• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 April 2024 is YE 46.3 in the RP.

Mining, Salvaging, and Piracy Regulation Discussion

Well, they should be implied I suppose, else a system would need to be implemented, and salvaged materials would sell for a range of prices anyway.

No offense meant to your character, 007. :) I did not intend "profiteer"'s negative connotations.

The Yamataian government and corporations trade via a prestige system. The government gives corporations access to the raw materials needed (mining rights, farm land, other corporation's products and services, etc.) in exchange for their products and services. The more your products and services are valued by the government, the more access to raw materials you get.

I'm guessing this is done so that Yamatai can keep very close tabs on what its corporations are up to, very much like a strict parent.

The KS is mostly used by the corporations and citizens. Corporations pay their employees services in KS. Citizens use the KS to pay for products and services.

Since the only product salvagers produce is, well, salvage, I don't think the government would want any of that. :p Best to sell it and pay the government a tax.

Do the salvagers pay taxes to Yamatai or the local government? Isn't it obvious? Both, of course. I have to pay income tax to both Uncle Sam and Lady California. Such is life. :) Of course, Yamatai might not ask for a tax, so the, um, "federal" tax rate might be 0.

Salvagers, like self-employed people in real life, should be responsible for keeping track of their income and paying the appropriate amount of tax. But really, SAINT is not gonna come after your character if he forgot to account for that coffee mug he salvaged. :D

A Yamataian IRS would be the coolest damn thing ever in the SARP. I would immediately become a part of it.

After all, the IRS is the most feared government institution of them all. Neh?

Kotori said:
Excuse me, IRS? Can you enlighten me to the meaning of the acronym?

Internal Revenue Service, the guys who come and collect your taxes when you fail to pay. They audit your ass, slap you with federal fines, and put you in jail. Even Al Capone could not evade the IRS.

Ah, thanks ^_^

But I think we already have that: wouldn't salvage be dealt with by the Star Army Logistics Command? (the one giving out free Type 28 10mm Pistols)

Or... they could hire some Lorath salvagers, due to Yamatai having no vessels geared for slavage. Meanwhile, the Lorath may have one handy. (Good reason for the donation of a shipyard. ;) )

All salvaged chrome eggs will be donated to the Star Army, for the war effort, yes? ^_^

Oh, salvage list and percentages for Ohara are done. Let me know if you need it in another format.

Space travel is a new phenomenon for the Ohara system, so there are relatively fewer things floating in space.

Ohara - Salvage

50% chance of:
Space dust (false positive on the sensors)

25% chance of:
Yamataian patrol ship, Ketsueki-class, Phodian crew (asks you for ID and salvage license)
- If you don't have both, then the patrol ship attempts to place you under arrest. If you resist, the patrol ship will fight/flee, depending on whose ship has superior firepower (most likely the Phods). In either case, they will call in Yamataian reinforcements (see Nozomi-class patrol ship below), who will arrive after five rounds of combat or five minutes of time, whichever comes first.
- If you have both, there is 40% chance they offer you food and water, enough for one meal. (You caught them at meal time.) The food is always fresh and delicious. Will ask you if you require assistance.

5% chance of:
Yamataian patrol ship, Nozomi-class, Neko crew (asks you for ID and salvage license)
- If you don't have both, then the patrol ship attempts to place you under arrest. If you resist, the patrol ship will attack you ruthlessly until you surrender (or die).
- If you have both, will ask you if you require assistance.

1% chance of:
Dirty food wrapper
Antimatter glob (dangerous!)
Pair of shorts
Plastic building brick
Lubricant (mechanical, not personal) in aerosol can
Electrical cabling, 5 meters long.
Two gallon water jug from escape pod or shuttle, full
Frozen food from a ship's galley
Survival kit
Gold necklace
Hydrogen cell (drained)
Environmental system components, including air cleaner
Water pump and filtration system
Oxygen canister
Generic datapad (repairable)
Various starship diagnostic tools
Handheld communicator/camera with photos and diary stored on it
Escape pod, unused
Damaged Phodian satellite (can be returned to Ohara Star Fortress for a hefty reward)
Something special (contact a Mod)

I'm going to assume that all characters who live the straight and narrow automatically have a license, and those that don't do not have a license? Or must you GET one? No license system is currently implemented.

