• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 May and June 2024 are YE 46.4 in the RP.

RP: YSS Celia Mission 1E: [Ohara] First Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yangfan

Inactive Member
Yangfan

After a while, the pilots of the two shuttles could clearly see their destination: a large island off the temperate northern coast of the main continent. The island was fairly flat, with only a small, low mountain with gentle slopes at the center of the island. The mountain and the rest of the island were adorned with small forests and endless stretches of grassy meadows. One port city, which was surrounded by large fields of crops, sat upon the island's southern coast, looking across the straight to the main continent. A small airfield lied some distance west of the city, down the coast.

"Taisho," Celia's voice came over the comm. system again. "We have received another message. The aliens request that you land at the island's airfield. It appears that they knew we would investigate the homing signal, sir."

Henry sighed. "We have to give them the benefit of doubt. Team Bravo, go to low altitude on top of the airfield and check things out for us."

As Wikkedson's shuttle drew closer to the airfield, he could see that a large crowd of strange-looking pig-like creatures had gather below. A large, roughly circular area directly below them had been cordoned off with ropes, and several of the aliens who stood near the perimeter were busily shoving anyone who ventured inside the circle, back out. The area that had been cleared was more than enough space for the two shuttles to land. Wikkedson could also see that the crowd was waving signs and banners, although he could not decipher the alien writing upon them. He could also hear the crowd's jubilant chant in their native tongue.

Most of the aliens appeared unarmed, although those guarding the perimeter of the landing site appeared to be carrying pistols in their black holsters.

Upon closer inspection, Wikkedson began recognizing crude English writing on a few of the signs:

"W3l_ku/\/\!!1!"

"Plz d|_|/\/T aBd|_|ck ME"

"make yur elves at homme"

"Bu/\/ZAIII!!!"

"FReya 12:11"

It appeared that this would not be the first contact between humans and the Phods of Ohara.

Wes

Shuttles with windows were rather rare among KFY-made craft in Star Army usage, but being able to look out the side was something Wikkedson could learn to like. Perhaps more of these variant shuttles could be ordered, he mused. After the shuttle had landed, Wikkedson shimmied out of the modified shuttle along with the other security types, and rose to his full eight of about eleven feet, towering over the Phods. Maybe a stony gray giant wasn't the best crewman to send, he chuckled to himself under his breath.

Yangfan

The crowd didn’t seem at all fazed by Wikkedson’s appearance. In fact, some of the Phods began cheering even more loudly as the red-and-blue-clad security personnel began emerging from the shuttles. A few of the Phods guarding the perimeter of the landing site glanced nervously at the giant troll and his almost-as-intimidating associates, but none reached for their weapons.

It was a beautiful, warm, and very sunny day. The human members of the security personnel might have to squint a bit in order to see clearly.

Scanning the crowd, Wikkedson could see that most of the Phods wore very few articles of clothing, just enough for modesty’s sake. One of the Phods standing inside the perimeter, however, was dressed somewhat more elaborately than the rest of the crowd. In addition to a long green skirt, the Phod in question wore three green armbands on each of its wing-like arms. A necklace of fresh, leafy vines rests upon its chest.

Team Alpha’s shuttle was still a few dozen feet high in the air. Standing behind the pilot’s seat, Henry could observe via the shuttle’s visual sensors that the security crew was being given a warm welcome. “Everything looks fine so far… Taii Kamitaka…” He addressed the pilot, pointing at an unoccupied area in the circular landing zone. “Set the shuttle down there, nice and easy.”

Meanwhile, on the other side of the airfield, two small civilian helicopters landed almost simultaneously. From one emerged Han Odonso, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Lage Republic, as well as his two burly bodyguards. Odonso wore light gray shorts, a red necktie, and a simple red armband. From the other emerged Tike Biloo, the Secretary of State of the Haton Federation. Biloo wore white shorts, a gold necklace, and a large, silken, blue armband with various symbols emblazoned upon it. Two equally burly bodyguards followed behind Biloo. The two important-looking Phods greeted each other in their alien language, and then both turned to examine the large crowd that had gathered at about 100 yards away. Exchanging a few more words, the two began walking toward the crowd, with their bodyguards only a few steps behind them.

