Star Army

Star ArmyⓇ is a landmark of forum roleplaying. Opened in 2002, Star Army is like an internet clubhouse for people who love roleplaying, art, and worldbuilding. Anyone 18 or older may join for free. New members are welcome! Use the "Register" button below.

Note: This is a play-by-post RPG site. If you're looking for the tabletop miniatures wargame "5150: Star Army" instead, see Two Hour Wargames.

• If you were supposed to get an email from the forum but didn't (e.g. to verify your account for registration), email Wes at [email protected] or talk to me on Discord for help. Sometimes the server hits our limit of emails we can send per hour.
  • Get in our Discord chat! Discord.gg/stararmy
  • 📅 July 2024 is YE 46.5 in the RP.

MT-J2-E3500 Molecular Circuitry Nodes

Khasidel

🌟 Site Supporter
Inactive Member
Submission Type: Nanotech computer technology
Submission URL: MT-J2-E3500 Molecular Circuitry Nodes

Faction:
FM Approved Yet? Yamataian Faction - No
Faction requires art? Generally yes

For Reviewers:
Contains Unapproved Sub-Articles:
Murasaki Technologies Comparitive Performance Rating
Contains New art? Yes
Previously Submitted? No

Notes:
Intended to serve as the basic technology behind all Murasaki Keiretsu computer systems down from nanotech brains up to starship computer cores.

Several items with the Node that I have concerns

The nodes can store information either in a biochemical format; mimicing the organic information storage of the humanoid brain, or as quantum data 'qubits' by using using individual atoms to represent bits of information.

I have issues with something so small being able to either. I would suggest that there be two kinds of Nodes, one set configured to use each type of storage method

individual nodes at faster-than-light velocities and without the

Why FTL for only centimeters of distance. The energy required to do that would probably drain these little objects anyway.

Oki-doki; I've changed it so that they utilize quantum data storage only; if for some reason I absolutely need something that stores information biochemically, then I'll make another variant or something.

I've also removed the FTL comms means between nodes, making them rely on biochemical and electrical communication methods only.

Excuse me.

Maybe there's a broader issue I missed when reading this article... but I'd like to know what is so bad with allowing a computer system to transmit at FTL speeds.

As far as I know, this isn't new: Yamatai's MEGAMI computer suites are already capable of transmitting data at several times the speed of light. I quote:
Data processing is further assisted by an electrogravitational temporal distortion field that can increase the processor and memory signal speeds to many times that of light, for use during continuum distortion travel.
I've found that a lot of Khasidel's tech articles can serve as small advances to unexplained components which did actually run those bits of little-explained Yamataian technology and how they get to work/perform so well. For all we know, this submission could easily be the equivalent of our computer's data bus lines or something, and be very similar to what our -IES already use.

The issue was that these are tiny microscopic computers. And the FTL communications was to transmit only a few centimeters.

>_>

...aannnnnd how is that any different to the IES like the MEGAMI?

You have a computer, which is supposedly made on the femtomaterial scale (arguably even more far-fetched) that transmits information through itself at 'several times the speed of light' (a.k.a.: FTL?), and that certainly includes inside the computer in question (meaning: on a scale of centimeters).

That seems to add up to me to every precedent set. What's more: MT-J2-E3500 Molecular Circuitry Node makes no pretense of being a wholly accomplished computer system, but rather makes a point of being an 'explained' component of a whole.

Fred,

In the case of the IES's there is the computer and then there are the additional components there of. Every one of the IES pages says at the heart is the quantum computer, and then they list the other systems which supply sensors, communications etc.

None of the IES are as small as a single cell. And the real reason for saying the FTL Comm was not needed and Khas had no problem with it, was that the range was only a few centimeters.

There is nothing to stop these devices when installed in a device from making use of a FTL system in that device. I'm just saying that having it in a single node is unrealistic to transmit for that short of a distance.

The only real reason to use FTL Communications is to avoid the time delay when transmitting over great distances.

Since Khas has addressed my concerns, I am Approving this as it stands.

When I started brainstorming this tech, I was considering if I might also try and create femptomachines and stuff for the Keiretsu instead of nanotech -- though as I considered it, I found the tech a little hard to justify to myself as it seems as though they're something bordering on mystical voodoo. :D

We're talking about machines able to reorder matter that are probably no bigger in size than an individual atom themselves; thus they couldn't be made of normal atoms. You'd need to use sub-atomic particles and probably exotic-matter particles of similar size, with properties that don't really exist in reality to create something like a femtomachine. I mean, how would they communicate, store information, break down matter, or even move in a controllable fashion? :lol: Stuff like that is pretty hard to even justify for nanomachines, and they're exponentially larger.

You'd probably have to have them manipulate individual gravitons or something to move, maybe even possibly communicate by gravity pulses; though those would be lightspeed and not FTL. Maybe they could use a bound aether particle -- which seems to have the ability to break down matter when used as a weapon -- to manipulate the nuclear bonds between atoms. I have no clue at the moment how I'd try to get them to store information though. I might still try to make femtomachines for the keiretsu later, if I can throw together a reasonable way to make the tech work in my own mind.

-----

As for having FTL in nanomachines; the reason I wanted to was as a way to justify having incredible processing speed -- not really to communicate over long distances.

Having nano-scale FTL would depend on how small we want such communications tech to be able to be built. I mean, in reality we have no idea how small such a technology, if it were even possible at all, could be.

It could have been done perhaps via quantum entaglement -- though I didn't want to use that tech because it technically has no distance limitation, which would make these nodes able to communicate with one another possibly from anywhere - which seems a little OP to me :P.

Anywhosit; thanks for the approval, Nash!

RPG-D RPGfix
Back