Russian warfare in a nutshell.
Identities are being forged. Let the Lorath choose their words through actions.

Looks more like a glorified knife rather than a ranged weapon, and that's not a bad thing.

Maybe if people think of it in this light, they will see that it really isn't that bad a submission. It's not like this thing is any more lethal than any other melee-range weapons utilized by other nations.

I suggest this submission is brought forward for review.

If the administration choose to delete it, I suggest it be submitted again.

There is nothing wrong technically with this weapon and as I have said: It is what it is; and that is the whole point of it.

Even though I have been absent for a while and have little recent knowledge on the Lorath, but having read through the submission and following replies, I believe that we should stop reviewing the usefulness of the weapon and more the actual physical properties of it. Does it work? Is this weapon possible?

If so, seeing as its not going to be available to anyone except the faction controlled by the guy who submitted this, then no one needs to be shooting this idea down solely based on usefulness. If the weapon functions poorly in combat, then that should be RP'ed.

That is all.

LSDF/UMC 16 Gauge 00 Nerimum-Coated Lead Shot Round
For starters, I won't approve any ammunition based on Nerimium, Yamataium, or Zesuaium (except for maybe special penetration rounds for tanks).

Reluctantly approved.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back