Tyler

Ryoko giggled, "I imagine they're pretty thrilled to see us or something..." She said. "I just hope things don't get crazy."

Yangfan

Henry's shuttle quietly touched down on an empty area inside the landing zone, next to several of the security personnel. He squinted as the shuttle's hatch opened and bright sunlight reflected off of the paved ground outside and into his eyes.

"Your cloak, sir?" asked Shina as she held out the black garment to him.

"No thanks," replied Henry, as the warm air outside slowly crept inside the shuttle and embraced him. "Looks like I won't be needing it."

As Henry stepped out of the shuttle and onto Ohara, he scanned the crowd that had gathered around the landing zone, suddenly at a loss on what to do.

What was the proper protocol again? Take me to your leader? That can't be right…

And why the heck was there bastardized English on the signs? Perhaps it would have something to do with the crashed merchant ship?

First things first: He would probably need his translator.

"Shosa Hayasaka?" he asked, as his subordinates filed out of the shuttle after him.

"Yes, sir?" replied Yuri, who stood outside the shuttle along with Ryoko, Motoyama, Kaya, Shina, and Meemeel. Nitô Heisho Isen Kelsey was among the security personnel, and would soon become a member of the Big Guys, although she did not know this yet, and in any case, hardly looked the part.

"Your assignment was to familiarize yourself with the Phodian language. I trust you have made progress?" Henry asked.

"Of course, sir," replied Yuri.

"Good," said Henry, as he spotted the female Phod wearing the long green skirt. At least, he guessed that Phod was female. "She… looks like a good place to start. Everyone in Team Alpha, follow me."

As Henry began walking toward the Phod, his small entourage had the desired effect: The Phod immediately noticed him, and, guessing that he was in charge, began walking toward him as well, meeting him at some distance inside the cordoned-off circle.

"Yuri, tell her that I bring…" Henry began to say.

"I can understand you just fine, sir," said the Phod in impeccable English.

Tyler

Ryoko looked over the Phods curiously as she stepped off the shuttle, her eyes quickly adjusting to the new light levels. She found the signs rather amusing and couldn't help but snicker slightly upon seeing them. The purple-haired Neko was shocked to hear the flying pigs... speaking English? Then she giggled girlishly and smiled. "Well if you can understand English..." she muttered, "then hello there we're representatives of the Yamatai Star Empire. Err...we come in peace?" Ryoko said, albeit out of turn but she was still getting used to the all the protocol and whatnot of the military.

Yangfan

As the Phod in front of Henry began speaking, the roaring crowd around them gradually became quiet. All of the pig-like creatures now watched the proceedings silently. Reverence was in their eyes. All of them knew that, for good or for ill, the destiny of the planet has been changed forever.

Henry quickly glanced at Ryoko with an awkward smile. He really should have admonished his subordinate for speaking out of turn, especially in such a diplomatically delicate situation. He decided to not to, however, as Ryoko might have a mental breakdown right then and there. Which only would have exacerbated the situation, of course.

"Um, yes… Well, Yuri, I guess I made you do all that work for nothing…" he said.

Yuri shrugged, and said nothing.

The Phod smiled. It was a gentle, good-natured smile. "Your style of clothing, your servants, and even the name of your Empire… all have strangely changed, my good sir. But this old Phod's eyes still persevere for the moment, thank Freya, and I can still recognize a mortal kin of the Goddess when I see one." She bowed deeply. "Allow me to introduce myself. I am Mina Ottoson, Head Priestess of the Order of Freya, and Regent of the Free City State of Everspring."

"Greetings, your Excellency," replied Henry. "My name is Henry Chen. I am the fleet admiral of the Third Expeditionary Fleet of the Yamatai Star Empire. Please know that those around me are the officers and soldiers under my command, and not my servants."

"Ah, my apologies, Admiral Chen." Mina bowed again. "And please call me Mina. I am but a humble servant of my people."

