Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

Approved Submission M5 Knight Powered Frame

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
You're seriously submitting this, named like that?

I mean, it was no secret to you that I was working on a power armor called "Kishi"... and you're purposely going ahead and submitting something named just the same.

I don't have anything against the Mecha's specs themselves. Only the name. Could you change it? I'm fairly certain you could find something more appropriate that'd also fit with Origin's naming scheme, which seems inspired from mythological creatures/deities.

I recall there being a discussion about this before where it was decided that naming them the same was no big deal. the M5 Kishi Frame is very different from the Kishi Power Armor, and they're made by different groups for different purposes. The likelihood of the things being seen together is also very low. I had also understood that you had stopped working on your Power armor prior to me Initially creating and naming this Mecha, which was done over two years ago, now.

As far as Origin's naming scheme goes, we don't actually have one. This frame's Contemporary is known as the Gekido, which translates to 'Fury' and has nothing to do with Mythology. I really like the Name Kishi, and believe it suits this Mecha very well, as it is supposed to be the higher-spec ace-special Mecha, like a Knight in Shining armor, if you will. I really can't think of a fitting name, and since Origin's Mecha in general are taking a vastly different direction from before, the old naming 'scheme' used by Fivemarks is no longer relevant.

Besides, in real life, there are a multitude of products which share names with one another, and while it may at times cause some mild confusion, is not a big deal in the end. And unless you actually plan to finish and use your armor soon, I find it kind of selfish of you to try and keep the name for something that might not see use unless it is finished soon.

Removed two of the sub-articles from the submission post- Apparently they had been approved in 2012 but had not had their tags removed.

Yes, Kai. You thought my project was going nowhere, decided you liked the name and took it for yourself. When I noticed, I assured you that my project was still an active work-in-progress and the answer you gave me was a rather unyielding "we'll see once one of us actually submits our project".

I didn't sit on my hands in the meantime - Doshii can probably attest to that. I had also secured approval from Yamatai's faction manager too on that.

Now that you're actually there, I was politely asking you to find your own name idea. Maybe that makes me selfish, but hey, I'm not the guy deciding to steal the name from another person's project because "cool name I couldn't come up with on my own, GET!" Swell, Andrew did something like this to me before, and now you.

Past this post, there's not much else I can do if this didn't compel you in respecting what I work on. My last hope then is that whomever will review this won't encourage your behavior.

This said, as far as specifications go, I don't find anything wrong with this submission. Were it not of the name, I'd encourage approval.

Would it sate you if I included that it is marketed as the 'Knight' Frame in Nepleslian markets? Just as the M3 has a 'Nepleslian' and a 'Yamataian' name (Fury and Gekido respectively), This one does too. I did however, neglect to add in details about the dual names for different markets. I still want it to be known as a Kishi in some capacity, as I like the name and, for clarification, decided on it independently at a time when I had forgotten about the development of your M15 Kishi Power armor. I would like to note that it helps people know you're still actively working on something if you do in fact put the information you have on the Wiki itself. I did not intend to insult you or 'steal' your name, and have no intention of asking of forcing you to change the name of your armor. There is, literally, no reason why both cannot be called the 'Kishi', especially since they are very different machines playing vastly different roles from different manufacturers.

I've gone in and edited the speeds after reviewing what its lower-end sibling, the M3 Gekido, was capable of. Mostly it's a modest increase over the Gekido's stats, to bring it more in-line with the low-volume ace unit it's intended to be.

I have changed the page and the name of the frame to the M5 'Knight'. Note that it is still noted as being called the 'Kishi' in some markets, but the primary name is now the 'Knight'.

Do note that the name "Knight" is already used by Origin Industries in one of its computer suites.

You may wish to look into a synonym, such as Cavalier, Templar, Champion or Paladin.

@Kai: Please fix the link in the OP.

This review is for: M5 Knight
The submitted article is/has…
[x] A very high level of overall quality
[x] A general topic sentence under the title header
[x] Artwork (Required for new species; Strongly recommended for vehicles and hand weapons)\\
[x] Needed and/or useful to the setting
[x] In the proper format/template
[x] Proofread for spelling and grammar
[x] Easy to read and understand (not a lengthy mass of technobabble)
[x] Wikified (terms that could be a link should be a link)
[x] No red and/or broken links
[x] Reasonably scientifically plausible
[x] Reasonably neutral point of view

The submitted article is/does not…
[x] Overpowered (or cutting tech for a faction with little or no roleplay)
[x] Obtusely redundant
[x] Contain copy pasta descriptions of systems or interior compartments
[x] Unauthorized by faction managers or player-controlled corporation
[x] Contain references to IC events that have not occurred (SM must authorize retcons)
[x] Use second-person language (“you” or “your”) unless it is an instructional guide aimed at players.
[x] Use bombastic language (“virtually immune,” “nearly indestructible,” “insanely powerful,” “horrible effects”)
[x] Use an unbalanced header/text ratio (many headers but sections are one-liners)
[x] Use major unapproved sub-articles that should be submitted separately
[x] Lacking Detail
[x] Images hosted on sites other than stararmy.com (Photobucket, Imageshack, etc are not allowed)

The article has…
[x] Speeds in compliance with the Starship Speed Standard, if applicable
[-] Damage Capacity and Damage Ratings in compliance with the DR Guidelines
[x] The in-character year of creation/manufacture. (Should be current year. Future years not allowed).
[x] The Standard Product Nomenclature System, if applicable.

Summary
Note here if any serious issues are present. These are the issues that will hold up approval.

** Short description of the issue. If a longer explanation is needed, put it in Notes.

Notes
This field is for any extra description needed for the issues stated above or (as the name suggests) and additional notes you wish to state in the record regarding the item.

There is a problem with the Mecha's Damage Rating data

The Mecha Scale caps out at 25 structure points. You have 28 this needs to be set to 25.

Your shields if this is a class 5 mecha should have a threshold of 5, you have it as a 3. This is not an issue it is perfectly acceptable to lower your threshold if you wish.

I intend to finish this review by: Complete BPM

Last edited by a moderator:
Edits have been made to bring it more in-line.

I would like to state, however, that in my opinion the DR system is currently incapable of meeting the demands required of it and lacks the flexibility that is needed in this setting. However, I suppose I must comply with it because we unfortunately have nothing better available (At least that can be agreed on, in any case. Better alternatives have been proposed but never agreed upon)

Hi Kai, As you said currently the DR system we have is just that what we have. It would be nice if we had a more robust one, but it always falls apart in discussion. But that is a discussion for another time.

APPROVED.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back