• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

MDS-01 Squad Automatic Rifle

Abwehran Commander

Inactive Member
And yet another addition of Matthew designing for his future plot.

This time it's a Squad Automatic Weapon, but I've decided to call it a Squad Automatic Rifle or SAR for short. It's like a mobile .50 cal SAW since Abwehrans could carry such things.

Just some questions about the barrel:

You give an overall weapon length of 1m. How much of that is the barrel? How many rounds can you put through the barrel before having to change it? If this answer is finite, might I suggest a system for exchanging barrels, along the lines of the real-life M2 Quick Change Barrel (better photos here)?

That's the first time anyone has asked those questions about one of my infantry weapons.

Anyway, the Barrel itself is probably around 600mm and yes, it would be finite.

Technically all of the Mass-Driver weapons of Abwehr can been taken apart with ease for maintenance since there are very few moving parts to begin with. It is a railgun after all. All it really needs is a feeding mechanism and the superconductor rails can do all the work themselves.

But since the friction of the rounds would likely wear down the barrel, I guess they should replace the barrel in it more than other weapons. The weapon is made of high-grade titanium, so it would probably weather the beating better than just weapons grade steel. Because of that, the barrel could probably last ~2000 - 3000 rounds? Just a guess-timate.

Since Sean hasn't replied back, I'll be making a double post.

I've edited in the Barrel Length and added an Exchangeable Barrel feature to the weapon.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…