"Of course… Mina. Um, forgive me, but how come you know how to speak English?"

"There is nothing to forgive, Admiral Chen. It is a long story, and I am sure that you have many more questions. I am afraid that I am just an old Phod who tend to ramble on about trivial things, but I will attempt to satisfy your questions the best I can, in the mean time…"

With the help of their bodyguards, Han Odonso and Tike Biloo had pushed and shoved their way inside the cordoned-off circle. The Phods guarding the perimeter saluted to them as they went past. Han and Tike now stood timidly behind Mina, looking at Henry as if he was some mythical beast that was spoken of only in legends and fairy tales.

"Ah, I see that the representatives of the major powers have arrived," said Mina. "Admiral Chen, it is my pleasure to introduce to you Tike Biloo, the Secretary of State of the Haton Federation, and Han Odonso, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Lage Republic."

"Greetings. The pleasure is mine," said Henry to the two Phods.

Tike managed a slight nod to Henry. Han just stood there and gave out a whimper.

"They seem… nervous," observed Henry.

"Do forgive them, Admiral Chen," said Mina. "They do not understand your language. There is also the fact that neither of them believed that the humans would ever be able to visit this planet again, not until today, at least." There was a hint of triumph in her voice, as if she had been proven right.

"I see…" said Henry, more confused than ever.

"As I was saying, Admiral Chen, I will answer your questions the best I can. But the day grows hot. Please join the representatives and me under the shade of Heroes' Grove, which is just over those hills behind us. The weather will be more tolerable there. The location is also a more fitting place to tell my story to you, which will, I believe, answer most of the questions that you may have."

"Of course, Mina," answered Henry. "There is just one more thing. My crew had detected a homing signal coming from a structure inside your city, and I was wondering if we could examine the building."

"Ah, you know of the Unicorn, the ship that once belonged to our Goddess. That is why you have come, yes? I can arrange for transportation to the city for you and your warriors, although I doubt that we will be able to accommodate some of your more…" Mina glanced at Wikkedson, "um, muscular soldiers. In any case, the trip to the city will take a while, and I am eager to begin my story, preferably under the shade of trees and not inside a stuffy automobile. But if you really wish to see the ship immediately, Admiral Chen, I shall not object."

"Perhaps some of my officers and soldiers would be willing to endure the stuffy car ride in my place," replied Henry with a smile. "I will go with you to Heroes' Grove, along with some of my officers and my more 'muscular' soldiers. The rest will pay a visit to your city and to the ship of your Goddess… Would that arrangement be satisfactory, Mina?"

Mina bowed once again. "But of course, my good sir. Anything for a mortal kin of our Goddess."

Henry nodded slowly, hoping that he would get some answers about Mina's cryptic words soon. He turned to his subordinates. "Any volunteers?"

Tyler

Ryoko caught the momentary unease in Henry after he spoke but didn't get tripped up in it. When the choice was offered she looked to Yuri then Henry. "I'm curious to see the Unicorn." she said.

Yangfan

Yuri glanced at Ryoko. "I should go with her. She's my responsibility."

Motoyama stepped forward. "I will go with them, sir."

Henry nodded. "Good." He turned to the technical sentries. "Kelsey, Kaori, and Kaede, watch their backs. Shina, Meemeel, Ittô Heisho Wikkedson, Thrashnog, Svars, you're with me."

"What about Nitô Heisho Tangozulu and me, sir?" asked Kaya.

Henry smiled. "Stay here and guard the shuttles. Oh, and no napping on the job."

"Shall we go, Admiral Chen?" asked Mina.

"Of course, lead the way," replied Henry with a politely smile.

The Phods guarding the perimeter began pushing a path through the crowd. It was now an easy task, as most of the Phods were now staring at the scene with awe, and yielded to Mina's guards without much resistance.

As Henry and Mina began walking away, followed by Shina, Meemeel, and three very large trolls, the gathered crowd began to disperse. Some followed behind them at a respectful distance, some left to go about their own business, while the rest stayed and stared at the shuttles. Mina's guards remained to keep them from getting too close to the shuttles.

