• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP Mission 14 Side Story: Pasts and Futures

Wes

Founder & Admin
Staff Member
🌸 FM of Yamatai
🎖️ Game Master
🎨 Media Gallery
RP Date
YE 46.4
RP Location
YSS Resurgence
YE 46.4

Poppy looked down at her data pad, still breathing heavily from the run. "That's good, Mineko! You were 15 seconds faster this time!" She wiped her forehead with a towel and brushed her pink hair out of her eyes. "Alright, let's get cleaned up." In a moment, they were in the echoing confines of the ship's shower.

Poppy made small talk while they scrubbed off. "So you don't have a clan name, does that make you solo?" she asked. "No family?"

Carefully swiping along the parts of body that didn't often get enough scrubbing, like the shins and back of the arms, Mineko was faced away from Poppy. But when the doctor asked her about family, Mineko looked over her shoulder to gauge her expression out of habit. Mineko's gaze fell to the wild tattoo on Poppy's belly and a modest blush flared on her cheeks.

"Makes me solo, as you would say. My family was likely killed when Kuvexians stole ST data at the Battle of Nataria—at least my immediate family like my mother." Mineko answered the difficult question with a smile.

Poppy briefly grinned a little at Mineko's blushing, which she found to be cute, but it was a serious topic so it was fleeting. Curious, she asked, "You were born naturally, rather than printed like most Nekovalkyrja. Second Generation Nekovalkyrja are always interesting, because they're the only Nekovalkyrja without the typical programming packages - these days Nekovalkyrja have a short of synthetic growing up experience so they can come out as adults, but you had to find your own way in the universe, right? When you were little, who raised you? Was there a dad in the picture?" the doctor asked, putting a huge wad of shampoo into her hair and lathering it up vigorously until there were giant pleasant-smelling blobs of white suds on her head like a birthday party cupcake.

"There were some really amazing teachers and caregivers in Tsubomi," Mineko replied warmly. "You certainly sound like an outside observer when it comes to the Neko, though. You're very scientific in your assessments, it's funny." She had kept rubbing behind her arm with the loofah, thinking on what Poppy had asked and how much of it were things that didn't normally come up in day-to-day conversations. Even with Erika, she rarely went into these things—perhaps Erika already knew, though. The idea of a father made her smile as she wondered if Minkan were really so different than Neko that Poppy thought a potential second parent would be a man and not another Nekovalkyrja woman.

"I grew up the traditional way starting as a baby, in a well-off family living in Tania. I was always really curious about the body and studying things and I did as much as I could to learn all I could growing up. Not just humans, either. I was always collecting some sort of animals I found as impromptu pets, observing the koi in the koi pond, or playing doctor long before I was licensed to do so," she chuckled. "Anyway, dad was a surgeon and mom was a biologist working for PNUgen and they gave me plenty to see and I wanted to know it all. Nekovalkyrja have always been interesting to me precisely because they're humans' attempt to build a better human, and to do that you have to really understand a lot of why people are what they are."

"The whole picture of Poppy is starting to make a little more sense," Mineko said, glancing back again to take in the sudsy tower on top of the medic. She giggled, then asked, "What were some of your first postings like?"

"First postings? I joined up in YE 39 and went to basic at Fort Victory and graduated right before YE 40. I spent a year in Kyoto in the MDK (OOC: Military District of Kyoto) training at the hospital and then in YE 43.2 I got stationed at the Nataria Fleet Depot where I met Gabriela. We vacationed together and then we both got Glimmergold assignments for ships to fill out the ranks for the big battle. That's when I met some of the original Resurgence crew for the first time when we were on our way and stopped in Ternifac," Poppy explained.

(OOC: 1-on-1 JP by Wes and Ame, hopefully to be continued)

"But what was it like?" Mineko reiterated, hoping to get at something she didn't know about Poppy rather than the stuff on paper. "Fleet Depot was definitely boring compared to the Resurgence, no doubt. Was it still hard being away from your family and hometown? Is it when you got that, uh... Wait, is that placement a tramp stamp or a womb marker? Tattoos aren't my forte."

Mineko pulled at the towel nearby as her other hand worked the shower nozzle and she quickly wrapped it around her body and turned to Poppy as she tucked the towel's corner into the place just in front of her left boob. The Neko bent forward and shook out her hair, combing her hands through the long strands before twisting it all together and further spiraling it into a large bun that sat precariously on the crown of her head.

"Well, I am pretty close to my family, and I do miss them, especially when I first set out on my own, but I always knew that I needed to be able to work on my own if needed. Kyoto was exciting because I was always learning something and it's pretty busy and there's constant stream of people coming in. Then there was the nightlife. I started going to the Pulsing Pearl and had a lot of fun meeting people. I got the tattoo in club, actually. You could call it a pelvic tattoo. Someone wrote it on me while I was..." Poppy trailed off, narrowing her eyes a little. "I'm not sure how much detail you want me to go into here," she laughed. "Let's just say there was pleasure and pain at the same time." Poppy rinsed her hair and began vigorously scrubbing her skin with a loofa, starting with her armpits.

