• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at stararmy@gmail.com or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy

Microwave Drive

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
๐ŸŒธ FM of Yamatai
๐ŸŽ–๏ธ Game Master
๐ŸŽจ Media Gallery

Source

Yeah, I read that. I found it interesting - certainly - but the application in this setting is minimal.

Zakalwe said:
Yeah, I read that. I found it interesting - certainly - but the application in this setting is minimal.

I disagree, as we are willing to use things that for now exist only in theory to give support to what technology we write here.

If we can base our SARP Ion Drives on present time Ion Drives that cant even lift a feather off the ground just yet, then we can make fying microwave ovens work in SARP.

It seems like an interesting idea...especially for stealth-based ships.

He leaves no exhaust, remember? It has no moving parts and is self contained...I see potential.

I played around with the idea for the Liberiex Mechanicus, but the thing is passive sailing (using natural solar radiation) is quite slow. Far too slow for the SA universe. The only reason I gave them to the Liberiex is because they're nomads. They don't have anywhere they need to be, so propulsion isn't a big issue for them. What this guy is proposing is a low powered but slow system designed for probes. Not much faster than passive sailing.

For 'active' sailing, you could achieve a significant speed with sails... but it would require the use of massive precision mirrors and an extremely powerful light/microwave beam. But anything that uses a laser/maser of that immense intensity would generate so much EM radiation it would hardly be stealthy. That's not including the bulky size of such a high powered system.

Unless the Yamatai could build some sort of cloaking device to hide the tremendous amounts of EM radiation that active sailing would require, you'd have to use passive sailing to remain hidden. But even trips across a solar system could take weeks or months with passive sailing. Moving that slow is never good for any sort of covert operation.

How about orbital beam projector stations around a star?

Stationary or ground-based lasers have also been thought effective... but once you start reaching interstellar distances, the size of mirror a ship needs will start reaching planet sizes. And those mirrors would still have to be extremely precise despite their overwhelming size. That's assuming you had a laser that can fire interstellar distances while still maintaining a high intensity. Microwaves are easier to manipulate than light, so maser-based systems wouldn't be as demanding in terms of mirrors. But due to their wavelength, they'd also have shorter range.

At the end of the day, pure sailcraft are implausible for covert operations based on what I've seen of SA's extreme technology level. However, it could still be used in conjunction with other ideas. For example, using a orbital laser/maser to give the sailcraft a big push in the direction of their target then let the craft move along on inertia. Natural solar radiation should be more than enough for maneuvering and course adjustments en route. This would allow the craft to reach it's objective with the high speeds of active sailing, but without all that EM radiation making you light up like a beacon on enemy sensors.

Then once the objective is complete, bugger out seperate form of propulsion (ie, hyperspace travel).

Instant replacement for RCS thrusters, correction thrusters and low yield engines (which are quite expensive).

Genius.

Perhaps this could be used to a degree as a lifting force for other systems.

Yes, as always, I'm thinking about that mysterious expansion on Air-Biking I never get around to.

I thought this would be about my microwave being able to take me to my parents' house and back, but... it wasn't.

It's still prety genius, as Osakan said!

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn moreโ€ฆ