Soon, a small limousine and a jeep had driven up to the thinning crowd, as per Mina's directions. Again, Mina's guards pushed a path through the Phods that had stayed. Yuri, Ryoko, and Motoyama climbed into the limo, while their three Neko bodyguards got into the jeep. The Phods sitting in the driver's seats of the two cars seemed relatively composed, and smiled politely under their gaze.

When everyone had settled into their seats, the two cars drove off the airfield, and onto the highway that led to the City of Everspring.

Tyler

Ryoko sat across from Yuri as they rode to Everspring and looked her over smiling slightly. She considered her attractive and even thought about flirting with her but now wasn't the time. "You don't have to treat me like I'm a child." She said quietly. But spoke up . "This should be interesting."

Yangfan

"Hmm. Perhaps," replied Yuri, her face expressionless. "Just be careful when we get there. Inspecting old starships can be sometimes… hazardous…"

Motoyama sat two seats away from Ryoko. He remained silent.

The air inside the limousine was actually quite cool. The driver had set the air conditioner to maximum power, hoping to make his passengers comfortable.

Outside the car windows, the scenery slowed changed from that of a tranquil countryside to that of a bustling town…

Meanwhile, at Heroes' Grove:

Henry and Mina were walking around a hill, at about 100 yards away from the airfield, followed by their guards and curious onlookers. The day was hot. Henry was visibly sweating, and occasionally wiping his brow with a handkerchief.

Suddenly, a large grove of trees appeared behind the hill. Henry soon found himself standing under their shade. The air was cool and calm. The ground was covered with green grass.

"This… this is a cemetery," said Henry, looking at the ring of headstones in the middle of the shaded grove.

Mina nodded. "Here lies the crew of the Unicorn. This is sacred ground to my people, Admiral Chen. But please, have a seat anywhere you want. I do believe that I owe you a story." And with those words, Mina stepped inside the ring of headstones, and sat upon the ground in the center of the ring.

Henry followed, gesturing at Shina and Meemeel to stay close. The three trolls remained standing outside of the ring of headstones.

Mina's guards were walking about, making sure that no one got too close to the Star Army personnel. They didn't have much trouble. While the onlookers who followed them quickly scrambled inside the shade, none of them seemed too eager to get close to the menacing trolls.

Tike and Han, the representatives of the two major powers, decided to remain outside the ring of headstones, along with the rest of the Phodian onlookers. Their bodyguards did their best to shield them from the curious gaze of those near them.

When Henry, Shina, and Meemeel had sat down on the soft grass, one of Mina's attendants walked up, and handed each of them, as well as Mina, something wrapped in leaves.

Mina took the small package and partially unwrapped it, revealing a red frozen block of… food? In any case, Mina took a bite out of it and smiled. "it is a popsicle. Quite edible for humans, I assure you."

~Shina?~ A nervous thought was whispered from Henry's brain.

~Mina speaks the truth, sir.~ Replied Shina telepathically, while discreetly thumbing at the scanner in one of her pockets. ~We are each holding a popsicle made from an unknown fruit. The main ingredients are water, carbohydrates, and a variant of fructose. The leaf that it was wrapped in has been sterilized.~

Henry reluctantly followed Mina's example, partially unwrapping the popsicle that he was handed and taking a small bite. The frozen treat felt cold and sweet against his tongue. Henry could see that Mina's guards were also handing the leaf-wrapped popsicles to the trolls and the Phodian onlookers. It appeared that beating the heat was a constant struggle on this planet.

Letting the frozen treat melt inside his mouth, Henry scanned the headstones. Nepleslian names were inscribed on them all.

"Now, where was I?" asked Mina, mostly to herself. "Ah, yes, the story. About 150 years ago, on a day very much like today, a starship fell out of the sky and crashed on this island."

"The Unicorn," said Henry. Things were beginning to make sense.