"So then," Poppy continued, "I went to Nataria and the dynamic is a lot different, but basically you have endless numbers of bored, immature Nekovalkyrja looking for something to do, which can result in hilarious moments but sometimes I felt like the parent in the room because I grew up in family and they grew up in an MMORPG world, so to speak. No offense intended! I was lucky to make a friend along the way. Gabriela is incredibly smart and that's something I find very attractive...in a platonic way. We've been best friends ever since. She recommended me for the Resurgence so we could keep working together."

"I don't take offense," Mineko said. "Remember, I didn't get any of that initial training. I may not have had a typical family, but I still grew up a lot slower than your average Neko." She began drying her hair with another towerl as she spoke. "I always assumed you two were... you know. Honestly, I kind of assumed you and a few of the girls on Resurgence were together."

"I'm technically single," Poppy laughed. "Gabriela aren't lovers if that's what you mean. She's a bit of a..." the pink-haired woman tapped her finger on her chin, "ascetic?" She doesn't drink and doesn't seek out sex. She doesn't even drink coffee. As for fun, I was staying with Euikoshi and Pidole and Cassie in the same cabin for a while and it was nuts in there. Euikoshi was always instigating something lewd," she laughed.

"Is it too far to say you're a bit of opposites, then?" Mineko asked. "They do attract, after all. Even if in a platonic way."

"Maybe. We're both very driven professionals in careers that require a lot of education, using our skills to solve problems. But her realm is astrophysics and mine is the body."

"Then in personal matters alone, you're a bit of opposites." Mineko corrected.

"Perhaps. I don't think she's even looking for someone, she wants to focus on her duty and becoming a ship captain. Ironically we've seen others get set for first officer training and she hasn't yet because she's so good at her current role. The Star Army values navigators so highly because they're uncommon and precious so PERSCOM is stingy about changing their MOS to something else. But I'm already where I want to be, which is on the ship making things happen. After this it would be hard to go back to a routine hospital setting. I want to stay out here in the field on ships going to new places."

"We certainly go through a lot on Resurgence, there's always something happening." Mineko nodded, beginning to braid her hair now that it was more dry. "It's been tough seeing some of the bridge crew rotate out so I am happy to know Gabriela is there to stay for the time."

"Yeah," Poppy nodded. "Plus I would miss her so much. She's so insightful! I could talk to her for hours and I do! She grabbed her razor and gave herself a little touchup here and there. Once she was done she grabbed her towel and looked at her fingernails with those distinctively vivid green eyes. "What about you? Are you sticking around for the long haul?"

Having a question directed at her after learning so much about Poppy and her friends took Mineko by surprise and she tilted her head as she finished up her second braid, taking a moment to think.

"Thankfully there are additional missions I can take on outside of what is required of me here. Sometimes it feels like I'm not doing much to really make an impact and those help me feel fulfilled. But if I were to leave, I'd worry about who's protecting Aoba!" Mineko said with a lightness to her tone on the last statement. "I would feel like I was shirking some responsibility."

"You know, that's something I didn't mention," Poppy said. "I have a good relationship with the captain that I don't want to leave either. He stuck up for me when there were accusations about me after the Mia incident, and he has always shown me nothing but trust and a sort of quiet understanding and faith in my abilities. I like him because he lets the crew figure out problems and trusts us to bring results without trying to tell us how to do our jobs. Also there's something interesting about the way he has this stone exterior. If I kissed him he probably wouldn't even smile, he'd just say, "Hmm," and go about his business.

Mineko's purple brows shot up into her damp bangs and she covered her face with her hands at what Poppy said, suppressing the laughter that was rising up in her throat.

Poppy dried off her huge fluff of pink hair as best she could. "Do you want me to do your nails?" she offered.

Still trying to get the mental image of Poppy kissing Aoba out of her head, Mineko replied honestly, "I don't know."

"Hey, it was only theoretical, I'm not going to immediately go test the hypothesis like Euikoshi would want," Poppy laughed. "I'm sure he's grateful to you for that time you saved him from the Mishhuvurthyar and all the work you've done on the ship, even if he stays cool about it. Since you're the one with the intelligence, I'm sure you also have his ear for advice on missions and where to take the ship as well."

Poppy finished drying off and wrapped a towel around her torso, "I don't know if it gets easier or harder from here but at least I have people I trust at my side. That means a lot."

"I feel lucky to be able to say the same," Mineko said, thinking of Aoba and Erika.

(OOC: JP by Wes and Ame)

RPG-D RPGfix
Back