Also, I highly doubt 50% of the items would be a false positive with the technology available, and even if that wasn't the case, 50% space dust would make the place notorius for being a bad place to salvage. I'm thinking more along the lines of 10-20%, combined with your 30% chance of being stopped alone would be enough. Still, it's a good start, and Wes has the final word (and technically you could tell me to implement it anyway, as an admin). I say it needs about 30-40 more items though, be they good, mediorce, or crap.

I'm not trying to overlynitpick though, you have NO IDEA how much the list is appriciated. There's been interest, but almost no help from the players, save a select few who have advised, thus far where lists are concerned. (Tomoe deserves a lot of credit though, especially for the Lorath list.)

Also, is this a proper cross-section of the Phod race in general? I ask because the program is now arranged by race, which are set into places which the races have lost stuff. if this is Ohara only, I can still work with that, though a Phod race list of debris would be nice (though more items to select from is prefered.)

Furthermore, it may be best to move any more discussion to the thread here: https://stararmy.com/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 7&start=20

That's the thread for the program and lists, and discussing it in this thread may derail the topic's discussion, which is important enough to the future set up of the salvage archetype to preserve.

The list is being revised.

For Ohara, at least, all legit salvagers may assume that they have a license. All pirates may assume that they don't have one. The license is basically a background check, to make sure that you don't have a serious criminal record, that you're not wanted for questioning in any Imperial systems, that you have a license to own and operate your salvage ship, and that you don't have too many traffic violations (I'm serious). A pirate will most likely fail on all four counts.

There is also a small processing fee, which is small enough to be negligible. Just abstract it out of your mind and pretend the license was free. :)

Bear in mind: license to salvage on Yamatai Star Empire territory is likely not the same as a permit to field restricted technology. The former is fairly easy to have, and can be kept with proper behavior. Retaining it with slightly improper behavior might entail fines.

Permits for military technology, however, would probably be hard to earn and very much deserved.

That's agreed, and could be the dividing line between a salvager and a privateer: A Salvager, when they obtain a restricted item and knowthat it's restricted, they do what the law says. A Privateer keeps it. ^^*

MM007 said:
1. How much would a 10m by 10m by 10m space cost on Yamatai (or a satellite/starbase near it)? Tomoe suggests 500KS down, 50KS monthly.

2. Now that both the Mishhu and Yamatai lists are made, I need to know the ratioes for the planets at which they've fought.

(A ratio is a comparison of how much debris comes from one race in relation to another, and can be inversely related to who won the battle and by how much, or who simply did the most damage and by how much. The loser tends to leave more debris, and has a higher ratio point. For the purposes of this program, all ratioes add up to 12.)

I have:
Lor at 5/5/2 (Lorath, Mishhu, Yamatai),
Xyainbor at 6/6 (Mishhu, Yamatai)
Mwigflukbajik at 6/6 (Mishhu, Yamatai)

I've been told to hold off on Murf, because that ration (estimated to be currently 8/4, Yamatai, Mishhu) may change soon.

What other planets have they fought at, and what are the ratioes, or who won by how much? Decisive, Critical, or roughly even?

I've heard Tami had SA and possibly SMX losses, Albini and Hoshi no Iori were also battle sites, and I need the ratioes for them too.

3. Any more ratioes you can think of from any conflict between any forces would be quite useful. Even if I can somehow get the lists, I need someone who has a general knowledge of past battle and the state of the universe to get ratioes.

That's all I can think of right now...

The figures on a storage place may vary widely depending on location, security, and if nodal systems control temperature and humidity rather than other systems. That means that what the going rate is OOCly may nottranslate into the rate ICly.

Perhaps a good place to start is with FM. I noticed Elisa pays 100KS per year for a "large storage locker". How many cubic meters of space does she have? Perhaps we can use that as a start, at least as a cost of space on Yamatai, as it has already been implemented.

I don't know, that's mostly clothes and furniture. I came up with that on the spot, OK? Convenient excuse for why I don't have much stuff on my character when I logically should.

RPG-D RPGfix
Back