Mina nodded. "A few of the crew were killed during impact, but most survived. The relationship between the alien survivors and the natives was understandably strained at first, seeing as the language barrier prevented any meaningful communication. But the natives were too awed by the few displays of human technology that they've seen to consider attacking the aliens. And the survivors knew that there were too many natives to deal with should hostilities break out. So, instead of taking the easy way out and killing each other, we took the effort, and learned enough of each other's language to eventually communicate… By the way, we were those natives, Admiral Chen. Or should I say, my ancestors were."

"I gathered that," replied Henry, smiling.

Mina continued. "The relationship proved to be very agreeable to both sides. The natives were taught the secrets to many wonderful human technologies, like vaccination, pasteurization, metallurgy, refrigeration, solar power, and electric motors, to name a few, as well as the sciences upon which they were based. Phodian scholars and scribes quickly spread the knowledge to the mainland. The survivors found themselves respected and revered as heroes."

Henry nodded. Around him lied the remains of the saviors of Ohara.

Mina smiled. One could tell that this was a story she enjoyed telling. "Many of the feudal lords of the mainland invited, nay, begged the Unicorn's surviving crew to go to the mainland. The lords attempted to lure them with promises of wealth, fame, status, and power. But the humans were wise. They were not interested in joining sides in the petty squabbles and skirmishes that occasionally broke out on the mainland during the Feudal Age. Besides, they already had wealth, fame, status, and power. Us Phods treated them as gods, and in many ways, they were. They had no reason to leave paradise… And here, they lived out their days."

"How long has it been since they died?" asked Henry.

"Oh, a very long time," replied Mina. "It has been 76 human-years since the last human, Dr. Andrew LeBow, passed away. He was 105, I believe. You mortal kin of Freya are famed for your longevity. Most Phods don't live past 20."

Sympathy was evident in Henry's one organic eye. But he still needed answers. "Why do you call humans the mortal kin of Freya?"

Meanwhile, in the City of Everspring…

"We're here!" cheerfully announced the driver of the limousine as it pulled up to a large, ornate building situated on one side of a large town square. The jeep slowly came to a stop behind the limo.

Just outside the limo, and up a short flight of marble stairs, was the entrance, where a very nervous Goz Jelvu, head curator of the Museum, stood. He was visibly nervous and sweating, and was fanning his face with his right wing.

Tyler

Ryoko was the first out of the limo when it stopped, once outside the vehicle she looked up at the ornate building, using a hand to shield her eyes as they adjusted to higher light levels. "Wow, it is beautiful." she whistled lowly. Then again she hadn't seen such ornateness in a long time....okay never as Nepleslia wasn't the most archeturally sound planet at least Funky City wasn't.

~I'll be careful, so don't worry about it.~ She told Yuri telepathically as she waited outside the car.

Yangfan

Yuri and Motoyama stepped off the limo after Ryoko. A few feet down the sidewalk, their three Neko bodyguards had disembarked from the jeep, and were walking toward them.

The town square was nearly deserted. There were a few Phods, however, walking underneath the shades of the trees planted at the edges of the square. Some of them had spotted the passengers of the limo and the jeep, and stared with curiosity.

Goz took a deep breath. "Welcome, honored guests, to the Museum."

Tyler

Ryoko stood off to the side for a moment as the other two got out of the vehicle, half wondering who would be the leader in this situation but it appeared that she was subconsciously selected to do it. When Goz spoke it yanked her out of her reverie, making the Neko look up at the Phod as he spoke.

"Thank you for your kind welcome good sir." Ryoko said as she looked up at the museum, taking in the architecture of the building. Other than that she really didn't know what else to do or say; her first time in lead position...oh well.

Yangfan

Yuri stood behind Ryoko with folded arms, content to let her do the talking, for now.

Goz nodded. "I have been ordered by the Head Priestess to give you a personal tour of the Museum, and to answer any questions that you may have, and to, um, assist in carrying out any, um, reasonable requests. I believe you are interested in the Unicorn? Anyway… please follow me."

And with those words, Goz pushed open the doors to the Museum and walked inside.

"The tech sentries and I should go in first, to make sure it is not a trap," said Motoyama.

Yuri gave a nod. Before Ryoko could say anything, Motoyama briskly walked up the stairs and entered the building. The Nishizaki twins were close behind him. Kelsey followed them up to the doors, and then looked back down at Yuri and Ryoko.

