• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

[Mechanics] DR Page Update

Frown-chan

Inactive Member
https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=damage_rating

I'd like to see...

"The Damage Rating (DR) system is a guideline, not an absolute rule. Actual effects of weapons on ships and such are, in the end, based on the judgments of the Game Master."

Updated to...

"The Damage Rating (DR) system is a guideline, not an absolute rule. Actual effects of weapons on ships and such are, in the end, based on the judgments of the Game Master. For automatic weapons, the system is roughly aimed at effectiveness within a small time frame, 10 seconds or so depending on Game Master's interpretation."

For clarification. DR numbers are there as a guideline, not a rule, but they do provide the players with some idea of what sort of affects their weapons would have on an NPC mecha or whatever, and I was recently told that there is an unwritten rule that automatic weapons don't deal X amount of damage per shot (which would mean that in one post, for example, the HPAR would be able to blow up a ripper), but that it's more like "per post" (in which case the HPAR would barely scratch a Ripper's shields in a single turn)

Since that's not actually written anywhere, I think it would be best to put it in the DR page so that those misconceptions don't happen anymore. Thoughts?

You have my permission to make the above update. Thanks for helping improve the wiki.

Uh. Does this mean DR ratings are still required on a wiki page?

If that's still the case, then nothing has changed in the way we NTSE mods are going to review anything. At least, not so far as I can see.

Yes, DR stats will still be required. This is just a clarification for rate of fire.

I actually got a look at the page that caused the whole thing that prompted the change to the damage rating page and after some looking found that ADR and PDR and the others were not actually defined anywhere in the wiki.

So I was thinking I could either put them in brackets on the damage rating page next to their respective headers or I could make entries in the key phrases wiki and link them to the damage rating page as was done with the 'dr' page.

PDR, ADR and SDR are quite well defined. Personal Damage Rating, Armor Damage Rating, Starship Damage Rating.

lol, yes I realize that is what they mean but I mean no where is it actually said that is what they mean. I mean by all means please point me to a page or pages where it actually says it if I've missed it because its entirely possible I have missed it but still.

I mean yes, there on the damage rating page there is Personal Damage Rating, Armor Damage Rating, Starship Damage Rating, but nowhere does it actually say those actual phrases on the page. They are just implied by the use of the scales within the attack power section of the page.

Since we already have a DR page ( https://wiki.stararmy.com/doku.php?id=dr) then it would make sense to me to either see the other acronyms for DR done in the same way or actually stated in the damage rating page (easily with brackets right next to the respective damage scales I would think).

Again though if there is a page somewhere I've missed in my searching, and I've searched, that actually defines these acronyms then by all means I'll stop being the stupid noobie. If not though perhaps this little addition will proven confusion in the future with new people who arrive.

Actually we try to avoid making redirect pages like that.

That said I have updated the page to include the acronym for each type of DR on the page under the appropriate section.

Thank you, Nash. It wasn't really a request for me at all, it was just one of those things I saw that could potentially confuse new players in the future.

Though looking at the page now, and I do not recall if its always been like that or not, I see SDR has its brackets next to its name in the ToS of that article but the other scales do not. Would we not either remove SDR to match suit or add ADR and PDR in brackets in the ToS?

I hate to be a pain in the ass for even pointing such little things out to begin with but...you know.

Actually was was an edit error, I tried something had failed, its been removed.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…