• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

MCAS Core Part High Speed Combat Core

Aluminum? More like non-existent armor. I dont think Aluminum would even stop non-PA personal weapons. I'll also wonder if it can withstand the stresses of travelling at those kinds of speed.

'Cept maybe the ESG

The aluminum is just the frame, not the armor.

Hmm, right then. You might want to clarify the wording in the article, since you did not mention what the armor is made of (An important factor in DR calculations!).

I edited my post between you reading mine and replying. I would also like to think that the frame also handles stresses impacted upon the armor (Like shockwave blasts and kinetic weapons).

(Other suggested lightweight materials: Carbon nanotubes or hollow durandium bars)

Fian said:
The aluminum is just the frame, not the armor.

Hmm, right then. You might want to clarify the wording in the article, since you did not mention what the armor is made of (An important factor in DR calculations!).

I edited my post between you reading mine and replying. I would also like to think that the frame also handles stresses impacted upon the armor (Like shockwave blasts and kinetic weapons).

Well, Aluminum is used in Modern day Jet fighters. i assume it can.

And the core units dont' really have much effect on the DR calculations, that's the Armor sets.

Remember, armor is only as strong as what it is mounted to, at least reallisticly.

For example, if one of my Winter PA were to grab the arms of this little bugger and pull, I can guarantee that there would be no more arms on the MCAS. However, if you like having light weight over survivability I suppose that could work.

An Unarmored Neko can fly at 70 MPH using it's personal antigravity. I would think a high-speed armor could go faster than 70KMPH with it's more powerful Antigravity system.

I would think 100+ MPH would be more accurate for what you want.

Titanium isn't stronger than aluminium but you can pack more of it in a small space and hence produce a denser material that deals with kinetic impacts far far better.

At equal density, titanium is actually quite soft and flexible like gold or copper - but when it's dense, this is one of it's greatest strengths: when hit, it vibrates and bends, then the atomic forces force it to return to it's original shape provided the applied force isn't stronger than the return force.

Evidence?

The primary truss of an F14 (the thing that holds and interlocks the wing assembly, engines and underside of nose) is made of high-density titanium. When they crash into the ground from huge heights or mountain sides, the truss is scratched but not bent or warped. They almost always salvaged them and re-used them because it was the most expensive part of the fighter.

It has problems with temperature gradients (expands/contracts, thus isn't well suited as an armor against energy based weapons or thermalkinetic/thermobaric warheads) but otherwise is ideal.

I had an idea for this in the shower this morning: What about adding an STL doubler for this? The Speed Standard Rules allow for timed speed boosts that double speeds. This seems like the perfect part to put it on. Think of the overboost from Armored Core 2 and 3.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back