Yuri took out a scanner from one of her pockets, and turned to Ryoko.

"Let's go."

Meanwhile, at Heroes' Grove…

Mina looked at Henry, whose question lingered in the air between them. "What do you know about the captain of the Unicorn?"

"I didn't really pay attention to it, but I believe I have his bio somewhere in my files," replied Henry, taking out a datapad from one of his pockets.

Mina waited patiently as Henry pressed a few buttons on the pad. She smiled as she saw the look of amazement that appeared on his face.

"Freya…" murmured Henry.

Mina nodded. "Yes. Captain Freya O'Hara, of the merchant ship NSS Unicorn."

"That's impossible. Female Nepleslians were considered too endangered, even back then, for dangerous assignments," asserted Henry.

"I know of the genetic predisposition that your people is afflicted with, Admiral Chen, and of the cultural shackles that come with it. The Unicorn's crew had expressed on numerous occasions that their captain was one of a kind. I guess Nepleslia could not keep track of each and every woman, despite their small number."

"So she is the Goddess that you speak of… Your people even re-named your planet after her…" murmured Henry, realizing for the first time the depth of the impact that the Unicorn's crew had left on Phodian culture. "But why? Why do you consider her a goddess?"

"Because she still speaks to us to this day, Admiral Chen."

Henry stared at Mina with a raised eyebrow.

Mina laughed. "You don't have to believe me, Admiral Chen. I assure you, however, that Freya still speaks to the people of Ohara, via the Priests and Priestesses of the Order of Freya. In fact, early this morning, during my prayers, she told me that you were coming here."

Henry nodded. There was no use arguing over matters of religion, however strange as this particular one might be.

"Do you have anymore questions for me, Admiral Chen?"

"Yes. Do you know why I have come here?"

"You mean, besides the beacon satellite that we placed in orbit?" asked Mina.

"That's more of a 'how' than a 'why'."

"I see… In that case, I will go with curiosity. You knew sentient life existed on a planet that you did not know about, and you couldn't pass up the chance to see it for yourself."

"That's one of the reasons. The other is this: I have come to establish a treaty with this planet, on behalf of my government. Humanity's enemies are everywhere, Mina. We need every single ally we can get."

Mina nodded. "And the people of Ohara will serve Humanity down to the last Phod. However, I am but a humble Priestess, and this sounds more like a job for their Excellencies," she said, pointing a wing at Tike and Han, the two representatives of the two major powers on Ohara.

When they saw that Mina was gesturing for them to step forward, the two reluctantly walked up to Henry, who looked even less intimidating now that he had sat down.

"Here are the Empire's terms, your Excellencies," said Henry, as Shina stood up and handed a datapad to Tike and another to Han.

"I shall read it over, sir, and contact my superiors," whimpered Tike in a barely audible whisper. Han nodded vigorously in agreement.

"Take your time, Excellencies," replied Henry, his smile friendlier than ever.

Meanwhile, in the City of Everspring...

Tyler

Ryoko sighed and fell in behind Yuri, wondering why she had been thrust into the leadership position so suddenly. She remained quiet and produced a small tablet like datapad to write notes down on as they went inside.

~How did I end up as the team leader?~ she wondered and shook out of it. "Yes sir, the Unicorn is a point of great interest for us."

Yangfan

As Ryoko stepped inside, she saw that the inside of the building was indeed set up like a museum. Various pieces of human technology were arrayed along the walls in glass display cases. Small placards attached to the exhibits explained their applications. Most were the technological artifacts one would expect to find onboard, or salvaged from, an old Nepleslian spaceship: laptops, hand-held scanners, rifles, machine guns, and various other weapons, a large computer display screen, a cannon turret that must have been torn off the hull, etc.

"We are coming up to the Central Chamber now," said Goz.

The group walked into a massive chamber, which extended all the way up to the ceiling, about seven floors high. The chamber contained a single object: the hull of the NSS Unicorn.

The ship was a relatively small one for a merchant ship, only about 30 yards long on its longest side. It certainly had seen better days. Extensive fire and impact damage had been done to the outside surface of the hull, especially to the forward section. It appeared that the ship had barely survived the descent and the subsequent impact. It was amazing that her crew survived at all.

Yuri was busy with her scanner. "Mr. um… "

"Please, call me Goz."

"Goz. Do you know what energy source this ship had?" She had a worried look in her eyes.

"The ship had a fusion reactor as its main energy source, and a fission reactor as a backup," replied Goz. "Our scientists still don't understand how any of it works, you know. The crew did their best to explain them, but the tech gap was simply too great to overcome all those decades ago."

"May we inspect the inside of the ship?"

"Of course, madam," replied Goz, walking toward one of the open hatch doors. "it is quite safe. The passageways have been reinforced, post-crash. The whole ship is still structurally sound, even though it doesn't look like it from the outside."

"Take us to the fission reactor," said Yuri. "And call me Yuri."

"The reactor room is sealed off, Yuri, but I'll take you as close to it as I can."

As the group stepped inside of the ship, they could see that the passageways were lit with primitive tungsten light bulbs that obviously were added by the Phods. It appeared that the original human crew had already salvaged and removed anything that was removable.

Yuri, however, looked increasingly concerned.

"Here we are," said Goz, pointing to a large set of sliding doors that were closed shut. The words "DANGER, RADIATION HAZARD" were written on them. "The crew had warned my ancestors to never step inside that room. They said that anyone who did so would get very sick from something called 'radiation poisoning' and die. We've kept the doors sealed ever since."

"I'm not too thrilled about these radiation levels," said Yuri.

Goz looked concerned. "We're not in any danger, are we?"

Yuri shook her head. "We're fine. I wouldn't visit this section of the ship everyday though. Do you take tour groups here often, Goz?"

"No. There's not much demand for it. Most people come to the Museum to look at the cool gadgets." Goz looked relieved.

"Good. We should remove the reactor, just to be safe, though," asserted Yuri. "The containment chamber might develop a leak over time. That would be very dangerous. In the meantime, Goz, you should be examined by one of our medics. I assume you have been exposed to the radiation in this part of the ship more often than anyone else."

"I would be happy to be examined, Yuri, but we'll have to get permission from Her Worship if we want to remove the reactor," replied Goz. "And how do you plan on removing the reactor, exactly?"

Yuri looked at Ryoko, and then at the other Nekos. "Who still thinks they look good in a Lamia suit?"

Tyler

Ryoko looked at Yuri, her concern spreading to her too; as it was reflected on her face. "That much radiation is a big concern, as is the containment. I'm sorry but I really don't know too much about it off the top of my head. And I think we're a little large for the normal Lamia type suits. ." She added witha small grin.

Yangfan

Yuri looked embarrassed. "Sorry. I, ah, started out as a NH-12. I still think I'm 8 inches tall sometimes."

"Zuh?"

"it is a long story, Goz… Anyway, we need to get armored up," said Yuri, taking out a datapad.

Meanwhile, at Heroes' Grove:

Henry, along with Shina, Meemeel, and the trolls, stood at the edge of the grove. It was late afternoon. The heat outside was almost unbearable.

"I'm sorry I can't stay longer, Mina," said Henry. "But there's a big time zone difference between my ship and this local area. I really could use some rest."

"Thank you for visiting us, Admiral Chen," replied Mina, bowing low. "I am sure that the governments of Ohara will accept your Empire's terms."

Shina tapped Henry on the shoulder. "A message from Yuri, sir."

Henry took the datapad that Shina handed him. Yuri's face was displayed on the main window. "Yes?" Asked Henry.

"We've found an old fission reactor, sir. it is a health hazard to the natives. I'm requesting four Mindy armor suits so we could remove it," said Yuri.

"Understood," replied Henry. "I'm heading back to the ship now. The shuttle will be sent back down with the equipment… Hmm. I might need to send two."

"Also, we have a Mr. Jelvu here who could really use a check-up by our doctors."

"In that case, the second shuttle will pick him up. The two shuttles will bring the equipment back down."

"Of course, sir."

Henry nodded, and ended the transmission. He looked at his shuttle's landing site, far away in the distance, and frowned.

"Hot day today, isn’t it?" He asked.

"it is usually like this, Admiral Chen," replied Mina. "It’s good for the crops. Come, let's get you back to your craft, before you get heat stroke."

Henry sighed, and started walking back to the shuttle, followed by his attendants.

Meanwhile, in the City of Everspring…

"Kelsey, please escort Goz back to our ship," said Yuri.

Kelsey nodded. "Come along, Mr. Jelvu."

"Thank you for all your help, Yuri," said Goz as he turned to leave with Kelsey. "If you or your soldiers get hungry before your armors arrive, there's free ice cream at the food court on the second floor."

Yuri smiled a little, but her eyes remained emotionless. "Thank you for that valuable piece of information, Goz."

After Kelsey and Goz had left, Yuri turned to Ryoko, Motoyama, and the Nishizaki twins. "You guys can go get ice cream if you want. I'll stay here and monitor the radiation levels."

Tyler

Ryoko nodded to Yuri and turned to the others of their team. She paused and turned to the other Neko. "Alright then...you want anything while we're down there Hamasaki-kun." The violet-haired Neko asked her comrade.

Yangfan

Yuri shook her head. "None for me. Thanks."

"I'll stay here as well," said Motoyama.

A while later…

Ryoko and the Nishizakis were finishing their ice cream. Yuri was leaning against one side of the corridor. Motoyama stood at attention, and occasionally examined the surroundings.

Goz and Kelsey walked up to them. Kelsey carried a rack that had three Mindy armors fitted onto it on one shoulder, and a large, black, casket-shaped container on the other. The load must be quite heavy, as even Kelsey, a Nekovalkyrja, appeared to be burdened under the load.

"Doctor Roma gave me a clean bill of health," proudly announced Goz.

Kelsey set down the rack and the container with a grunt.

Tyler

Ryoko nodded to Goz and smiled a bit. "That's good to hear Mr. Goz, it means the radiation around here probably isn't as bad as we originally thought." she said and turned to Yuri. "Isn't that right?"

Yangfan

"Or maybe Phods are just naturally resistant to radiation," answered Yuri. "What have you got there, Kelsey?"

"Three Mindy suits, ma'am, and a containment chamber."

Yuri nodded, grabbing a helmet from the rack. "All right. Motoyama, Kaori, Kaede, stay here and stand guard. Ryoko, Kelsey, get suited up. We're going in."

"What do you want me to do, Yuri?" asked Goz.

"Please make sure none of your staff wanders near this area," said Yuri.

Tyler

"Yes ma'am" Ryoko said witha nod and grin and grabbed a helmet and went to get suited up as Yuri ordered. "I've never actually used one of this, oh well I'll probably get it when I get this thing on." she muttered.

Yangfan

"You won't need to operate the weapons," said Yuri, stepping into her Mindy suit. "This is just to protect us from the radiation."

While Ryoko and Kelsey finished getting into their armor suits, Yuri, fully armored, went up to the doors of the reactor room. She carefully examined the doors, and the switch next to the doors.

"Hmm. No power, of course," she said, fiddling with the door switch. "Ryoko, Kelsey, you guys ready?"

"Yes, ma'am," said the two Nekos.

"Okay. Everyone, stand back."

Yuri managed to slide her fingers into the crack between the doors. She pulled with all her strength. Slowly, the doors began to slide open. As soon as a large enough opening appeared, Yuri stepped inside the reactor room, taking the black containment chamber with her.

"Quick. Ryoko, Kelsey, get inside, and then close the doors behind you," ordered Yuri, panting.

"Yes, ma'am!"

The two Nekos followed Yuri inside the reactor room. The doors began to slide close again.

"Motoyama?"

"Yes, ma'am?"

"If we're not back in half an hour, inform Taisho Chen." And with those words, the doors slammed shut.

(OOC: To be continued in the next thread.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
RPG-D RPGfix
Back